• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CoQ10 deficiency related to multiple ME/CFS symptoms and early mortality

klutzo

Danny,
I am thrilled that the solution to your problem was something so simple and that your BP is so good! That is great news.

Unfortunately, I am not a "pencil-necked geek". I went from normal to obese in the first two months of my illness, while eating less than usual, and I have huge upper arms, partly from working out, but also from tons of allergy injections which caused my body to put defensive fat on my upper arms, even back when my body was normal weight. At least that is what the allergy nurse blamed it on. She wanred me she'd seen it before and that it would never go away, no matter how skinny the rest of me got. Nice (not).

klutzo

BEG

klutzo, Were you being injected in the muscle of your upper arms or the fatty area sort of underneath? Could B12 injections cause defensive fat on the upper arm? I think I may move to the muscle in the thigh.

klutzo

Hi Brown-eyed Girl,
I was being injected with 12 shots, twice weekly, into the muscle of my upper arm. I cannot say for sure about B12, but I got the definite impression from the nurse that it was the large number of injections, not what was being injected, that was the problem.

I am getting good results with B12 lozenges held under my upper lip so they take over an hour to dissolve....don't know if you have already tried that.

klutzo

klutzo

Dear BEG,
Yes, you can easily find B12 sublingual lozenges in any health food store. I think even regular drugstrores carry them these days.

They should be in the already converted Methyl B12, Adenosyl B12, or Hydroxy B12 form, NOT the cobalamin form, since some people cannot convert it well.

If held under your upper lip instead of under your tongue, you will absorb a lot more, some studies show it's as much as the shots. I believe the lozenges were originally invented to help people (like my mother) who had Pernicious Anemia, so they could avoid the constant shots.

The best place for expert info on this is in Freddds really long post on B12. I think that is in the detox, gut and methylation section.....not sure of exact title of the section. If I am wrong on which section the B12 threads are in, will someone please correct me? My memory sucks. Thanks.

There is a lot of argument as to which type of B12 is best. I find the Methyl B12 works best for me. Freddd says Methyl B12 works if the deficiency is mostly affecting your brain. The Adenosyl form helps your mitochondria, so this is good if your primary symptom is fatigue. He recommends using both for CFS.

Then there are the many methylation protocols, such as the Yasko Protocol, which uses hydroxy B12. Reading up on methylation is a good idea, to understand why CFS people are deficient in B12 to begin with, and why the cheap cobalamin form found in most vitamins can actually make it worse.

I am no expert in this, so I would suggest PMing Freddd and/or reading some of his posts on his long personal experience with this. Rich VanK is also an expert researcher in methylation and his posts are very much worth reading as well.

IMO, everyone over age 50 should be taking B12 lozenges, even if otherwise healthy, since we all lose our ability to absorb nutrition as we age, even if we don't develop a serious problem like Pernicious Anemia.

klutzo

Sophiedw

Does anybody know which cofactors coQ10 might deplete? specifically those which might cause GI issues and gastroperesis. Horrible episode at the moment brought on by coQ10. Much pain haha. Thanks