The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Confused about Probiotics and Tregs.

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Ema, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I am reading this article, Influence of Dietary Components on Regulatory T Cells, and I keep having questions. Hopefully someone can help!

So Tregs modulate the immune response and can prevent an autoimmune or inflammatory response, in a nutshell.

But the article says that Tregs are stimulated by TGF-b1. I thought that many with MECFS, and certainly many with mold illness, have *high* TGF-b1 already. I know mine is off the charts. So, shouldn't I already have plenty of Tregs? Would increasing Tregs further by using a probiotic even be a good idea?

Also, from the article:

Don't most with MECFS also have high NF-kB? Wouldn't blocking degredation of it be a *bad* thing? Is this another strain to avoid?

The next sentence suggests that other strains, such as B infantis, do reduce NF-kB activation and increase Tregs.

So is there anything to be taken from this article at this point regarding the immune system and probiotics? I realize most of it is still speculative but since there are so many types of probiotics available and many of us take them, it seems wise to try to pick the best one for our own individual situation.

The article also discusses Vitamins A and D, gluten and fatty acids.

sillysocks84 likes this.
  2. sillysocks84

sillysocks84 Senior Member

Is there a way to test if you have a small or large amount of tregs? There is also an article about tregs helping in asthma and allergies by being multiplied so they can quiet mast cells.

I would think knowing an estimate of tregs in the body would better provide a bigger picture.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...ould-lead-to-new-treatment-for-allergies.aspx

I hope a more sciency mind than mine can answer your question!

3. sillysocks84

Is it possible we don't have an appropriate number of tregs, so tgfb1 is constantly trying to stimulate something that isn't there or not in appropriate amount? Don't even know if that's possible.

4. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    That's a thought! I don't know if that is possible either...

sillysocks84 likes this.
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I don't know the answer to this either...but I hope someone else does!

sillysocks84 likes this.
  6. sillysocks84

Who should we tag? Lol

See more popular forum discussions.