• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cooperative Diagnostics PCR Test Poll For an ACTIVE Infection

What is the Result of Your Cooperative Diagnostics PCR Test?

• I have severe ME/CFS: I tested positive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have moderate to severe ME/CFS: I tested positive

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I have mild to moderate ME/CFS: I tested positive

• I have mild ME/CFS: I tested positive

• I have severe ME/CFS: I tested negative

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I have moderate to severe ME/CFS: I tested negative

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I have mild to moderate ME/CFS: I tested negative

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I have mild ME/CFS: I tested negative

• Total voters

kurt

Gerwyn, you make a good point about HERV replication and I just realized I may have addressed the wrong point above. Were you talking about the culture study? If so, consider that the amplification process used by WPI might have amplified HERVs if the proteins they used were part of the triggering mechanism for those HERVs. And how interesting that they amplified the suspected XMRV in a prostate cancer cell line, a cell line that is already known to express the target antigens! That increases the chance of a HERV activation in my opinion. However it still is a stretch of an explanation for a false positive, I would agree with that. But go back to my comments about researcher bias, if a researcher is trying to build a case for something, they hunt and hunt until they find a reaction, and in that process sometimes they simply discover a new false positive mechanism.