1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Copper Identified as a Main Culprit in Alzheimer's Disease

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by jeffrez, Aug 19, 2013.

1. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    alex3619 likes this.
  2. Forbin

Forbin Forbin

alex3619 likes this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The copper is good is theoretical ex vivo (in vitro) research I think, I have yet to read the actual paper. The copper is bad is in vivo research, so is superior, except that it is in mice, and may not translate to humans.

What is of interest is that copper can damage the blood brain barrier .. which is of concern in ME.

SickOfSickness and jeffrez like this.
  4. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY

Exactly, Alex. My thinking for a while has been that the BBB is already to some degree compromised in some people with ME/CFS, and almost certainly those of us with chemical sensitivities. The concern is that we might be even more susceptible to neurological insults like the ones apparently found in this study from copper.

SickOfSickness likes this.
  5. wdb

wdb Admin

London
    It doesn't look like this is confirmed yet
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23755037

Crux and Valentijn like this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Thanks for the extra info. I'm somewhat deficient in copper, plus copper is used to create something I'm low in (norepinephrine), so I started supplementing it at a normal dose last week.

I'll let everyone know if I end up with Alzheimer's - assuming I can even tell the difference from brain fog :D

SOC and Crux like this.

See more popular forum discussions.