• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

hixxy

I'm betting your anxiety is being caused by TRP channels lining the nose/sinus and digestive tract being activated. TRP channels located on mast cells will also trigger mast cell degranulation. My immunologist collaborated on the NCNED TRP channel gene study earlier in the year. The TRP channels become more easily activated in the presence of inflammation, most likely because of lowered glutathione levels:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2735846/

Once glutathione is depleted, either as a consequence of disease or during extended exposures, TRPA1 may respond much more strongly.
I use a mast cell stabiliser nasal spray that doubles as a TRP channel blocker. It seems to only help if I don't overuse it, but when it works, it can instantly decrease my anxiety / over-stimulation / sensory overload. The effect doesn't last though.

Unfortunately I've not had much success with mast cell stabilisers for getting things under control so I'm still in a pretty horrible state. Likewise I don't tolerate any of the supplements in the original post :-(

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I'm betting your anxiety is being caused by TRP channels lining the nose/sinus and digestive tract being activated. TRP channels located on mast cells will also trigger mast cell degranulation. My immunologist collaborated on the NCNED TRP channel gene study earlier in the year. The TRP channels become more easily activated in the presence of inflammation, most likely because of lowered glutathione levels:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2735846/

Once glutathione is depleted, either as a consequence of disease or during extended exposures, TRPA1 may respond much more strongly.
I use a mast cell stabiliser nasal spray that doubles as a TRP channel blocker. It seems to only help if I don't overuse it, but when it works, it can instantly decrease my anxiety / over-stimulation / sensory overload. The effect doesn't last though.

Unfortunately I've not had much success with mast cell stabilisers for getting things under control so I'm still in a pretty horrible state. Likewise I don't tolerate any of the supplements in the original post :-(
The article at your link is largely on non-human animal studies. As I have said many times, evidence from non-human animal studies correlates with finding in humans approximately 50% of the time - about the same amount of correlation as you would get from tossing a coin.

Not to mention the cruelty.

Hip

I'm betting your anxiety is being caused by TRP channels lining the nose/sinus and digestive tract being activated. TRP channels located on mast cells will also trigger mast cell degranulation.

Well it's interesting that during my testing of hundreds of drugs and supplements, I found H1 receptor antihistamines such as cetirizine or loratadine had a noticeable anti-anxiety effect. That could be evidence of some mast cell involvement.

However, my general working hypothesis is that some cases of generalized anxiety disorder are caused by elevated levels of glutamate in the amygdala area of the brain, deriving from chronic brain inflammation and microglial activation.

Since glutamate acts as the volume or gain control on neurons, if there is too much glutamate in the amygdala (a major fear and anxiety center of the brain), I think the anxiety circuits in the amygdala will be on overdrive, leading to anxiety symptoms with no apparent psychological cause.

There is experimental evidence to link glutamate in the amygdala to anxiety: when glutamate antagonists are infused into the amygdala in animals, these decrease fear and anxiety. So this suggests that glutamate in the amygdala may precipitate anxiety.

hixxy

@Hip I don't think your theory excludes TRP channel involvement. I think you'll find that like with mast cells, the TRPV1 channel is the trigger that creates excessive microglial activation.

I'm very cognitively impaired lately so research is really incredibly difficult, but what do you think of these?

http://www.ajnd.us/files/AJND1204002.pdf
  • Under conditions of stress and injury glia can become reactive, demonstrating increased hypertrophy, production and secretion of cytokines and changes in gene expression. In addition to neurons, TRPV1 is also found in astrocytes and microglia, and emerging studies have implicated TRPV1 in various aspects of glial function.

• TRPV1 also mediates microglial function. The TRPV1 antagonist, WIN-55,212-2 reduces microglial activation but can also stimulate the cannabinoid 1 and 2 receptors to increase hippocampal neurogenesis.

