1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Did You Have Yourself a Crashy Little Christmas?
Jody Smith may have dodged a holiday bullet this year. She's hoping. Only time will tell. How did you fare?
Discuss the article on the Forums.

copper makes me feel worse, but i don't have Wilson's disease

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance' started by uni, Apr 15, 2012.

1. uni

uni

As the title says, copper supplementation makes me feel worse despite testing that shows I don't have Wilson's disease. My ceruloplasmin and serum copper levels are both on the low side repeatedly. Serum copper is within range, on the low side. Ceruloplasmin was below normal on two tests, and within range (on the low side) on one test.

My liver function is normal except a slightly elevated ALP, but this is not really significant.

My 24-urine copper was 18 mcg, which is well within the limits for a normal patient. Wilson's disease patients usually have 24 urinary copper levels of several hundred mcgs.

I had an MRI done which the neurologist said was OK. I didn't get to thoroughly read the report, but I trust he would have told me if the radiologist saw anything.

When I take copper, I feel worse - slightly nauseous, increase brain fog, more "out of it".

My blood tests show that I should benefit from copper supplementation. I'm wondering if there is something to the whole "biounavailable copper" that some alternative med practitioners talk about. I don't know what to do - I don't think I'm going to continue with copper supplementation due to my symptoms, but it doesn't really make sense.

2. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Given that copper and zing tend to be in a constant state of friendly competition, maybe you are just deficient in zinc and copper exacerbates the symptoms associated with zinc deficiency? Just a thought.

3. Gavman

Gavman Senior Member

Sydney
    I agree with nanonug. The common zinc deficiency test seems to be white spots on the nails (not the half circle at the bottom but on the nail). But i'd look at the other possible factors, i've had low zinc and dont have white spots on the nails.

4. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, uni.

If you have had a standard blood metabolic panel, you can look to see if alkaline phosphatase activity is on the low side of the mean of the reference range. If so, that is an indicator of zinc deficiency, because alkaline phosphatase is a zinc-requiring enzyme. The docs usually don't pay attention to low-normal values of this enzyme activity. They are looking for elevated values, as a sign of liver problems.

Best regards,

Rich

See more popular forum discussions.