• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

corn intolerance/allergy - anyone else?

sensing progress

From what I've read PWCs often have food allergy/intolerances, with the most common being dairy and gluten. I have intolerance to dairy but strangely seem to have no problem with gluten. Unfortunately I do have an allergy to corn. This makes eating a major challenge since in the US we subsidize corn production so heavily that HFCS ends up in almost every sauce, condiment, and any other product you can imagine. Just wondering if any others out there in the same situation?

awol

not with corn, but soy intolerance causes me similar problems. It is in everything!

jeffrez

I'm allergic to corn, soy, wheat, all dairy, and all other grains, except only slight allergic to buckwheat and spelt. You don't know how good you've got it. ;-)

Forbin

After becoming ill, I developed what appeared to be an extreme reaction to the sugar substitute known as high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). It included rapid, pounding heart, flushed head and chest, profuse sweating, diuresis and generally feeling terrible. It took a while to narrow down the culprit to this one ingredient, but this reaction would come on, to varying degrees, within an hour of eating anything with HFCS. The reaction itself would last about and hour or two. Since HFCS is a powerful sweetener, I have recently (as a result of posts on this board) come to wonder if these symptoms might be caused not by corn, but rather by reactive hypoglycemia. On the other hand I only get these severe symptoms from HFCS and not from any other sweetener, including regular corn syrup.

I have always wondered what, if any, relationship HFCS might have had in regard to the CFS outbreaks in the early 1980s. HFCS was introduced into the food supply just at that time when I (and many others) initially became ill. It was first introduced into liquids such as soft drinks and only later was a method discovered for using it in baked goods. My most extreme (and scary) experience was a near-anaphylactic reaction which came from drinking a can of Coke on an empty stomach on a day when I had skipped breakfast. This was actually what lead to my suspicion of HFCS, as there is very little else in Coca-Cola.

Im not suggesting that my sensitivity to HFCS lead to CFS. The opposite is most probably true. I suspect that (in my case at least) CFS lead to gastric problems which (via leaky gut or some other means) resulted in this sensitivity to high fructose corn syrup. When tested for allergies, I did react strongly to corn as well as to several other things, but they havent given me anything like the trouble caused by HFCS.

caledonia

OMG yes. Corn is one of my biggies. The main problem with me is that it buzzes me awake and causes my sleep cycle to move rapidly forward. My other big one is gluten, which is more of an IBS issue.

Since both of those are in everything, I make all my own food from scratch and bring my own food with me when I go out.

IntuneJune

Corn, soy, wheat, gluten (celiac disease), yeast, citrus, and having eliminated all of that, I am reacting to other grains as well.

My symptoms improved with eliminating these from my diet.

But I believe this is not an indication or root cause of our DD's. But by eliminating these allergens, I am alleviating the load on my already-compromised immune system.

June

Victoria

I'm allergic to corn, soy, wheat, all dairy, and all other grains, except only slight allergic to buckwheat and spelt. You don't know how good you've got it. ;-)

When you say all grains, I assume you are including millet? Some people with grains probs can eat millet (which is good, as millet is the only grain not highly acidic).

brenda

I went through a short period when I was allergic to all grains and had to exclude rice as well but I can eat it again since excluding everything that upset my immune system and gave it a break - it only took a few weeks till I could add some things back. Howver I am living on vegetables except potatoes, fruit, rice and seeds. The seeds include millet, quinoa, aramanth, buckwheat, hemp and chia. The first 3 are cooked after soaking for 2 days to neutralise the anti-nutrients and I am sprouting some chia seeds at the moment.. Chia seeds are amazing. I make a sort of loaf with millet cooked with onions and put it in a mould until cold then I can slice it and fry it gently in ghee which is ok for my dairy allergies. Millet however can affect the thyroid.

Hysterical Woman

Thanks Mr. Kite,

I do indeed have it better than many others. But then, it's hard to know for sure since I continue to be,

HYSTERICAL

xchocoholic

I don't eat gluten, dairy, corn, soy, yada yada ... well let's just say that all I eat are meats, fruits and veggies. Oh and chocolate ... : ) .. It took me years to figure out what I could or couldn't eat. I took out most of the foods I now avoid for a month or more and then added it back in to see if I was going to react. And chocolate has always been a non responder ... yeah !!! I love sun dried tomatoes, bacon and pork ribs but they make my FM pain come back.

