• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cost of Inhouse (Nath's study)

dreampop

Does anybody have an idea of the expected cost of Avindra Nath's 3 year study, or the Intramural funds set aside for it?

Denise

Does anybody have an idea of the expected cost of Avindra Nath's 3 year study, or the Intramural funds set aside for it?

I don't believe NIH has talked about the cost of the study.
I asked NIH if they have firmly committed to funding for each year/stage of the study. However that was among several questions that the communications/public liaison office did not answer (my questions were forwarded to that office for response).

Bob

I might be wrong, but as far as I recall, they've simply said that the costs come out of their own budget and that they don't have to set aside any specific amount for it. Or words to that effect. My own rough estimate is that the study will have to cost millions of dollars. Possibly between $5m to $20m, and even more by the time they reach the final stages of their stated ambitions.

dreampop

I might be wrong, but as far as I recall, they've simply said that the costs come out of their own budget and that they don't have to set aside any specific amount for it. Or words to that effect. My own rough estimate is that the study will have to cost millions of dollars. Possibly between $5m to $20m, and even more by the time they reach the final stages of their stated ambitions.

I was thinking it might be $20m, but my review of recent comparable studies indicate that it will probably be $2m-$10m. I just find it funny that Collins claims to let him show us he means business - and 3 years later the annual spending is the same, and the in house study he has championed will retread a lot of things that have already been demonstrated (except for some of the brain stuff). A $5m dollar 3 year study would be like less .8% a year of NIH Directors Fund. I mean this SHOULD be a big thing, but I don't seem them really swinging into action. And, honestly, as good as Nath's study is - how likely is it that a single study will solve any major me/cfs theoretical problem?