• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Corticosteroid

paolo

Hi,

does someone use corticosteroids?

My physcian has precribed me Deflazacort, a corticosteroid. He claimed some case of succes with this drug.

Ema

While it may be helpful to replace cortisol if levels are low by using physiological amounts of steroids, it is hardly ever helpful long term to use pharmacological dosing of steroids. They may reduce symptoms in the short term due to their anti-inflammatory action but high doses can cause immune suppression and a host of undesirable side effects over time.

I would not consider high dose steroids as a good treatment option for ME/CFS. I do think that replacing cortisol in those that have tested low can help increase functioning.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
My cortisol level is normal.

If its a morning blood test they say it needs to be in the upper third of the range to be optimal.
Many suggest doing a 4 x a day saliva test to get a better picture of whats going on.
An alternative to hydrocortisone is pregnenolone.
Have u also had dhea tested?

paolo

I haven't had my dhea tested.

My urinary cortisol level is above the upper limit, while the morning blood test is normal.

My physician, one of the most famous here in Italy, said he has obtained some permanent succes with a particoular kind of corticosteroid, deflazacort (brand name: Flantadin).

I've known a patient who has permanently recovered from CFS after some months with this drug; but she has been ill for only two years, and who knows what kind of illness she had...

Last edited:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
@paolo deflazacort after a quick google seems to be a prodrug which is metabolized into cortisol. 70-90% potency of prednisone. I wouldn't think that it wouldnt have any special effects over prednisone or hydrocortisone.

I don't think it would be a cure all but I guess with the person that was cured maybe this helped raise a low cortisol level so there immune system could function properly and the thing on their side was short two yrs with cfs.

Maybe this shows with the correct treatment early in the disease less then three to five years than chances of recovery or remission are greatly improved versus a cfser greater than five yrs duration. Treatment though is an individualized thing which depends on abnormalities found in tests etc.

Cheers!?