A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Controlling blood sugar the most important aspect of 'adrenal fatigue'?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Dysfunction' started by drob31, Jun 8, 2017.

1. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

I was reading a bit about how dysglycemia can cause hypothyroidism, and it occurred to me that by simply having high/low or a combination of high and low blood sugar can cause symptoms of hypothyroidism.

https://chriskresser.com/thyroid-blood-sugar-metabolic-syndrome/

So what this means is that the affects of insulin resistance can cause a myriad of issues that can lead to hypothyroid symptoms, via different pathways.

I personally know insulin resistance is an issue for myself, but there is one final pathway:

Excess cortisol causes insulin resistance, and ironically while progesterone can normalize insulin sensitivity, your body may be using up the progesterone and converting it to cortisol in an attempt to free up glucose because your cells are sending the signal they need fuel, but when cortisol and insulin reach the cell, it may resist these hormones and not receive the glucose.

So this seems to be a negative feedback loop, and part of correcting it may be sensitizing the cells to insulin through other means such as ALA, or metformin, which increase AMPK.

See more popular forum discussions.