For the most part I feel "healthy at rest" on this diet and if I eat something that makes me feel bad or doesn't give me energy I can tell what it was. Corn never made me feel sick but it didn't make me feel good either. HFCS turns me into the Energizer Bunny on crack ... I figured this out because baby iron has it in there ... those poor kids ... I mostly avoid corn because I have neurological problems and Dogtorj has linked glutamates to neurological problems / seizures. Glutamates are found most heavily in gluten, dairy, soy and corn.

Here's a thread on Dogtorj ...

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?3565-Food-intolerance-by-a-vet

There's corn allergy info and I think that there's even a message board on the web if you need help ...

I became ill with our thing in 1987. I never had any serious allergic problems. However in the mid to late 1990's I began to develop food allergies. I ended up in the Emergency room with anaphylactic shock three times over about 5 years......Each time it was a different food. They are CELERY, then MANGO, then PINEAPPLE. I am deathly allergic to these 3 iterms while previously I was able to indulge in all three without problem...

Athene

ihateticks.me
Lots of people with food allergies have very bad reactions to corn. It is in the Top Ten Most Allergenic Foods list. I am a member of a forum for parents with severely allergic children adn they talk about it as the food of the devil there.

I think this is connected with the fact that it is a highly genetically modified crop and has DNA from non-food crops spliced into it. It is also selectively bred to produce strains that are resistant to damage from heavy insecticide spraying and other pollution. Plants which are tough in this way survive by producing "defence proteins" which are protein sequences that have been proven to be those most likely to provoke allergic reactions in susceptible people.

I also think corn has some effect on people with leaky gut. Lots of autistic children freak out horrifically when the yeat corn. My son does. I think when molecules or some substance from it leaks into the blood it has neural effects. The parents on the allergy forum I mentioned describe their children (not autistic ones) going mental and trashing their rooms or even self harming after eating corn.

Forbin,
Do you have problems with diarrhoea after the corn syrup, or with fruits in general? Just asking becuase peope who are fructose malabsorbers get a drop in blood sugar after eating it, and some people get those horrible symptoms you described. (In milder cases it is just tummy upset).

Mr. Kite,
I know what you mean, I am also allergic/intolerant to all those things and buckwheat and spelt too (spelt has so much gluten it is evil stuff). I recommend quinoa as a decent grain substitute which is very nutricious. You can make a very nice type of "risotto" with it.

Victoria

I have never tested positive for a corn allergy, but I can't eat it anymore, it gives me severe bowel pain.

My theory is that alot of my food sensitivities are a result of the pesticides, hormones & antibiotics in the crops(or animal feed). I genuinely believe I am much better eating organic foods. I used to feel a little dizzy & sometimes got tachycardia from supermarket chickens & eggs, but don't seem to feel unwell with organic chickens & eggs. I definitely get hives from eating oats (& organic oats are one of the healthiest foods around).

I really believe additives/preservatives & chemicals are causing problems even in healthy people.

Food intolerance is becoming a very big health issue.

jeffrez

Lots of people with food allergies have very bad reactions to corn. It is in the Top Ten Most Allergenic Foods list. I am a member of a forum for parents with severely allergic children adn they talk about it as the food of the devil there.

I think this is connected with the fact that it is a highly genetically modified crop and has DNA from non-food crops spliced into it. It is also selectively bred to produce strains that are resistant to damage from heavy insecticide spraying and other pollution. Plants which are tough in this way survive by producing "defence proteins" which are protein sequences that have been proven to be those most likely to provoke allergic reactions in susceptible people.

I also think corn has some effect on people with leaky gut. Lots of autistic children freak out horrifically when the yeat corn. My son does. I think when molecules or some substance from it leaks into the blood it has neural effects. The parents on the allergy forum I mentioned describe their children (not autistic ones) going mental and trashing their rooms or even self harming after eating corn.

Forbin,
Do you have problems with diarrhoea after the corn syrup, or with fruits in general? Just asking becuase peope who are fructose malabsorbers get a drop in blood sugar after eating it, and some people get those horrible symptoms you described. (In milder cases it is just tummy upset).

Mr. Kite,
I know what you mean, I am also allergic/intolerant to all those things and buckwheat and spelt too (spelt has so much gluten it is evil stuff). I recommend quinoa as a decent grain substitute which is very nutricious. You can make a very nice type of "risotto" with it.

good recommendation. I basically live on quinoa and lentils. Somehow with all the allergies, leaky gut, etc. I managed not to be gluten intolerant, no celiac, so the spelt is okay as long as I don't eat too much at once. But quinoa is the best "grain" available, I think, and it's also a complete protein in itself. good stuff. :)

I don't eat gluten, dairy, corn, soy, yada yada ... well let's just say that all I eat are meats, fruits and veggies. Oh and chocolate ... : ) ..

Me too! Meats, fruits, veggies and chocolate! How funny, I am not alone! I was also immensely relieved when my IgG food panel showed cocoa as non-reactive, despite 30 reactive foods. I cannot live without cocoa. Makes me feel focused, relaxed, happy. That being said, only the Lindt brand, and only the 70% or the 85% plain dark work for me. Any other chocolate I tried gives me a reaction, especially the organic ones, go figure... Probably a fungus contamination issue... I eat one or two bars of Lindt a day (100g to 200g). This is a TRUCKLOAD of antioxidants. My doctor always Oooooh and Aaaaah about my wonderful cholesterol results. I think dark chocolate is what does that. :)

xchocoholic

Me too! Meats, fruits, veggies and chocolate! How funny, I am not alone! I was also immensely relieved when my IgG food panel showed cocoa as non-reactive, despite 30 reactive foods. I cannot live without cocoa. Makes me feel focused, relaxed, happy. That being said, only the Lindt brand, and only the 70% or the 85% plain dark work for me. Any other chocolate I tried gives me a reaction, especially the organic ones, go figure... Probably a fungus contamination issue... I eat one or two bars of Lindt a day (100g to 200g). This is a TRUCKLOAD of antioxidants. My doctor always Oooooh and Aaaaah about my wonderful cholesterol results. I think dark chocolate is what does that. :)

lol ... I like Lindt's too but I think ? that I had a gluten reaction to it. In fact now that I think of it, Lindt won't guarantee that their chocolate is GF ... I eat Equal Exchange 71 or 8? % but it's real expensive. Chocolove is cheaper and appears to be GF but it's not as good ... I have great cholestral levels too ... go team Paleo ... lol ...

xchocoholic

Forbin,

Mr. Kite,

Athene,

My understanding is that it's the glutamates in corn that is causing those problems in autistic kids. I "THINK" ?? "Maybe" ?? it was Dogtorj who wrote about this. Also though, we see far too many autistic kids showing up on the low oxalate board after eating a diet high in oxalates. For some reason, nuts are the worst high oxalate for me ... corn is a low medium oxalate food, so there's no oxalate connection just glutamate.

I tried plain steamed fresh organic corn and didn't feel well from it either.
TC ...

Forbin

Forbin,
Do you have problems with diarrhoea after the corn syrup, or with fruits in general? Just asking because peope who are fructose malabsorbers get a drop in blood sugar after eating it, and some people get those horrible symptoms you described. (In milder cases it is just tummy upset).

Oddly enough, I don't react to fruit in general. I can drink orange juice on an empty stomach without any ill effect. I did look into fructose intolerance at one point and, when I was most ill, I did have a lot of gastric pain, but that seemed to go away after I was treated by for candida (see my very first post on how that apparently helped in my case)
http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?4542-My-Story-Successful-Treatment-of-Candida

My reaction to HFCS does seem to have a lot in common with the symptoms listed in the Wikipedia article on "reactive hypoglycemia." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_hypoglycemia What I can't figure out is why this reaction should be so specific to HFCS as opposed to any other sweetener (which is why I've wondered if the "corn" aspect has anything to do with it). I should mention that I had a "normal" glucose tolerance test even though I became extremely "shaky" during the latter part of the test. By that point, after all the other "normal" tests I'd had, it just seemed par for the course.

As HFCS was added to more and more products in the 90's, I literally became an HFCS "detector." Via my reaction, I could tell when a company started putting it their foods. I learned that I had to carefully read the labels on everything, because a product that I had safely consumed for years might suddenly start using HFCS.