1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cortisol not being consistent in blood and saliva

Discussion in 'Hormones' started by Beyond, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    One thing I have noticed that is pretty nuts is that my saliva, DHEA, pregnenolone and progesterone and urinary cortisol are wicked low. My blood DHEAS is low as well BUT my blood cortisol is usually high, or very high, off the limit range. Is this because of my fear of needles? It is not such a big fear, I just get nervous when they draw my blood, like most of people. This really raises questions, because at the end blood cortisol should be the best measure, because cortisol travels trough blood and not saliva. I mean if the cortisol in blood raises because of fear then that means my adrenals are NOT that fried up.

My blood DHEA, ACTH and cortisol were tested by allopaths in blood several times and they were low, high and high respectively. The urinary and saliva were done by an alternative functional doc. Once I tested with a private lab my blood cortisol and it was low, but not wicked low, it was in range. I also tested saliva cortisol with this lab and it was very very low.

Why when the tests are performed by allopaths my basal cortisol is so high? Is blood a better measure as opposed to what we are told in the Internet or it is not? o_O
  2. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I believe serum measures total cortisol and saliva only measures free cortisol, but don't take this to the bank as I'm very unsure about it. Many people do believe the needle in serum test can cause a quick elevation of cortisol, but haven't seen this written in a study.

ETA: My cortisol test is very low at 8am, but climbs to above range by 12pm and is flatlined from then all the way to 12am, so it is dropping drastically between 12am to 8am when it supposed to be opposite. I had 2 - 24 hour cortisol - urine and both times it was "0" as in no detectable cortisol. I don't know what this means, but I know my rhythm is messed up since I usually don't go to sleep until 5 or 6am and wake up about 11am. I think I'm going to do another 4x saliva and see what it looks like and if it is still the same I am going to try some Isocort first thing in the morning and use phosphatylserine in the afternoon and night to bring it down.
    Beyond likes this.
  3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    August59 is probably right.

Also, cortisol is deactivated into cortisone. This wouldn't be of the same use to the body but it might still be picked up on a serum cortisol test.
    Beyond likes this.
  4. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Interesting guys, thanks for answering. I definitely KNOW I have "adrenal fatigue", because as August, I too don´t have a circadian rhythm. I just lay in bed until I drop asleep and often takes hours. I don´t feel drowsiness or sleepiness at night since the onset of my symptoms three years ago (or four?). My 24 h saliva showed very low levels in all parts of the day.

I know that my adrenal hormones especially cortisol are very very low, but is strange that the serum test of the allopaths comes back so high and saliva and urine are SO low. Both urine and saliva test FREE cortisol so that might be why. I know that because the other day looking at the spreadsheet of tests in the GP I read that there is a test of urine and it said "free cortisol". ACTUALLY, my serum testosterone (total) is always very high, but my FREE testosterone is always low or very low.

http://www.macses.ucsf.edu/research/allostatic/pdf/faqs-salivcort.pdf

In the Internet it says "salivary cortisol measures unbound cortisol"... At the end, it never ceases to amaze me how clueless and pathetic are the allopaths. They test a person with severe adrenal fatigue and their test is so inappropiate that actually comes back saying that person has HIGH cortisol!! How many people are suffering needlessly because of this cyclopean incompetence?
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  5. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Free cortisol levels in salvia and serum do correlate, but they are lower in saliva. How much lower, I'm not sure at this point.

http://cro.sagepub.com/content/13/2/197.full
    Beyond likes this.
  6. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    That´s an interesting input Adreno. But the point is... what they are testing when they draw my blood is NOT free cortisol so...
  7. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Your free serum cortisol can be calculated if you know your CBG (cortisol-binding globulin):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12727952
  8. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    No they never put that value (CBG) in my tests. What I can get out of all of this is that their blood measurements of "basal cortisol" are very misleading and of no diagnostic utility. Is pretty obvious that my free cortisol is very low, however what comes out always in the standard tests done by endos or GP´s is high "basal cortisol". Thus, we find that this statement from the link I provided,
    and what can be read in the study you linked (aprox 80% of serum cortisol is bound) correlates well with reality and my personal observations.

So now what is strange is, since my albumin is not high in tests, what could cause such an increase in CBG? o_O
  9. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
  10. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Gread find adreno. The study shows people with certain mutation have higher CBG and lower cortisol and this mutation is more common in CFS people. This is actually such a good find that I will add it to a list/thread I am putting together about HPA and neurotransmitter genes and how to potentially treat them.

Full text here. http://www.researchgate.net/publica...R224_polymorphism/file/d912f5101ac2a66e8b.pdf

However, the most disabling and rare of these SERPINA6 (the name of the CBG gene) appearing in CFS studies are actually those that REDUCE CBG .I have to find that rs in the study.
  11. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    So is this something we can look up on 23andme?
  12. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    I am still trying to gather the rs´s, but yes we can look it up in 23andme. The gene is SERPINA6, but I haven´t been able to get the specific rs´s...
  13. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I have had all the fun I can have with 23andme tonight trying to get the text file...but please post the rs's here if you find them. I'd be very interested!
  14. invisiblejungle

invisiblejungle Senior Member

Chicago suburbs
    I've tested my saliva cortisol 4 times over the past 6 years, and it's always been low. However, my 24-hour urinary cortisol was normal, and my serum cortisol was near the top of the normal range.

If your serum cortisol is normal or even high, I would think of it as a "good" thing. Those of us who have spent a lot of time studying adrenal issues have probably made ourselves paranoid, thinking, "Omigod, my adrenals are dead!" If serum cortisol is not low, then it means that the adrenals are able to produce.

I definitely think that CBG is the culprit for some of us. I can't find the reference right now, but a thyroid website mentioned that hypothyroidism can increase CBG levels. http://tiredthyroid.com/ (By the way, this is the best thyroid info site I've found so far.)
    Beyond likes this.
  15. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Hey invisiblejungle, actually the mystery lays in the fact that my free cortisol is very low in urine and saliva along with all the other adrenal hormones, glucorticoids and metabolites. My adrenals are shot, that is for sure. So I was wondering why in blood is always so high... Yah I know I have sub-clinical hypothyroidism, you always develop that from years of adrenal fatigue, plus it was confirmed in my urine thyroid tests.

See more popular forum discussions.