• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Context for XMRV

Andrew

Cort wrote a wonderful article about the Reno Nevada conference March 12-16, 2009. Considering the date, I assume WPI already knew about XMRV but were holding off talking about it. So what they gave were the things they found in addition to XMRV. I think it gives a good idea of what's happening in the context of XMRV.

Kati

Patient in training
Thank you Andrew, it makes me want to give out another contribution to WPI because they're doing such a good job!!!:)

After all it's Thanksgiving!

starryeyes

Thank you Andrew! This is amazing. Cort, why have you been keeping this under your hat? Well, you probably thought we all knew about it and seriously I'm sure I read it before but I see it with new eyes now.

Some of the comments that jumped out at me:

"You just keep showing these guys compelling data. We have a piece of data that would just knock your socks off but I’m not showing it. “ Dr. Judy Mikovits
“The average chronic fatigue syndrome patient on the day they were tested had between 30-50 viruses; the average control had 3 or 4” Dr. Daniel Peterson, 2008 Swedish Conference

Okay-- I keep saying that I feel like I catch one new flu on top of another.

Not only that but they found that these patients had a distinctive viral signature; in fact it’s distinctive enough that the WPI believes it’s a diagnostic for them i.e. it’s a biomarker for this group. It’s essentially a series of tests that can (and is) being put on a chip that physicians can easily run to determine if the fatigued patient before them fits this profile. What is ‘it’ identifying? It’s identifying the viral subset in ME/CFS. If the WPI is successful at doing this they’ll cut a significant group of patients free from the chronic fatigue syndrome label.

Yahoo! And it won't be soon enough.. I tell ya.
“The most common immunological dysfunction found in these around the world is low natural killer cell function….and that’s been true of every study that’s been done around the world….I think it’s a real key to what’s happening in these patients’ Dr. Daniel Peterson, 2008 Swedish Conference
“We did a little study of physicians in Reno and found that only three percent knew what an NK cell or a dendritic cell was” Dr. Dan Peterson, 2008 Swedish Conference
No wonder the bad doctors keep saying, "It's all in your head! It's all in your head!"
And the ignorant doctors also tell us, "Don't go reading about your illness on the Web!"

If physicians are going to get it about this group of patients they’re going to need to get some basic science education.
The question is what does your pathology report show? Do you have an NK cell defect? Do you have an epigenetic profile that suggests that heavy metals are your problem because you’ve silenced your genes through hyper-methylation?
Hey, there's Rich's methylation and the epigenetic profile people here are discussing on another thread.

“I have a patient who had mesial-temporal sclerosis….he was in a nursing home because he couldn’t care for himself, he couldn’t write his name, he couldn’t talk. His spinal fluid was positive for HHV-6A. I treated him for a year with Vistide and now he’s working as a carpenter.“
♪♫"I want a new drug. One that won't make me sick. One that won't make me talk too much or make me feel thick, thick, thick."♫♪♫ ~ Huey Lewis

In a recent interview Annette Whittemore indicated that the WPI fully expects that their intense examinations of patients will uncover other available drugs that no one had dreamed would be effective in ME/CFS. The WPI feels it has a good grasp on the immune abnormalities effecting these and has started dipping it’s toe’s in the drug manufacturing arena to find appropriate drugs.
Dr. Mikovit’s noted, however, that these intense examinations have already provided some real surprises. They’ve uncovered, for instance, that some patients who do not have cancer nevertheless display immune results that look very much like cancer patients. For them immune regulating anti-cancer drugs are appropriate treatments - something no one would have guessed two years ago.
As was noted earlier this wasn’t just any set of ME/CFS patients. This was the Incline Village cohort; these fluey, lymph node enlarged, viral patients with these odd, and possibly quite dangerous, T-clonal cell rearrangements –which means, of course, that these results will not apply to other types of patients.

That's ME!

usedtobeperkytina

yes

The collaboration with research in other diseases gives us a door into funding, technology and ultimately answers.

If we can't do it on our own, let's use someone else's resources to do it.

Tina

Martlet

That made me sit up

Dr. Mikovits noted, however, that these intense examinations have already provided some real surprises. Theyve uncovered, for instance, that some patients who do not have cancer nevertheless display immune results that look very much like cancer patients. For them immune regulating anti-cancer drugs are appropriate treatments - something no one would have guessed two years ago.

I have not had the battery of tests that some in this forum had. Most of my initial tests were for the purpose of exclusion, but that quote had me sitting up, taking notice.

When I had a psychiatric evaluation - again for exclusionary purposes - the doctor looked through my bloods and said, "Now this is interesting. This one here suggests you have cancer...." That's 17 years ago.

C

cold_taste_of_tears

When I had a psychiatric evaluation - again for exclusionary purposes - the doctor looked through my bloods and said, "Now this is interesting. This one here suggests you have cancer...." That's 17 years ago.

Hi, can you remember if that was Tumour Necrosis Factor? (TNF?) or TNF-a?

It could be as that's often raised in ME CFIDS and can be used as an assay in cancer evaluation.

Martlet

I still have my medical records from that time as I was seen on a military installation and they let me take my files with me when we left. So my question is... what would I look it up under to know if it's TNF or TNF-a?