• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

wonderoushope

Thanks @Hip I will try ground flaxseed.

I don't know if it is just coincidence but I just started taking NAC two days ago and I am so wiped out, tired and my moods have gone back to unmotivated. Could it be my body adjusting? I have to keep an eye out on symptoms as I started getting bloating, abdominal cramps and wind which could mean I am sensitive to it. It could be something else, so I will keep an eye out on it.

Hip

I don't know if it is just coincidence but I just started taking NAC two days ago and I am so wiped out, tired and my moods have gone back to unmotivated.

When I first started NAG, at higher doses of around 3 x 700 mg daily it cause some increased depression symptoms. But I was OK when I only took 700 mg daily. Months later I found I could take 3 x 700 mg without triggering depression. So for me there was an adaption period of a few months. These days I only usually take 700 mg daily, unless anxiety symptoms flare up.

wonderoushope

When I first started NAG, at higher doses of around 3 x 700 mg daily it cause some increased depression symptoms. But I was OK when I only took 700 mg daily. Months later I found I could take 3 x 700 mg without triggering depression. So for me there was an adaption period of a few months. These days I only usually take 700 mg daily, unless anxiety symptoms flare up.
Thanks I might just start off with 1 x 700 mg daily, as I was taking 2 x 700 mg. I also just started feeling anxious, which again could be coincidence or because I feel a bit run down lethargic. I will keep an eye on symptoms.

Just realised ground flaxseed over 2 teaspoons is a high FODMAP, which is about 30 grams, but I think I even react to 30 grams :( I wonder if flaxseed oil is high FODMAP too, as it doesn't seem to say in the FODMAP app.

The oil should be safe, at least that's my experience. I don't get fermentation in the gut/intestines with Flaxseed oil. I've been taking 1000mg of flaxseed oil for years without side effects. Ground flaxseed is a torture, however.

place

Be Strong!
I was getting online to look for this thread because my anxiety has been through the roof. Second guessing every decision I made. Today was the final straw when after I told a line ditcher to get to the back of the line, I had massive anxiety about it and then it replayed over and over in my mind. I could not stop thinking about it. Found thread, took 750 of NAG. I like I’m back to me again

Thanks for the thread!!!!!!

overtheedge

@Hip I've been considering taking some NAG lately and saw you posting about using it a bit so I thought this link I came across might be of interest to you, it's on the possibility of glucosamine causing increased pressure in the eyes which puts those who are at risk of glaucoma at higher risk. Don't know if it's relevant to you or if the NAG form of glucosamine has this potential side effect but I figured you might like to see it https://www.webmd.com/arthritis/new...e-supplements-tied-to-risk-of-eye-condition#1

Hip

Thanks @overtheedge, I've now added a small note to the first post of this thread stating that NAG may raise intraocular pressure.

Thinktank

The combination NAG+flaxseed oil really works for me to lessen an anxiety / panic attack.
Today was a particularily bad day with an increased heart rate, flushing, racing thoughts, constant worry and diarrhea, i'm having a lot of different kinds of stress the last few weeks that makes me almost unable to cope.
Today i almost broke down again but then i remember the flaxseed oil and NAG, took a dose and 2 hours later i'm feeling really mellow.
Unfortunately i can't take NAG too often because it makes me feel a bit flu-ish the day after. This combination also increases my brain fog somehow. WIsh i knew how to combat the side effects.....

Hip

Unfortunately i can't take NAG too often because it makes me feel a bit flu-ish the day after.

NAG inhibits both the Th17 and Th1 immune modes. The reduction in Th17 is I think desirable, as this may be the basis of NAG's anti-anxiety effects, since anxiety is linked to high Th17 and IL-17. Refs: 1 2

But in the context of ME/CFS, inhibition of the Th1 antiviral immune response is undesirable, and this might be the basis of the flu-like viral reactivation symptoms you experience the following day.

So to counter the NAG Th1 reduction, you could take with NAG some supplements that boost Th1 such as oxymatrine.

Thinktank

Perhaps, it might be worth a shot. Oxymatrine is already on my list of things to try.

NAG also increases my asthma symptoms, i can counter that with a salbutamol (beta agonist) inhaler but then stimulating the beta receptors might increase my anxiety.... it sometimes does. I already feel likei 'm running on adrenaline and salbutamol just worsens that feeling.

The flaxseed oil is causing a mild allergic reaction, reddening of eyes and some sneezing. I think the brain fog is also related to that.

Hip

You could also investigate some of the other 29 anti-anxiety supplements on my list, especially the more potent ones in the first block at the top of the list. I used those supplements daily for years, before I discovered NAG, and they are quite effective, especially if you take several together, to produce an additive anti-anxiety effect.

The citrulline malate I used for many years with good effect.

Thinktank

I will do that.
The amisulpride is very interesting.

It's now T+3.5 and the anti-anxiety effects of NAG+flaxseed oil start to wear off. I need to take something to be able to sleep tonight. Ceterizine or ketotifen usually do the trick but it lso worsens my asthma and sicca syndrome.
In times of need I find a low dose propranolol in combination with baclofen (gaba-B agonist) to be effective and relaxing, but not so addictive as a benzo.

jason30

I will do that.
The amisulpride is very interesting.

It's now T+3.5 and the anti-anxiety effects of NAG+flaxseed oil start to wear off. I need to take something to be able to sleep tonight. Ceterizine or ketotifen usually do the trick but it lso worsens my asthma and sicca syndrome.
In times of need I find a low dose propranolol in combination with baclofen (gaba-B agonist) to be effective and relaxing, but not so addictive as a benzo.

