A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

COMT++ PS and high Cortisol

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Peyt, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Hi everyone!
    I have COMT++
    I have noticed throughout the years that I do very poorly with any stimulating type supplements or even medication.
    The list of stimulating products goes on and on, but some that I can name off the top of my head are:
    Siberian Ginsing, Roodiola, B1, Ritalin, Concerta, Adderall, and.... just to name a few
    It was not until I learned about genetics that I realized I have COMT++ which is believed to cause excess dopamine and norepenephrine, and so it now totally makes sense why I could not handle any of these supplements or drugs.... btw, they all give me a bad headache and insomnia , and make me agitated and angry easy... All of them...

Anyways, a few months ago I tested my cortisol levels and noticed its very high... so a supplement that is often recommended for this problem is PS (Phosphatidylserine) but unfortunately when I took it, it gave me the exact same side effects as described above.
    I have a feeling that PS is also a stimulant.

My question is this: Is there any other supplement I can take to negate these side effects?
    Perhaps the methylation cycle gets stuck somewhere and I need to take something to help that.
    I have considered taking PS with PC together (btw, I can handle PC just fine although it makes me gain weight)
    Please let me know your thoughts ,
    Thanks so much

2. sregan

sregan Senior Member

Southeast
    You can try L-Glutamine to lower cortisol. There are actually a lot of supplements that can help with high cortisol.

Peyt likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.