• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CoQ10 -- Results? Side Effects?

Have you used CoQ10? And, was it beneficial?

• Total voters

joejack102

Have you used CoQ10? What dose? What were you results? How long did you take it? What did you notice? Did you experience any side effects or adverse reactions? Thanks!

Diwi9

Administrator
I've taken it daily for almost a year, I've never noticed a positive or negative...but my doctor says to take it, so I do. To be honest, the only supplements other than Equlibrant that have had any noticeable effect for me are amino acids. Prescription medications have helped too (LDN, Desmopressin, anti-histamines).

pattismith

I took up to 400 mg/day, and it helps with energy and muscles, but I am currently lowering the dose because of loose stools and headaches (the two are known side effects, so possibly related to it's use/or maybe from another supplement or problem)

E.man

Used to take it with a few other things. Can't remember what they were but it kept me standing. Stopped when I moved and changed medic years ago.
Just started again but the list of side effects looks like a lot of symptoms I get already. Don't want to make them even worse!

pamojja

Have an unique experience with CoQ10. Years ago I always got angina-like chest pains when under physical or mental stress. Then due to a PAD (peripheral arterial disease) I started to supplement comprehensively. Thereby with time found out that daily doses above 160 mg of Ubiqunone these chest-pain never occurred. Half that dose of Ubiquinol has the same effect in my case.

On a vacation to a high-carb country I temporarily used Metformin against pre-diabetes (at home easily controlled with diet), and these pains came back. Later found out Metformin does not only reduce serum B9 + B12, but CoQ10 also. Only bad side from this long-term use at that dose is, that now - whenever I drop the dose below 160mg - the chest-pains are back. Now also without any apparent stress. Addicted :)

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I use it because theres research showing its low in cfsers plus its a good antioxidant and if mitochondrial issues are involved in cfs then it may help.

I take 200mg a day. I found higher doses 800mg and up energizing but tolerance to this dose occurs, so i stick with 200mg and jack the dose up once in awhile when i need the extra boost. Maybe some nadh and caffeine which i think mito supps can help support.

joejack102

I took up to 400 mg/day, and it helps with energy and muscles, but I am currently lowering the dose because of loose stools and headaches (the two are known side effects, so possibly related to it's use/or maybe from another supplement or problem)

I’m getting a significant chronic headache only a couple days in. Do you or does anyone know whether using the Ubiquinol form instead has this side effect too, or not?

pattismith

I’m getting a significant chronic headache only a couple days in. Do you or does anyone know whether using the Ubiquinol form instead has this side effect too, or not?
I only use Ubiquinol and get headache as a side effect. (I'm very sensitive and get very easily headache from all sort of drugs and supplement).

ChrisD

I've used CoQ10 on and off for month long periods at a time and am undoubtedly better (more sustained energy, improved recovery from PEM) when I am taking it daily and particularly in higher doses

Seven7

Seven
Brand does make a difference. So be careful with that. I do well with 800mg twice a day. But stick to 400mg twice a day due to cost. If I could afford it I would up as much as I can, I feel quite normal on it. I do better on COQ10 than ubiquinol as I have read others do also, so I think plp have to try both and see what works best for them. But if it will work for you, you will know a few minutes later (with right dosage).