• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

Dear Hip,

The NAG arrived today after a massive delay. I just opened a capsule and started taking it in dabs in case I had an allergic reaction which I did not. Before taking it, I had taken half a Xanax as today was particularly bad. As a result, I'm not sure which one is causing the relaxation. In any case, I will keep you posted periodically.

Warmest Regards,

Baret

Thanks for mentioning Deer Antler Velvet. I want to take NAG, but after reading intensely about it, realized my severe reaction to shrimp (anaphylatic shock) would prevent me from doing NAG - only slim possibility of reaction, not going to take the chance. I never heard of it, so have to see if one can buy it on amazon/i-herb. Did you feel affect? thanx

Dear StarLilly,

I did not feel much of an effect on Deer Antler and to be honest, seeing as I'm on a 1/4 dose of Lexapro and also weaning off Remeron (bad withdrawals), I stopped the Deer Antler as it has Tyrosine and other ingredients in it that clash with meds. If you are med-free however, I'd give it a week or two.

Good luck,

Baret

Hip

@starlily88
I did not really notice any anti-anxiety effects from IGF-1. IGF-1 is a human hormone which is found in deer antler.

Last edited:
Dear Hip,

Haven't really notice any noticeable difference so far on the NAG. Having said that, I am having bad withdrawals from the Remeron that I'm weaning off so I will be taking the NAG for a week or so to give it a fair shake. I also wanted to ask, since the NAG can act as a prebiotic, will me taking probiotics eat up the NAG?

Thanks,

Baret

Hip

@bretjake
The only thing that I am aware of is that if you take NAG with food, some of the NAG will attach to the lectins in the food, because NAG binds to lectins. So you will lose some of the NAG. So it is best to take NAG on an empty stomach.

Last edited:
@bretjake
The only think that I am aware of is that if you take NAG with food, some of the NAG will attach to the lectins in the food, because NAG binds to lectins. So you will lose some of the NAG. So it is best to take NAG on an empty stomach.

Dear Hip,

Good to know, I'll give it a shot on an empty stomach. Keep you posted.

Baret

Basilico

Florida
It never fails to amaze me that some supplements can help some people so much, while having the opposite effect on someone else with the same symptoms!

My husband has tried many (though not all) of the supplements mentioned (he has definite neurotransmitter issues - ADD, anxiety, sleep disturbances, etc) and they either had no effect, or gave him negative reactions.

For example, he tried Pregnenalone on two separate occasions (the second time with a much lower dose, and only taking it every other day) and both times got an extreme rage reaction - he felt like it turned him into the Hulk and he could barely keep himself from wanting to punch everyone out and being irritated as hell for no reason.

Meanwhile, I took it and I didn't feel anything (when I later had my hormones tested, they were all very low across the board, which is weird, because as a master hormone, I would assume that Pregnenalone would have helped to boost things a bit).

However, I love seeing what other people are trying/have tried that works. Thanks for this!

oceanwild

[banned as spam]
do a massage, and drop and mix the cinnamon oil with the essential oil. it is an anti-inflammatory substance, so it helps in removing stiffness of the muscles and joints. Cinnamon is also recommended for arthritis, and it is known to help in removing headaches that are caused by colds.

what is the importance of using turmeric and not curcumin?

is curcumin not the active component anyway? or is there other stuff in turmeric that Curcumin only supplements don't have?

leela

I know this is totally OT, but the way the new post listing was truncated, I read
"Completely eliminated my severe mangos"

Dear Hip,

No luck with the NAG it seems. Plus the Mirtazapine nightmare continues. I wanted to ask: why do you say that Taurine should be for short term use only?

Also, I have been taking L Tryptophan while monitoring my blood pressure for signs of a rare effect of mixxing it with psych meds called serotonin syndrome (none so far) and I have been getting some positive effects - I'm so worn out that I can't really appreciate it but the effects are said to be accumulative over time.

Hip

I wanted to ask: why do you say that Taurine should be for short term use only?

I find a bit of tolerance building up to taurine after a few days usage at 4000 mg dose levels, meaning it starts to become less effective. So I tend to keep taurine in reserve for days where you have higher anxiety levels than normal.

Thanks. I couldn't find it in there but that document has some good data regardless.

Years ago I took a whole lot of supplements to try to deal with my acne. Turmeric included.. I would mix it into water. One of the supplements I took absolved me of several lifelong cognitive/psychological issues....paranoia, social anxiety, impulsiveness... I don't recall what that supplement was..it didn't work for my acne so I stopped using it.

I feel very clear headed 1-2 hours after my first teaspoon of turmeric. I wonder if this is what did the trick for me all those years ago.

I'll provide an update as I go along dosing turmeric this week. Note that I am not using the flaxseed or NAG.