• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Corporate Sponsor to fund private ME research?

Groggy Doggy

Are we looking at this backwards? Could we get a corporate sponsor to help fund private ME research? Yesterday I spent $.79 and purchased a small single sized serving of a product called Vega Sport Electrolyte Hydrator. After mixing up the contents with a tall glass of cold water, I was amazed how much better I felt. This is probably no surprise to many PR folks, who know we are 'electrolyte' challenged. So today I started to ponder, what if we found a natural based product that helped to relieve our symptoms? A product that made our lives, each day, just a little bit more tolorable? Could we endorse a product, that helps many of us, and in return gain private dollars that go toward ME research? If there are between 1M and 4M people with ME in the US, according to the CDC budget cut justification posting, then that's a huge market potential for a product. Also, there must be scientific data behind the formulation of a product, that we could potentially use to help us understand our illness.

I want to put this idea out the community to see if anyone sees an opportunity here? I am not advocating for a particular product or brand. I think we need to be exploring creative ways to think 'out of the box'.

GD :dog:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Just briefly, drink looks OK. Wish merchandisers would be a litlle more precise--Mg comes in many forms. Least available but cheapest being oxide.

And really picky but I'd like to know amounts--unless I just didn't find that. My thinking is that for people like us who need this our electrolytes are unbalanced. Meaning we may need less K+ than Mg or not much phosphorus (both phosphorus and potassium are replenished through soil fertilizer and therefore our food if I'm not mistaken).

I recognise these are fussy points. I haven't found a premixed drink I'm happy with. They often come with B vitamins and that creates a whole different set of issues. Need one that keeps it simple.

Groggy Doggy

Just briefly, drink looks OK. Wish merchandisers would be a litlle more precise--Mg comes in many forms. Least available but cheapest being oxide.

And really picky but I'd like to know amounts--unless I just didn't find that. My thinking is that for people like us who need this our electrolytes are unbalanced. Meaning we may need less K+ than Mg or not much phosphorus (both phosphorus and potassium are replenished through soil fertilizer and therefore our food if I'm not mistaken).

I recognise these are fussy points. I haven't found a premixed drink I'm happy with. They often come with B vitamins and that creates a whole different set of issues. Need one that keeps it simple.

Hi @Snowdrop

I bought a few more brands to try out today (all said Electrolytes on the package)

FYI - For the Vega Sport Electrolyte Hydrator, here are the ingredients:

upload_2016-6-29_14-59-25.png
upload_2016-6-29_14-59-25.png
GD

Dolphin

Groggy Doggy

Found this list of Corporate Sponsors for ALS. Wondering how to do the same for ME? Any ideas?

http://www.alsa.org/about-us/sponsors-partners/

Contributions $100,001 - $500,000
Quantum
Numotion
Permobil
Phi Delta Theta
Bayada Home Health Care

Contributions $50,001-$100,000
Biogen Idec
Cytokinetics, Inc.
Pharma

Contributions $10,000 - $50,000
Booz Allen Hamilton
Hill-Rom
Pfizer Inc.

Contributions $1,000 - $10,000
Athena Health
Bestic Products
Biogen Idec
Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
BlueSky Designs
Breas Medical
CareFusion
Electromed
Halyard Health
Philips Respironics
Prism Medical
ResMed
Sunrise Medical
Synapse Biomedical
Tobii-Dynavox

panckage

Isn't that what a company did with the Synergy trial? The horribly designed trial that made it so there was no way to tease out whether ritalin or the 'vitamin' effected the patient?

http://thesynergytrial.org

Oh God look how they try to pass the trial off as a success
http://thesynergytrial.org/final-study-results.html
:rolleyes:
I'd be a but suspicious that other companies are going to try for the same shoddy research in order to make the product look like it's something it's not

Groggy Doggy

Isn't that what a company did with the Synergy trial? The horribly designed trial that made it so there was no way to tease out whether ritalin or the 'vitamin' effected the patient?

http://thesynergytrial.org

Oh God look how they try to pass the trial off as a success
http://thesynergytrial.org/final-study-results.html
:rolleyes:
I'd be a but suspicious that other companies are going to try for the same shoddy research in order to make the product look like it's something it's not

Wow, this is poorly designed, but most likely they needed drug company money to fund the trial, so had to throw in a drug.
Geesh...like nutrients will somehow fix the metabolic issue we have? More snake oil. More time lost. More of us are dying.

Okay, maybe I need to think about another product.

How about a reclining wheel chair?