1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cost-effectiveness of counselling, graded-exercise and usual care for chronic fatigue - Sabes-Figura

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6963/12/264

*I gave each sentence its own paragraph

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I just read this paper. I don't think I would recommend reading it as not sure how useful it is. For one thing, they don't give any separate data on the CFS group. (Aside: However, I suppose reading such papers and the reviewers' comments educates me in general).

Here's a major limitation:
    A reviewer http://www.biomedcentral.com/imedia/1517403697654935_comment.pdf had talked about this:

They had also measured sickness absence but we don't get to see this data in either this paper or the main paper in Psychological Medicine.

Simon likes this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The most interesting thing in this paper to me doesn't in fact really relate to this trial specifically, but more to trials in general that use the Chalder fatigue scale, particularly when they use a threshold to signify significant or important changes. For example, the PACE Trial claimed 2 points would be sufficient for a clinically useful difference with large percentages in all groups (incl. the SMC no therapy group) achieving this.

This paper says:

Here's the relevant part of their letter (reference 10):

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks for your notes. Had they originally failed to mention the 12 months data then? Looks like the reviewer actually did a good job on that one.

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I just had a quick look at the draft:
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/imedia/9571941097543559_manuscript.pdf
    and this is all they said:
    i.e. no mention that the EQ-5D data would have given them this info, if they had collected it.
    I searched the draft for "eq" and no mention of EQ5D; similarly searching for "12" shows no mention that they originally had planned to do an economic analysis at this time.

Reviewers seemed to be fair and reasonably rigorous (on my fairly superficial read of it).

See more popular forum discussions.