• TRPV1 can mediate anxiety induced behavior. TRPV1 inhibition by capsazepine injections into the medial prefrontal cortex of rats increase exploration time in the elevated plus maze and the number of licks in the Vogel conflict test, indicating an anxiolytic effect with TRPV1 antagonism [72]. TRPV1-null mice exhibit less anxiety, as determined by the elevated plus maze and increased exploration of the illuminated side of the light-dark test [73]. Interestingly, TRPV1-null mice also show less fear-conditioned responses, which correlate with a decrease in long term potentiation, suggesting that TRPV1 promotes fear [73]. Conversely, intraperitoneal injections of a TRPV1 agonist, olvanil, decreased the time spent in the open arms of the elevated plus maze, further linking TRPV1 activation to induction of anxiety behavior [74].

Research into TRP channels really seems to be in it's infancy.

Hip

@Hip I don't think your theory excludes TRP channel involvement. I think you'll find that like with mast cells, the TRPV1 channel is the trigger that creates excessive microglial activation.

I agree, in fact, when I get some time and a relatively brain fog free day, I would like to examine the possible interaction between mast cell activation, and chronic microglial activation, in the context of this inflammation-derived glutamate hypothesis of anxiety disorder.

Hi Hip,

First I really want to thank you for the miracle combination (NAG, curcuma and flaxseed oil) that really helped me!!
Still, for me, this was only fighting with the consequences of some different problem, so I've decided that the root cause of my problems maybe were coming from candida infections. So I've started the following protocol:
1. First and foremost diet and 2,3 days from the week without any food.
2. Destroy the Candida biofilm - Proteolytic enzymes, Vitamin B3 and actually the supplement that made big difference - NAC(with molybdenum). I do not want to say what started to come of me after few days. It was horrible experience.
3. Start killing the candida - Again here the vit. B3 is doing miracles + NAC + high dosage of Vit. C. Grapefruit Seed Extract + Propolis Tincture. Saccharomyces boulardii
4. Now I'm trying to repopulate the gut flora with the good guys, using foods/drinks like Kefir, Kombucha. Probiotics. Colostrum.
So far the things are looking very good for me, no anxiety symptoms, no brain fogs and really good night sleeps...

Hip

First I really want to thank you for the miracle combination (NAG, curcuma and flaxseed oil) that really helped me!!

Glad it worked for you @Nik_cho.

so I've decided that the root cause of my problems maybe were coming from candida infections.

The idea that Candida overgrowth in the gut can lead to all sorts of symptoms is found all over the Internet, but there seems to be little evidence for this. There are bold statement like "Candida can cause fatigue, brain fog, depression," but reference to published studies is never provided.

However, some facets of the anti-Candida diet (like reducing sugar intake) can be helpful for gut health for other reasons: sugar increases the levels of bad bacteria in your gut, and reduces good bacteria. So reducing sugar intake is I think a good strategy for gut health.

I found great anti-anxiety benefits from prebiotics and probiotics, particularly Saccharomyces boulardii.

@Hip

Do you have any experiences or views about the Activated Charcoal supplement?

I was reading through its reviews on WebMD and saw benefits like heavy metal detox, food poisioning alleviation, cure for indigestion, flatulence & gas, and management for IBS. In effect, activated charcoal seems like a kind of rigorous "mop up" for the system.

I have some concerns: Is it safe for occasional use (say once a weekend)? Given its high absorbency rate, will it end up absorbing minerals from the blood stream, causing nutritional or electrolyte imbalances? I haven't tried it yet but this supplement does seem both intriguing and a little alarming at the same time.

Overall, I am curious about the possibility of activated charcoal for gut/intestinal health (in addition to the supplements already listed in the beginning of this thread). If indeed there is a connection then perhaps there might a larger connection to the anxiety problem as well.

Any views? Thanks.

@Hip

Do you have any experiences or views about the Activated Charcoal supplement?

I was reading through its reviews on WebMD and saw benefits like heavy metal detox, food poisioning alleviation, cure for indigestion, flatulence & gas, and management for IBS. In effect, activated charcoal seems like a kind of rigorous "mop up" for the system.

I have some concerns: Is it safe for occasional use (say once a weekend)? Given its high absorbency rate, will it end up absorbing minerals from the blood stream, causing nutritional or electrolyte imbalances? I haven't tried it yet but this supplement does seem both intriguing and a little alarming at the same time.

Overall, I am curious about the possibility of activated charcoal for gut/intestinal health (in addition to the supplements already listed in the beginning of this thread). If indeed there is a connection then perhaps there might a larger connection to the anxiety problem as well.

Any views? Thanks.
Lots of ibs sufferers reckon they get relief from stinky gas using charcoal. But this from 2014 suggests approach with caution. http://consumer.healthday.com/alter...ed-charcoal-can-cure-gut-troubles-692912.html

Hi @Indus
I have great experience with activated charcoal. I presume that the benefit for me is clearing the high levels of ammonia(can check via google how bad is to have high levels) from the body, due to candida overgrowth.
The prefer way to do it is twice a week, before bed time with combination of magnesium citrate - this is the so called charcoal/magnesium flush

TheChosenOne

There are bold statement like "Candida can cause fatigue, brain fog, depression," but reference to published studies is never provided.
As a candida sufferer, I agree with the fact that it can cause anxiety. The toxins that are released during die off are probably highly inflammatory. Although most problems with candida are sugar related.
Saccharomyces boulardii
This is actually really good. Something else that works well is resistant starch.

Hip

As a candida sufferer, I agree with the fact that it can cause anxiety.

It is not a fact that Candida can cause anxiety, it is someone's unsubstantiated idea. There are no studies I have seen linking Candida colonization to anxiety or any other mental symptom (apart from in the case of vagina thrush, were depression or anxiety may arise, but that does not necessarily imply a causal connection).

Last edited:
Hi all

I have been reading through this interesting thread and was wondering if people had success with elevating symptoms of an anxious racing and obsessive mind?

Hip

I have been reading through this interesting thread and was wondering if people had success with elevating symptoms of an anxious racing and obsessive mind?

If you are talking about racing thoughts, and OCD-like symptoms, I am not sure if anyone with those symptoms has tried the anti-anxiety protocol detailed on this thread. For OCD symptoms, high dose inositol powder, taken at a dose of 12 to 18 grams a day (two to three heaped teaspoons), has been shown to treat OCD.

Hello board, Hello Hip,

I've been reading this topic with great interest. I'm not sure if this is the best place to write my first post, hope that's ok.

I'm currently on Pristiq, Avodart for hair loss and synthroid for Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

Although I feel a bit better when on Pristiq, I still suffer from Irritability, high stress from girlfriend and sometimes work especially Mood disorders which include: emotional sensitivity, emotional lability (unstable or exaggerated emotion), irritability, straight to conclusions type of thinking, low self esteem, at times anti social)...

I just ordered some Optimized Folate (L Methylfolate), 1000 mcg, 100 Tabs by Life Extension because I read Deplin can help. And I am going to buy this week some B2, B12, Selenium, NAG, Flaxseed Oil and Turmeric after reading some of your suggestions. I'm just wondering how to go about trying all this at once or gradually, maybe do some expermentation to see which one helps, etc.

Any advice or hints would be really appreciated!

PS> I also spit out phlegm every morning for years now, more now since I quit smoking cigarettes and had a bad sore throat. By the way, Gelomyrtol really helps with this.

Thanks

Last edited:

Hip

Hi @pristiqdeplinnag

Emotional sensitivity and emotional lability can be symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS); are you an ME/CFS patient? Do you have any of the other ME/CFS symptoms like fatigue and brain fog?

For a good irritability treatment, see this thread. Also of interest is this thread.

The NAG, flaxseed oil and turmeric, which are the treatments I found effective for anxiety, can all be started at the same time. Perhaps you might want to wait until the next week to start selenium.

Phlegm every morning might be due to post-nasal drip, if it feels like it comes from the back of the throat.

Hi and thanks for replying. Yes I actually have had fatigue a long time and brain fog has started in the last year or so. A lot more when I drink alcohol more than 3 times a week so I cut that down. Also a lot of phlegm was due to quitting cigarettes 1+ month ago. A lot less phlegm now. Mostly in the morning. So I went and bought some B6 and B12 vitamins. I will try everything slowly I guess. Both are from Natural Factors and the B12 is in methyl something form. Will go read your links now, thanks.

Last edited: