1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cookbook for ME/CFS patients?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by blazes, May 27, 2010.

1. blazes

blazes

Port Aransas, Tx, USA
    As we all know there are all kinds of specialty cookbooks out there such as for diabetes, heart patients and the like.

What I'm wondering is....does anybody know of a cookbook designed specifically for ME/CFS patients?

Like a some of the other people on here that I've seen, I can't eat wheat, dairy or chocolate -- that leaves out a lot of foods. Not to mention the fact that I live in an area where we don't have any "specialty food" stores, just your regular run of the mill grocery store.

I need some ideas on some different recipes so I thought I'd ask if anybody knew of a cookbook out there.

2. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    There's one called The Fibromyalgia Cookbook, by Shelley Ann Smith. The recipes are simple. The premise is no red meat, avoid white flour and sugar, no green peppers, lots of soy and spelt and whole grains, low fat dairy. Okay, nothing special, unless you're new to healthy eating. It needed better editing; some of the recipes have brain-fog type errors.

I think the problem with a ME/CFS cookbook is that different patients have different food intolerances, so it would be hard to make a one-size-fits-all cookbook. Although maybe it could just label the recipes for gluten-free, dairy-free, or whatever.

I've sometimes thought that we should have a recipe forum for healthy recipes that are easy to prepare.

3. sensing progress

sensing progress Senior Member

Tucson, AZ
    There are none specifically for CFS/ME that I am aware of. However, a "paleolithic" diet works for me, and I know of one book that has recipes: NeanderThin (it's marketed as a weigh-loss book but really about the health benefits of eating a hunter-gatherer type diet). It includes several recipes at the end.

4. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Well, I would like to offer the first recipe.

A glass of water

Sometimes that is the safest bet, the best thing.

Beyond that, for me, what works best are fish, vegetables and fruit.

Sing

5. Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!

Southern USA
    Everyone is so different. I tried to eat no red meat for years and it was a VERY bad thing for me. Red meat has important things in it. I eat lean steak, chicken, salmon, as many veggies as possible and a lot of friut. Good grains, edename etc. Well rounded and colorful works best for me. I have to work on my immune system in every meal. One cookbook would be hard. It is pretty much common sense, not overdoing anything. Knowing your own body. Food is so important.

6. Boule de feu

Boule de feu Senior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    Shirley Plant, a Canadian author took 6 years to write her cookbook because of CFS, fibromyalgia, etc. It's called: Finally... Food I can eat! Here is an interview:
    http://www.foodnetwork.ca/multiple food allergy sufferers/2193161/story.html
    The best cookbook ever. Delicious!

7. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
    Ice Cream Maker --ice rice milk. or almond milk ?

Has anyone used an ice cream maker? I was wondering how it would be using rice or almond milk, has anyone tried it? If its good it would be so much cheaper then the frozen rice dream. There is a Hamilton Beach one advertised for $35. It says it makes ice cream in 6 minutes and if the bowls are kept in the freezer maybe its easy, with not much standing around?

glen

8. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
    Beer Bread (bakers yeast free) 350 deg oven for 1 hr 10 min

12 oz can beer
    2 tblsp sugar
    3 cup Brodies self rising flour(has no yeast)

Thats it, thiose 3 ingredients and whatever you want extra
    I havent tried it yet but supposed to be good

9. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    I've made ice cream with coconut milk. It was delicious. I'm not sure if rice milk or almond milk would have enough fat in it?

I think a recipe section on here would be great. I would have several to contribute.

See more popular forum discussions.