Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cortisol and NSAIDs

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Aerowallah, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Aerowallah

Aerowallah

Anyone know whether Motrin, Aleve, aspirin, and Tylenol lower cortisol significantly enough that ME'ers need to be conscious of this when taking NSAIDs?

I'm having amalgams removed, and with a good protocol the problem was not stirring up mercury but porcelains that harden in minutes and cause bite issues, muscle / tendon pain, and repeat visits. Softer mercury amalgams took 24 hours to harden and the bite adjusted better!

Back to cortisol--literature suggests Omega-3 foods, nuts, kale etc lower cortisol by reducing inflammation and the stress response, and thus the need for cortisol secretion. So would NSAIDs, too, I suppose. But would an an "exogenous replacement" for natural hormone flatten the cortisol curve over time the way steroids, do?

I've been on 4,000 mg of Motrin daily for several weeks as this sorts out and it's getting harder and harder to get out of bed--like my first year of ME. And like my onset of ME, the weakness resolves early evening. No difficult sleeping again, yet.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    Did you mean to write 4,000 mg? 4,000 mg a day of Motirn is a massive dose. Many/most of us with cfs/me already have problems with our GI tracts and NSAID's are very hard on the gut, even at doses much lower than 4,000 mg a day. Did you mean 400 mg a day?

3. Aerowallah

Aerowallah

800 mg every 6 hours is max dose--3200 / day--at which side effects are "unlikely". I go one red pill more or else there is no effect for me against tooth pain. I have skipped days in those weeks when not needed. It's in those days when I couldn't see the dentist and I started dosing round the clock that the weakness / achiness came on. No GI issues--cup of kefir with meds does wonders.

Anyway, trading my ibuprofen for clove oil and hot packs until next appt Monday. Cloves can burn gums after three days (and drop blood sugar), but I'll monitor the fatigue.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  4. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    Best of luck with the clove oil and hot packs! Pain sucks.

5. Aerowallah

Aerowallah

Thanks, and your sensitivity to pain is worse when you're B-12 deficient. This might have been more miserable without a couple months of methylation under my belt...

ljimbo423 likes this.
  6. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    I recently had my Cortisol tested via a blood draw (before 10am), was high normal. I take NSAIDs all the time, I am still rather active, which increases my pain, so I take them quite frequently.

Done the saliva cortisol testing done a few times in the years past, my results were not normal. Forget what a typical result should look like, but think mine was opposite.

GG

See more popular forum discussions.