1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cort's Chat with Dr. Mikovits

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Robin, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Robin

Robin Guest

Did they get the NIH grant after the study was published? I can't remember! Maybe she means that she hasn't gotten additional funding, especially from NIAID who is supposed to fund this stuff!
  2. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

good point, robin! i think they got the NIH funding in sept 2009. and xmrv science paper came out in october, right? but the sept 2009 funded study is the one i'm in: for xmrv! so i'm still confused.

this is the notice on the WPI website:

http://www.wpinstitute.org/news/news_current.html

September 24, 2009: WPI Awarded Prestigious NIH R01 Grant
    New Strategies to Decipher the Pathophysiology of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    WPI Research Director Dr. Judy Mikovits and collaborator Dr. Jonathan Kerr of St. George’s College in London were awarded this $1.6 million grant by the National Institute of Allergy And Infectious Diseases. This 5 year grant will provide critical support for the ongoing research into the causes and diagnosis of neuro-immune diseases.
  3. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    So expect a paper on this. NIH will want to see something published for their results, positive or negative.

Tina
  4. Robin

Robin Guest

Be used for your desktop wallpaper! (that's what you told me!)
  5. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA
    Koan, in case I wasn't clear, I was referring to Khaly's comments. I miss her here. I've been extra brain fogged for over a week now due to overactivity.

I like to be on a few groups. You obviously shouldn't have been banned from the Prohealth web site for that. They did have a survey recently. It seemed like they were considering major changes.

Nope, I don't believe that.:Retro smile:
  6. Koan

Koan Be the change.

Hey Roy,

Yeah, I miss Khaly, too. I wish she were here.

You were nice and clear. I just started musing and wandering around in my head -- always a dicey business. ;)

Yeah, my PH banning was many years ago and I was allowed to rejoin much later as Rafiki. I am still a member but I can't keep up with more than one ME community. Some might say I struggle with one!

Sorry your thinker is giving you trouble. Don't you just hate that. I do, too! :tongue:

Peace to you,
    :innocent1:
  7. JillBohr

JillBohr Senior Member

Columbus, OH
    Oh Rrrr, you are so Rrrrsome. Thank you!
  8. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I feel the same way.....What??? If that's true I have no idea of it....
  9. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    That was straight from Dr. Mikovits. What I think she was saying that the WPI itself hasn't received any federal funding for XMRV. Yes they are collaborating with the NCI - but I assume that's the NCI using their own (discretionary I believe) funds. WPI has apparently applied for grants to the Feds that have not been approved. That's unfortunate but not unusual - most grant applications are rejected - but if you put in a good number one would think at least one would get through. I don't know how many they've put in or how many have been rejected - but at least one was.

The WPI has actually gotten a good deal of federal and state funding for other projects (there's a big NIH immune grant - but apparently they haven't gotten anything specifically for XMRV yet - for in house WPI work.
  10. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Hi Everyone,

This is to alert folk to Mrs Whittemore's excellent speech which has been posted on Global Action a few hours ago. Sadly, I don't yet know how to set up the link, but it is well worth reading. Perhaps someone could post it on a separate thread for people to read?

Thanks
  11. Lynn

Lynn Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.