• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

COMT++ PS and high Cortisol

Peyt

Hi everyone!
I have COMT++
I have noticed throughout the years that I do very poorly with any stimulating type supplements or even medication.
The list of stimulating products goes on and on, but some that I can name off the top of my head are:
Siberian Ginsing, Roodiola, B1, Ritalin, Concerta, Adderall, and.... just to name a few
It was not until I learned about genetics that I realized I have COMT++ which is believed to cause excess dopamine and norepenephrine, and so it now totally makes sense why I could not handle any of these supplements or drugs.... btw, they all give me a bad headache and insomnia , and make me agitated and angry easy... All of them...

Anyways, a few months ago I tested my cortisol levels and noticed its very high... so a supplement that is often recommended for this problem is PS (Phosphatidylserine) but unfortunately when I took it, it gave me the exact same side effects as described above.
I have a feeling that PS is also a stimulant.

My question is this: Is there any other supplement I can take to negate these side effects?
Perhaps the methylation cycle gets stuck somewhere and I need to take something to help that.
I have considered taking PS with PC together (btw, I can handle PC just fine although it makes me gain weight)
Please let me know your thoughts ,
Thanks so much

sregan

You can try L-Glutamine to lower cortisol. There are actually a lot of supplements that can help with high cortisol.