• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Copper deficiency....?

Sporty

Hi there

I had my copper results back this morning and my levels are 11.6 with the range being 11-20. They also gave me the results of Caeruloplasmin which was 0.19. Range 0.20-0.60.

Does any body know if these results would be causing my symptoms? Or adding to them at least.

PeterPositive

Hi,
your values are borderline deficient, it's highly unlikely that you will get any symptoms. A little bit of copper supplementation should fix the problem. Even a diet change could be a good way to fix this. If you're seeing a doctor you can ask him or you could talk with a nutritionist/naturopath.

cheers

Sporty

Hi,
your values are borderline deficient, it's highly unlikely that you will get any symptoms. A little bit of copper supplementation should fix the problem. Even a diet change could be a good way to fix this. If you're seeing a doctor you can ask him or you could talk with a nutritionist/naturopath.

cheers

Oh ok, thanks. I thought it being low it might be a cause of some symptoms at least. I have been supplementing with copper for quite a while now so.....

PeterPositive

How much copper daily and for how long?
Do you also take Zinc or medications that could possibly inhibit copper?

PeterPositive

It would be good to know the exact dosages. Zinc and copper should be balanced otherwise one could imbalance the other.

To remedy a mild deficiency you may need 2-3mg of copper a day and probably lower the zinc to around 10-15mg max.

Maybe other people who are more expert than me will chime in, but the general rule is that the zinc/copper ratio should be 10:1

Other than that there might be other reasons for your mild deficiency such as intestinal absorption issues.

Sporty

It would be good to know the exact dosages. Zinc and copper should be balanced otherwise one could imbalance the other.

To remedy a mild deficiency you may need 2-3mg of copper a day and probably lower the zinc to around 10-15mg max.

Maybe other people who are more expert than me will chime in, but the general rule is that the zinc/copper ratio should be 10:1

Other than that there might be other reasons for your mild deficiency such as intestinal absorption issues.

Well the mineral mix I take has copper and zinc in it. I've been taking it for years! So unless I stop taking my MM I'll be taking copper and zinc at the same time. I've just had a toxic metals hair test so perhaps that will come back with more results re zinc etc. perhaps I'll buy some copper supplements then and try adding a little. I just want to make sure I'm doing the correct thing by doing that though :0)

Martial

When they are taken at the same time they are antagonistic to each other. Perhaps the zinc is pushing it out when competing for absorption with the multi vitamin. Eating Avocados, Cashews, and other high copper foods should help. You really only need 2mg which is easy to reach with certain foods or a copper supplement.

Sporty

When they are taken at the same time they are antagonistic to each other. Perhaps the zinc is pushing it out when competing for absorption with the multi vitamin. Eating Avocados, Cashews, and other high copper foods should help. You really only need 2mg which is easy to reach with certain foods or a copper supplement.

Hi, but I do have some cashews all most daily buddy. Plus with the supplementing with a daily multi vit and the mineral mix.....it's confusing why I would be low. But I take your point: just eat some more high copper foods and see if that helps....

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Sometimes you are low in something because you lack something else needed to assimilate it. Is the hair test being done by someone (dietitian, naturopath, etc.) who could explain the results to you?

Sporty

Sometimes you are low in something because you lack something else needed to assimilate it. Is the hair test being done by someone (dietitian, naturopath, etc.) who could explain the results to you?

Well I've done the test through Purehealth so micki will have a look at the results, then I'll forward it on to my private doctor-Myhill- for when I have my phone consultation with her in late November. I'm at a loss to be honest.....all so confusing on your own.... :0/

Gondwanaland

If you take too much vitamin C, molybdenum, high sulfur foods or supplements (e.g. B1, B2, B3, B7), B6 or zinc your copper can be quickly depleted.

Martial

If you take too much vitamin C, molybdenum, high sulfur foods or supplements (e.g. B1, B2, B3, B7), B6 or zinc your copper can be quickly depleted.

Also interested in the study, important to find the exact balance for copper, too much is toxic, too little can cause anemia and if a lot longer amount of time deficient then nerve damage.

Gondwanaland

B6 promotes heme syntesis using up bioavailable copper and iron - thus requiring increased Cu (and Fe) intake.
As for B1, B2, B3 and B7 it is for their sulfur content. Sulfur, vit C, zinc and molybdenum chelate/bind to copper.

PeterPositive

B6 promotes heme syntesis using up bioavailable copper and iron - thus requiring increased Cu (and Fe) intake.
As for B1, B2, B3 and B7 it is for their sulfur content. Sulfur, vit C, zinc and molybdenum chelate/bind to copper.
Thanks, interesting.
What dosage of B1 do you think would cause problems?

I still don't think B2 or B3 contain sulfur, though. There's no "S" in the formula. Am I wrong?

I'd be more wary of methionine, for example, given it's ubiquitousness. And cysteine, of course.

cheers

Gondwanaland

What dosage of B1 do you think would cause problems?
I would love to know that answer;)

I think it is really an individual thing, I have been juggling with vitamins and minerals for several months now to find balanced dosages for myself.

High doses of B1 can have a detrimental effect on the thyroid, so I try to keep it as low as possible and at the same time try to benefit from it. Right now I am taking 15mb of vit B1.

My copper levels (RBC and hair) are in the low of the normal range inspite of my copper-rich diet. So now my multimineral has 450mcg of copper.

I still don't think B2 or B3 contain sulfur, though. There's no "S" in the formula. Am I wrong?
You are right, I don't exactly recall what I read about the interactions w/ copper, but since B2 and B3 increase potassium needs, and copper and potassium are synergists, I think it is logical if you increase potassium intake, copper should be increased accordingly.

Martial

Do you guys know anything about high dose b12 and methyl folate causing deficiencies of the other vitamins/minerals? I have not found any real studies or research on it. I am not huge on taking a bunch of vitamin supplements, usually only take the mb12/adenob12/methyl folate, and Vitamin D, I use potassium, sea salt, transdermal magnesium, and a small amount of iodine dropper a day and thats it. The rest of my vitamins and minerals I try to get from strictly diet.

Gondwanaland

Do you guys know anything about high dose b12 and methyl folate causing deficiencies of the other vitamins/minerals? I have not found any real studies or research on it. I am not huge on taking a bunch of vitamin supplements, usually only take the mb12/adenob12/methyl folate, and Vitamin D, I use potassium, sea salt, transdermal magnesium, and a small amount of iodine dropper a day and thats it. The rest of my vitamins and minerals I try to get from strictly diet.
For vitamins and minerals interactions I have been studying http://www.acu-cell.com/crcu.html and doing a lot of googling to figure out the mechanisms behind the interactions. :nerd: