Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

cortisol, pounding heart/palps, overheating

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by alice111, Dec 23, 2014.

1. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
    anyone have any experience, or knowledge on the relationship between these things - cortisol, pounding heart and heart palps, and overheating?
    most of what I have come across seems to indicate these as symptoms of low cortisol, but can they be caused by high cortisol as well?

2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I can't write a long message now but you might consider taking some sea salt in water for the pounding heart and palps. Low sodium is a common cause and goes along with adrenal dysfunction.

If your bp is high, that is a good indicator of too much cortisol and vice versa.

3. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
  4. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Here's how I have come to understand it:

Low cortisol is like high cortisol because high cortisol can make cells resistant to all hormones, including cortisol itself. This means with high cortisol, you get some resistance at the cellular level, which would theoretically make it feel allot like low cortisol. High cortisol can also cause cellular resistance to other hormones such as testosterone, progesterone, and estrogen. Cortisol is needed for thyroid hormone to be accessed by the cell. Too little and it makes you hypothyroid. Too much and it again, makes you hypothyroid. Hypothyroid is probably what causes most of the symptoms, but the cells would theoretically also be deficient in all hormones. This is why high cortisol can feel allot like low cortisol.

That is my current understanding. It has taken allot of time to understand it.

The question is, why is cortisol high or low?

It's important to get cortisol testing done. You can do the 4x/day saliva test, blood serum total and free cortisol, and also 24 hour urine collection for total, metabolized, and free (google DUTCH hormone testing for this one).

5. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I have low cortisol all the time, ok BP and constant heart palpitations. I take Propranolol.

6. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
    @drob31 the problem is from my understanding you can't test once you are one cortef?

August59 likes this.
  7. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

You're not supposed to be on it when you do the test, so you could try tapering off and doing the test if you're doc is okay with that.

August59 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.