Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cortef anyone?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by charlie1, Mar 15, 2015.

1. charlie1

charlie1 Senior Member

Canada
    Can anyone say that for certain they have seen improvement by taking Cortef in regards to increased daily energy levels and /or decreased PEM?
    Thanks.

2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I couldn't do anything before steroid replacement. It isn't a cure but is one of my most helpful interventions for sure.

Infections of all sorts dysregulate the endocrine system. So getting those under control is another way to positively influence the HPA axis.

Rlman and charlie1 like this.
  3. charlie1

charlie1 Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks Ema. I'm hoping to try it soon.

4. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I've never taken Cortef but did take adrenal glandulars for adrenal support and was helped immensely by them. My chiropractor told me that steroids like Cortef would push the adrenals to work harder (and eventually exhaust them further), whereas the glandulars would allow the adrenals to rest and recover. I took Drenatrophin PMG and Drenamin by Standard Process, as well as Cytozyme AD by Biotics and Adrenogen I think by Metagnics. All were good products.

They all helped reduce or eliminate fatigue caused by weak adrenals but did nothing for PEM which I believe is a separate issue. I have found that branched chain amino acids and l-glutatmine are helping me significantly with PEM.

charlie1 likes this.
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    This makes no sense at all...especially considering the active ingredient (cortisol) in the glandulars is the same. The problem with glandulars is that they often contain adrenaline as well which can be a disaster if you already have high adrenaline levels. Hello, panic and wired but tired.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that chiropractors can sell glandulars but can't prescribe HC.

charlie1 likes this.
  6. charlie1

charlie1 Senior Member

Canada
    I tried bovine adrenal glandular extract but saw no improvement in energy :( It seems that the conventional/traditional doctors are against the hydorcortisone whereas functional medicine and some alternative medicine doctors feel differently. It does seem to cause controversy.

That's what I hope for IF the dr. says I am deficient and IF he will replace with Cortef.

7. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I'm not saying don't try the Cortef, hopefully it will help you. I did find with the glandulars that initially I had to take 3 or 4 times the recommended dose as my adrenals were so weak. I doubt if the standard dose would have helped me at that time, so I think results may be dose-dependent, or at least dose-related.

Ema makes some good points, I'd have to do more research. All I know is I've had very good results with the glandulars, when taken in sufficient doses.

charlie1 likes this.
  8. maddietod

maddietod Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I took cortef in 2001 for a few years I think. It helped immediately with energy, and was totally wonderful. But eventually I realized that the weirdly compulsive upsurge in libido was due to the cortef. It led me into some very strange relationships.

charlie1 likes this.
  9. charlie1

charlie1 Senior Member

Canada
    increased libido is usually a positive consequence ;) but it sounds like your situation was a negative. I assume you are not on it now which is a shame if it helped immediately with energy. Man, why can't treatments just be straight forward???

10. maddietod

maddietod Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    Yeah, every (male) doctor I mentioned it to looked perplexed when I complained about it. But libido disconnected from actual attraction to the personality is very weird.

11. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Absolutely and without a doubt. I believe the majority reason behind the improvement was reduction in inflammation.

12. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I 94 I was dx'ed by an endocrinologist with relative adrenal insufficiency. He put me on cortef . Maybe 2 months later I developed horrible allergies. He told me that the Cortef suppressed my immune system.

Shortly after that I got some unknown virus, was hallucinating driving to his office and was left with ME.

All this for a disease that wasn't even real. Had he supported my adrenals instead of crashing them who knows where I'd be today.

Just a side note, in 2011 he was arrested for having sex in his car with his 22 yr old office assistant and doing coke.

Valentijn, maddietod and JAH like this.
  13. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    pepsi max is much better than coke :)

14. JAH

JAH Senior Member

San Jose
    You made me laugh with that one. My doc told me that cortef worked wonders with a few of her patients, (Not me, exacerbated my insomnia. Really strong salt craving.) and as far as I know, she has not been arrested on sex and drug charges:)

minkeygirl, heapsreal and catly like this.
  15. cb2

cb2 Senior Member

it is good to have the humor here, and i may have to try "pepsi max" never heard of it. and sex, well no energy or desire- but i do remember those days! anyway, i was seeing a dr at Holtrof a few years ago and they prescribed slow release cortisol.. it gave me a boost but was too much and i over did it, that is how i am . still trying to learn pacing when i have energy- long story short because i already had some ( i had them swtich me to cortef instead) the endo i swtiche some of my care too refilled my rx for cortef, my saliva tests were on the low end and dhea was horrible low- anyway, i couldnt tolerate thyroid meds at all without cortef, and i have found since the cortef i have gotten less high fevers and lung infections- of which i was getting about every 3 months, for unknown reasons.

i sometimes think about tapering off the cortef but not ready just yet- and it i did provide a great boost of energy in the beginning- at a low dose,.. and i slowly worked my way up- which i guess is the backwards way to treat.

See more popular forum discussions.