Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Confusion over SNP (sole minus & blank) results

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by sickntired771, Nov 23, 2014.

1. sickntired771

sickntired771

Can anyone explain why a few of my SNP's come out with a single minus sign as opposed to the standard -/-, -/+ or +/+? Is a single minus something to be aware of?

Also, do you guys ignore the -/- because it means nothing is wrong or can that also be a good sign and those should be investigated as well?

Finally, what about large chunks of blanks for SNP's its like big pieces of missing data. What's that about?

2. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    If a snp is on the x chromosome a female will have two copies and a male only one, that's usually where you see the single plus or minus where others have two.

+/+ or -/- is usually not enough info on its own because unfortunately people use those symbols to mean different things.

Blank snps if you've done recent testing with 23andme would be because they used to test around 960 000 snps and now only test around 600 000

sickntired771 and Valentijn like this.
  3. sickntired771

sickntired771

Thank you. Do you know why they dont test as many now? Is there something more comprehensive I should use besides 23&me?

4. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

They used to use an Illumina chip, but now use their own custom chip. The new one is faster, and probably cheaper as well.

sickntired771 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.