Do you have problems falling asleep?

L-theanine helps me a lot with anxiety.

Thinktank

Do you have problems falling asleep?

L-theanine helps me a lot with anxiety.

Nope, not really, only when i'm really stressed.
Usually i fall asleep fine. At night i always listen / watch an ASMR video on youtube that helps me fall asleep.

My sleep problem is more about waking up around 4.00 - 4.30 when stressed.

L-theanine has a paradoxical reaction on me, it calms me down but then after a short while it increases anxiety.

Last edited:
Out of desperation, I tried the NAG, turmeric & flax seed oil combo this summer. It’s been about 8 weeks now and it is really working well for me.

I developed terrible anxiety and panic attacks (without prior history) over a period of 6 months when my primary doctor was convinced I had uncontrolled depression. When she added a third Serotonin increasing med, I totally freaked out and had to take leave from work. I decided to stop all the meds and I got much better. The anxiety & panic slowly decreased (I used a benzo for a while) over a few months. However, the anxiety still erupted sometimes, triggering all my other CFS symptoms and causing me to crash. Not having access to more benzo, I started trying different options until I found this original post. I’m not typically a believer that supplements are very useful, but I was really desperate. And it worked. The regimen also improved my gut symptoms and I can now eat without fear of spending the rest of the day in bed. My headaches and muscle pain have also improved. I am very thankful for this posting and all the information it included.

Hip

I’m not typically a believer that supplements are very useful, but I was really desperate. And it worked.

Glad to hear these supplements worked for your anxiety, @Quowe. It is quite surprising that a supplement like NAG could have such good effects. How would you say the NAG, turmeric & flaxseed oil protocol compares to the benzodiazepine you were taking, in terms of reducing anxiety levels?

Interesting that your gut symptoms were improved. This might be due to the anti-inflammatory effects of these supplements in the gut; but it is also worth noting that NAG may bind to and deactivate certain dietary lectins (lectins are natural toxins in plant foods that may have negative affects in sensitive people).

I read that glucosamine deactivates the lectins found in wheat, potatoes, rice, tomatoes, barely and rye, as these foods contain chitin-binding lectins. See here and here. So possibly your gut might benefit further by taking NAG specifically with your meals (although for anti-anxiety purposes, it may be better on an empty stomach, where NAG is absorbed into the bloodstream better).

jason30

Nope, not really, only when i'm really stressed.
Usually i fall asleep fine. At night i always listen / watch an ASMR video on youtube that helps me fall asleep.

My sleep problem is more about waking up around 4.00 - 4.30 when stressed.

L-theanine has a paradoxical reaction on me, it calms me down but then after a short while it increases anxiety.

Did you ever do a cortisol saliva test to check your cortisol in the night?

I get the most anxiety from chemicals/toxins, when I get this then niacinamide helps a lot (slows down liver phase 1). Also Triphala, a colon cleanser, which removes the toxins, helps with anxiety.

Glad to hear these supplements worked for your anxiety, @Quowe. It is quite surprising that a supplement like NAG could have such good effects. How would you say the NAG, turmeric & flaxseed oil protocol compares to the benzodiazepine you were taking, in terms of reducing anxiety levels?

Interesting that your gut symptoms were improved. This might be due to the anti-inflammatory effects of these supplements in the gut; but it is also worth noting that NAG may bind to and deactivate certain dietary lectins (lectins are natural toxins in plant foods that may have negative affects in sensitive people).

I read that glucosamine deactivates the lectins found in wheat, potatoes, rice, tomatoes, barely and rye, as these foods contain chitin-binding lectins. See here and here. So possibly your gut might benefit further by taking NAG specifically with your meals (although for anti-anxiety purposes, it may be better on an empty stomach, where NAG is absorbed into the bloodstream better).

The benzos worked well for stopping a severe anxiety attack; I took 1mg one or two days in a row to interrupt the cycle. Several of my other symptoms would be reduced for a few days after taking. I would say that the benzos made me feel better (in comparison) for a few hours - more relaxed with very low muscle pain, no headache, and reduced tinnitus. However, I would not take them daily (though I might like to because of the effects). I haven't had any uncomfortable side effects from taking the supplements. They are not addictive, presumably, so I take them every day. Therefore, they are working to prevent the anxiety (so far) rather than cope with attacks which is preferable for me. Additionally, I don't have to worry that Amazon might think me an addict when I order!

I agree that it is likely the anti-inflammatory effects of these supplements that is having an effect. I do have blood markers indicating high inflammation. There has been some research on the use of NAG with IBS, ulcerative colitis, and MS with positive results. So, the effects make some sense to me.

At this point, I realize that there are too many variables for me to know that my experience so far is not coincidental. I may be willing to take a break in a few months to further experiment, but right now I am very relieved by the reduction in my symptoms and increased level of functioning.

I've tried the NAG + flaxseed oil + turmeric for the past week and it seems to have a different effect on me. I get a boost of energy after taking the 700mg of NAG for 8+ hours until the next dose. Unfortunately at the same time there is a definite increase in anxiety and brain fog. I lose the tired behind the eyes feeling and feel awake yet a bit zombified/uncoordinated. It's also affecting my sleep which I imagine is related to the increased anxiety. I've basically felt marginally worse every day since I started. I've admittedly been through the entire thread but haven't found anyone with similar results so I'll just add mine here. I did note the comments about NAG possibly feeding lyme which I've never been tested for. I'm just not sure this is how it would present itself.

On a positive note my sinuses have never felt better :lol: