1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

contagious cancer

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Deatheye, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Deatheye

Deatheye Senior Member

There are some really ulgy pictures in there. Just warning you in case you have problems with ugly visible cancers and pet penises.

http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_murchison.html

Never heared of a cancer beeing able to infect someone else...
    Are you allowed to contribute blood if you have or had cancer at some point? Do cancerous cells get filtered out?
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Deatheye, cancer is considered non-transmissible due to everyone having different immune markers, the cancer cells should be destroyed by the immune system. Should be. However if two people have similar immune markers then the cancer cells might not be seen as foreign, especially if the recipient has a defective immune system.

Many Australians have known of infectious cancer for years though. The Tasmanian devil facial tumour disease is transmitted by touch. The Tasmanian devils are dying out. It is thought this is in part due to them all having too similar immune systems, but I have not researched this.

Usually you are not permitted to donate blood if you are unwell. Several years after recovery I think this is lifted, but I have never gone looking for this information. If you have undiagnosed cancer though, and few symptoms, you can give blood. If the cancer is in metastasis there could be circulating cancer cells. Its always a risk, but not necessarily a high risk. Dying from blood loss due to a car accident is much more immediate and certain than a low risk of blood-born cancer transfusion.

Bye
    Alex
  3. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    Osler's Web reports an incidence of a woman with a persistent "cold" visiting relatives in three or more parts of the U.S., and each group of relatives she visited was subsequently hit by cancer.
  4. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    Would HPV (human papillomavirus) be considered "contagious cancer?" It is my understanding that once a person gets a the virus, it may mutate the cells of the cervix and eventually some will get cancer. That's why I got my daughter vaccinated anyway. So, if one virus could mutate cells and cause cancer, another could too. Andrew that sounds like an airborne cancer virus. Can you imagine if something like that spread?

Do you think they do this today--inject people with viruses or cancer without telling them? It is interesting that the cancer spread only in prisoners who had weakened immune system.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Mya, that is something else -its a contagious virus that can induce cancer. There are lots of those. Bye, Alex

See more popular forum discussions.