1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Confused on Yasko BCAA recomendation

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Bdeep86, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Bdeep86

Bdeep86

Hey All,

I am a bit confused on Dr. Yasko's suggestion that people supplement with BCAA's to balance GABA and Glutamate. It seems that this a precursor for glutamate first. So if most people have issues with glutamate then why would you want to increase that more? Thanks for any feedback.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    If she doesn't have a good explanation for it, I'd just dismiss it as another Yasko tactic for getting people to buy more of her products. Many of her claims are disputed by the actual published research about the SNPs she tests for, yet she has plenty of expensive things to sell to "treat" them.
    jeffrez likes this.
  3. MTHFREase

MTHFREase

My understanding is that BCAAs are nitrogen donors for glutamate but they also donate Nitrogen to GABA. It is currently hypothesized that they help make GABA in the astrocytes through the BCAT isozymes. I'm not a biochemist, so don't know how to explain that, but it seems it makes GABA.

But this article, implies that BCAAs would restore the balance of neural responses {between GABA an glutamate} in the hippocampus often found in TBI.

See more popular forum discussions.