1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cort's Chat with Dr. Mikovits

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Robin, Apr 23, 2010.

1. lululowry

lululowry Senior Member

Athens, Georgia
    Wait, so there is a NEW, as yet undisclosed CDC sponsored study??!?!?

2. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Wow! (Who knew?) That's the power of healthy, financially able donors. They certainly do get results. I'll bet they get into see Senators (not staffers). I was at a lobby day with Brian Smith, on the CAA's Board of Directors, where we walked into the Office to see a staffer just as the Congressman happened to be letting someone else out. Brian practically grabbed him by his lapels and into his office we went - the only non-staffer we saw that day!

Its tough when you don't have clout!

3. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Sorry - no she was VERY emphatic - I toned down the language a bit because it was kind of a private discussion where you sometimes really let go with your language. (ie those bas****ds! (she didn't say that -just an example ;)_

4. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    I agree Cort, that Dr. Mikovits is very passionate and candid in her responses. And I like it. I like it a lot. It feels great, as a long neglected patient community, to have someone come out fighting for us. I think everyone has become so weary over the years, that her passionate responses are invigorating. Go Dr. Judy!

(And I think "toning down" the post was also a good idea.)

5. Kati

Kati Patient in training

What is spectacular about Dr Mikovits is that she cares. As far as I know she has no connections whatsoever with CFS and yet she agreed to move to Reno, and research a disease that no one would fund. It takes someone with a lot of character.

6. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    I know for a fact the autism community has a couple of senators on their side. I mean these are hard-core supporters, not fair-weather friends. There are some rich, powerful and connected people affected by autism (e.g. kids or grandkids).

It also helps that the disease is obvious to see (not hidden like CFS), and occurs in children.

Finally there are the autism moms who are a force to be reckoned with!

We could really do with those guys on our side. If XMRV is dually implicated in ME/CFS & Autism think of what we could do together.

7. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    Whew, thanks Cort. I misinterpreted the "toned down" statement too.

Glad to hear she is not only sure but "_____ sure".

Tina

8. Koan

Koan Be the change.

9. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    I agree - what powerful, powerful partners they would be :)

10. Cort

Raleigh, NC
  11. Alexia

Alexia Senior Member

Portugal
    Thanks again Cort, you are great!!

12. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA
  13. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

-------
    What?

14. Robin

Robin Guest

She's referring to the linked prohealth stuff here.

http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=1384254

As a former moderator on this site, I will say with 100% certainty that they absolutely can not read PMs.

Admins on this site have the least restricted privileges (moderators are more restricted than admins) and even they can not read PMs.

15. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

yes, i, too, prefer this type of interview (with the interviewee quoted). is that possible, cort? or too hard? i know that requires transcribing. and that is a lot of work!

update: nevermind. i just read that the interview was from an email chat and not quotable due to passions. i have experienced judy's passions, too, via email, and tho i LOVE THEM it is best to tone them down before we post her thoughts publicly...

16. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

That's good Robin, because those pictures you sent me could... never mind.

17. Koan

Koan Be the change.

Hey Roy,

As a pretty consistent thorn in Cort's side :innocent1: I can say that one is not booted for being so.

I miss Aftermath, big time, but completely understand his reasons for leaving. I think it was a big, big loss to the forum.

There is a lot of opinion mixed among the fact in that thread. Some I know is probably true for others because I've experienced it myself - being slapped behind the scenes by a mod/admin, for instance. Some I haven't so I can't know or comment. PR has not been and never will be perfect. What is?

ProHealth once, many years ago, banned me for asking why another member was banned because, at the time, there was a rule you could not mention the disappeared. It's changed now, that's good. I protested the banning of another member here and, well, I'm still here.

I don't always get where some people ( :innocent1: ) are coming from but nobody has ever stopped me from saying so. And, fortunately for me and my comfort here, the views I share are the majority views on the forum at the moment.

I'm here and not there because there are more members here who share my symptom complex than on PH. I'm here because there are a lot of very bright members here. I'm here because the global community is better represented here. I'm here because the science is discussed and debated in a way I find educational and stimulating. I like some of the forum features - like being able to quote a post - because they further the dialogue but it's not a top priority. I'm here because of the other people who are here.

There are always going to be people who don't agree with me! :worried: Crazy as I may think that is ;) but, so long as there is not censorship which silences my objections, I can live with that.

I'd sure like Aftermath to come back, though.

:hug:

PS Good thing about the PMs!!!!!

18. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

i just sent the autism speaks link you mention above to WPI's grant writers. michael someone-or-other. i called the WPI main number and sent the link to the woman who answered the phone and she said she'd send my email to michael.

19. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

quote from cort's interview: "Dr. Mikovits stated she knew Dr. Huber's and the CDC's papers were at the publisher and it sounded like she was feeling good about them."

does anyone know what publication dr huber's paper will be in???? and is this linked to XMRV at all? (i'm in dr huber's study.)

20. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

cort: i'm confused by the statement that WPI has received no federal funding. their current XMRV study is with the NIH.

rrrr

See more popular forum discussions.