Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CONSORT Statement for Randomized Trials of Nonpharmacologic Treatments: A 2017 Update etc.

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

These are the guidelines about how you should report randomised controlled trials.

Most of us here won't be reporting on our own trials but it can be interesting to read how trials should be reported and hence how trials shouldn't be reported.

Free full text: http://annals.org/aim/article/26332...ogic-treatments-2017-update-consort-extension

barbc56, Effi, Valentijn and 9 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Adherence has not been discussed in some ME/CFS trials. I think it may have improved in recent years, though it is often simply how many appointments a participant attended. Sometimes therapists are asked to rate the adherence of participants to the intervention. But detailed examination and reporting of exercise logs for example doesn't usually if ever get mentioned.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

A lack of blinding in a lot of ME/CFS trials rarely gets mentioned. Also blinded assessors are rarely used as I recall.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I'm not sure I was previously aware of this TIDieR checklist.

Valentijn, Esther12 and barbc56 like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I would also add that just because a paper adheres well to the CONSORT guidelines, doesn't mean that the results of the trial itself are necessarily very strong. For example an nonblinded trial based solely on subjective outcome measures could adhere well to CONSORT guidelines.

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I'm not sure how much this point relates to CONSORT but it is interesting to hear talk of "patient preferences". This is something that tends to be neglected in systems offering CBT and GET for ME/CFS. Discussing "patient preferences" might be a way to challenge the offering of CBT and GET and basically nothing else.

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Nothing particularly amazingly new here but I find it interesting to hear examples of how blinding is dealt with

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I find it interesting to see these issues discussed.

Esther12 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.