The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Considering Medic Alert Bracelet... what would I put on it though?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by chilove, Feb 24, 2012.

1. chilove

chilove

Hey all,

I've been in the ER twice in the last few weeks with potassium drops (before I discovered this board..Thanks so much Fredd!!!! You're literally a life saver!!!) and I'm also on cortisol supplementation and still occassionaly have cortisol crashes which can also be very dangerous so I'm seriously considering ordering a medic alert bracelet to wear while I'm having these issues..

I'm wondering how to express that in 8 words or less on a small metal tab? :)

I was thinking of something along the lines of:

"Check for Hypokalemia & Check Cortisol.. On HydroCort" or something similar...

Any other ideas greatly appreciated or maybe tell me that I"m being too paranoid.. LOL..

Thanks!

2. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I wear a medic alert bracelet. Incidentally there are some really attractive ones here: http://www.laurenshope.com/winter-catalog-2011

Since "the things that are wrong with me" vary so much, I decided to say something like "Chronic Illness--see wallet card." I have a red medic alert wallet pouch that has room for a list of all my meds, a description of my illness (printed from the internet), my doctor's card and pager, etc.

These medic alert pouches are given out by most counties in the US. They come with a sticker for the door to alert paramedics, a magnetic pouch for the refrigerator, and a wallet pouch. Paramedics are trained to look for these things.

Here is the "blurb" from one county:

File of LifeA Free Program from Schuyler County

Every second counts during an emergency. Schuyler County sponsors File of Life-- a free program for Seniors over 60 or anyone with medical conditions or disabilities--even children.

If you are a Schuyler County resident, you can receive a free magnetic File of Life packet to stick to your refrigerator. The packet holds your personal medical information, which can be easily accessed by first respondersEMTs, fire fighters, police-- in the event of an emergency. This saves timeand possibly a life.

For more information about File of Life, contact Emergency Management of Schuyler County at 535-8200. We would be glad to send you the necessary form and the packet. If no one is in, please leave a mess
    age.

It does give me confidence when I am out on my own.

Best,
    Sushi

3. chilove

chilove

That's awesome! Thanks so much !

4. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    These days it can be a chip with readout and full info on the web.

5. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Can you tell us abput that? The 2 ER prior?

6. chilove

chilove

Hi Fredd,

Yes, on two occasions I started feeling like I couldn't breathe and had severe chest pain and muscle weakness all over.. I started to feel really faint so my partner took me to the ER both times... it was low potassium both times...

7. Rosebud Dairy

Rosebud Dairy Senior Member

I used to be on cortisol, but haven't been on it in about two months..........

I remember reading somewhere that hydrocortisone treatment can lower potassium.........wish I'd known that while on it!!!

Anyway - something to keep in mind with cortisol/potassium dosing - they may be related.

8. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi Clilove,

What supplements were you taking at those times?

9. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    You may also want to look into a legal document letting someone have healthcare power of attorney, or making a living will. And making sure all the doctors and hospitals know your emergency contact's current cell phone number.

10. greenshots

greenshots Senior Member

California
    Well, as an Ex ICU nurse, I'd say:

HX hypokalemic & cortisol crisis

That says it all (hx means history in medical jargon)

Angela

PS, not suif this applies to you at all but if you have a family history of things like this you may look into:
    Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis

We had a woman with this my last year in the ICU and it always fascinated me.

QUOTE=chilove;243158]Hey all,

I've been in the ER twice in the last few weeks with potassium drops (before I discovered this board..Thanks so much Fredd!!!! You're literally a life saver!!!) and I'm also on cortisol supplementation and still occassionaly have cortisol crashes which can also be very dangerous so I'm seriously considering ordering a medic alert bracelet to wear while I'm having these issues..

Any other ideas greatly appreciated or maybe tell me that I"m being too paranoid.. LOL..

Thanks![/QUOTE]

11. greenshots

greenshots Senior Member

California
    Bracelet

Angela

PS, not sure this applies to you at all but if you have a family history of things like this you may look into:

Thanks![/QUOTE]

12. greenshots

greenshots Senior Member

California

Angela

PS, not suif this applies to you at all but if you have a family history of things like this you may look into:

Thanks![/QUOTE]

13. chilove

chilove

Thats easy! Thanks so much!

See more popular forum discussions.