• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

starlily88

Likewise, the trigeminal nerve, which runs from your nasal and sinus cavities to the brain, is another nerve which senses inflammation in the body. When the trigeminal nerve senses inflammation in the sinuses, it will send a signal to the brain to instigate increased brain inflammation. So nasal or sinus inflammation may trigger brain inflammation, which in turn may cause anxiety symptoms.
Hip thanks for 2 PET scan medical studies. I had been diagnosed 8 yrs ago with Trigeminal Neuralgia - as had my brother. Supposedly highest rate/suicide in US. I talked to Dr. Ben Carson's Physician Ass't at Hopkins - since he does operation for this nerve. Sent me to Neurologist, treated with baclofen, but went through one year of severe pain.

Also - have had life long infected sinus infections in spring/fall with polyps on voice box. My friend was ENT at Johns Hopkins who had to "empty" my sinuses into bowel - worst feeling. By time I saw him I had huge green infections in me - had to be emptied out to avoid brain infections. He treated me for 20 years.

Last time we met, he told me with so many infections I had had, my facial pain might be due to bone growth in place he could not see on X rays years ago. I did have big bone growth pushing on my sinus cavity.
I had the big surgery, they removed the big bone growth - and my facial pain was gone within 8 months.

I still have sinus/allergies due to east coast mold and yellow pollen -but never get the "green" infection or severe facial pain anymore. I do get uncontrolled sneezing from the pollen........... :sluggish:

@ahmo thanks for input on serrapeptase. I take Now Enzymes, and Essential Enzyeme by Source Natural. Do you think Serrapeptase is superior to these? What supps could you stop? Thanks:thumbsup:

ahmo

thanks for input on serrapeptase. I take Now Enzymes, and Essential Enzyeme by Source Natural. Do you think Serrapeptase is superior to these? What supps could you stop?

I've had to search through my scribbles to recreate my supps during/after the protyolytic enzymes. Also, I was also purging Candida and SIBO at the same time, so there may be some interaction.

I no longer take glycine and GABA, and have decreased needs for fish oil, butyrate, biotin, Vit K, potassium. I've also been able to add in some foods: green banana, apple, seeds/nuts, which I'd eliminated due to inflammatory properties, mushrooms which were also inflammatory, spoonful of histamine-rich sauerkraut or yogurt daily

Here's some of the info that influenced my decision to go w/ protyolytic enzymes. There appears to be something unique w/ serrapeptase. The first link is to a product on which I modeled my selection of digestive enzymes. It's also the source I modeled my selection of anti-virals, anti-microbials, anti-fungals on.

http://www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com/biofase.html
One capsule of BioFase contains 525mgs of cellulase and hemicellulase to eat the cellulistic chitinase components of the biofilm and cell wall; invertase, glucoamylase, and amylase to eat the polysaccharide carbohydrates; and protease to eat the polypeptide protein components in the biofilm, cell wall, and nucleus. I could have stopped right there and had a yeast eating enzyme that was just like everyone else. Instead I added serratiopepidase(serrapeptase) in ample amounts to eat the fibrinogen and fibronectin part of the biofilm. Because of this, in my opinion, BioFase is the best yeast and bacterial eating enzyme product on the market.

After 10 years of research, I developed this formula because almost every yeast eating enzyme formula I have seen does not include all the enzymes needed to eat the biofilm. These biofilms are a protective shield that the yeast or bacteria build over themselves as a means of protection. Upon initial colonization they will begin building these biofilms within the first 24 hours, which greatly improves their ability to resist prescription drugs and natural remedies. Candida glabrata and candida krusei are two such species of yeast that are highly resistant to Fluconazole because of this biofilm. Fluconazole(Diflucan) does not dissolve the biofilm, instead you have to use one of the Enchinocandins. Once the Enchinocandin gets through the biofilm it then disrupts the cell wall killing the yeast. BioFase does the same exact thing as the Enchinocandins but it is an all natural remedy that is taken by mouth and not by injection. Once you get through the biofilm, prescription drugs and natural rememdies are much more effective.
http://jonbarron.org/article/proteolytic-enzyme-formula#.VI3MKnswCi0

