1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Contrasting CFS versus ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Ember, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Fatigue: Biomedicine, Health & Behavior

Contrasting chronic fatigue syndrome versus myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome

DOI: 10.1080/21641846.2013.774556

Leonard A. Jason, Abigail Brown, Meredyth Evans, Madison Sunnquist & Julia L. Newton

Received: 23 Nov 2012
    Accepted: 05 Feb 2013
    Version of record first published: 20 Mar 2013

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2013.774556

xchocoholic, Sasha and Valentijn like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Good to see a UK researcher (Prof Newton, who gets MERUK funding) involved in this.

3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    There will always be a debate and no definitive answers until biomarkers at least are found. Otherwise i just find these types of threads put us against one another and also some type of competition over someone saying they are sicker then another. But I do think these types of threads show how important it is to do more research to find good biomarkers and diagnosis. Questionares and criteria's are never very accurate in my opinion unfortunately.

Hugocfs likes this.
  4. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Given the importance of validating case definitions, studying the ICC would have been useful as well. The CCC is a decade old now, and Fukuda is almost twice its age. The ICC further develops the CCC strategy:
    Case definitions drive all the research, including the search for biomarkers.

5. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Rich would have said, have them take the HDRI methylation panel and see how well their methylation cycle is functioning (that would be the biomarker). Everything else is just sort of....political.

6. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    I'm at the point where I think they need to abolish the terms CFS and ME/CFS completely and start looking for root causes of each of our symptoms. Then use these diagnosises or test results to determine what we have in common. Knowing this might help us determine how to remedy our "CFS".

Getting Lymies on the right treatment would be the first priority.

I have a long list of diagnosises now that I didn't have when I was just under the CFS umbrella term used by traditional doctors. Things like celiac, Hashimoto's, hyperinsulinemia, digestive enzyme deficiency, POTS, etc etc .. These are just the tests my integrative doctor ran that I understand. I don't know everything she's learned about my body. I'd love to understand what these doctors know about their CFS patients.

tc ... x

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The ICC was looked at in this paper: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...teria-vs-the-fukuda-et-al-cfs-criteria.24865/

8. Ember

Ember Senior Member

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I've read this. I found it a pity that as well as looking at CFS vs ME/CFS within each of the three samples, they didn't also combine the three samples to get averages and then compare. Somebody could probably do it to an extent, although might be hard/impossible to work out SDs.

10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Of the 392 with ME/CFS (Carruthers et al., 2003) in the study, only one didn't satisfy the Fukuda et al. criteria.

11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

SF-36 and symptom results summary:

See more popular forum discussions.