Understanding Proteolytic Enzymes

The vast majority of metabolic enzymes in your body, the enzymes that regulate everything from liver function to the immune system, are proteases, or proteolytic enzymes. Proteolytic is a catchall phrase for hydrolytic enzymes that specifically facilitate the chemical breakdown of proteins by severing the bonds between the amino acids that make up those proteins.

Proteolytic enzymes occur naturally in all organisms and constitute 1-5% of all genetic content. They are different from other enzymes in the body in that they are able to adapt to changing needs. For example, the same proteolytic enzyme can meet both digestive and metabolic needs in the body. This is the reason that you will see some of the same proteolytic enzymes in both digestive enzyme formulas and systemic metabolic formulas.

http://doctormurray.com/healing-power-of-proteolytic-enzymes/

Proteolytic enzymes are indicated in inflammatory conditions and to support the immune system. Proteolytic enzymes (or proteases) refer to the various enzymes that digest (break down into smaller units) protein. These enzymes include the pancreatic proteases chymotrypsin and trypsin, bromelain (pineapple enzyme), papain (papaya enzyme), fungal proteases, and Serratia peptidase [serrapeptase](the “silk worm” enzyme). Preparations of proteolytic enzymes have been shown to be useful in the following situations:

• Digestion support
  • Fibrocystic breast disease
  • Food allergies
  • Hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis)
  • Hepatitis C
  • Herpes zoster (shingles)
  • Inflammation, sports injuries and trauma
  • Pancreatic insufficiency
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Rheumatoid arthritis and other
  • Sinusitis, asthma, bronchitis, and autoimmune disorders chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
  • Cancer
How do the proteolytic enzymes help autoimmune conditions like rheumatoid arthritis?

The benefits in some inflammatory conditions appears to be related to helping the body breakdown immune complexes formed between antibodies produced by the immune system and the compounds they bind to (antigens). Conditions associated with high levels of immune complexes in the blood are often referred to as “autoimmune diseases” and include such diseases as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, scleroderma, and multiple sclerosis. Higher levels of circulating immune complexes are also seen in ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, and AIDS. 4-6

http://suzycohen.com/articles/reducepain/ Reduce Inflammation Naturally with Nature’s Pac Man

Proteolytic enzymes another type of enzyme. They chew up proteins and help with digestion. I think they’re great for chronic pain syndromes. They help dissolve fibrin deposits which helps bruising. As a teenager (way back in the 1980’s) we played a game called Pac Man. Remember? (Please tell me you remember). This popular arcade game included a Pac-Man which traveled a maze and gobbled up ghosts. I was a monster at Pac-Man in my hey day! Proteolytic enzymes work in the same way, they just gobble up debris, as opposed to ghosts.

With less debris, there is improved circulation all over your body. Less debris also translates to more oxygen and healing nutrients delivered to the site of injury. As a pharmacist, I recommend you reach for proteolytic enzymes before you NSAIDs such as acetaminophen, naproxen or ibuprofen. Why? Because they are temporary and they have side effects. It’s the equivalent of applying a bandage, and while most of you fair out well, the unlucky few experience diarrhea, nausea, headaches, dizziness, bleeding ulcers or heaven forbid, kidney damage. Besides, if you mask your pain with medicine, but continue to operate as normal, you increase your risk of permanent damage.

This is a vegetarian, proteolytic enzyme called dipeptidyl peptidase, abbreviated as DPPIV (or sometimes DPP4). This proteolytic enzyme is natural and produced in your own body in small amounts.

I put it in my thyroid formula because I’m smart, lol! Seriously, it is integrated into http://www.scriptessentials.com/ because it assists with the breakdown of difficult-to-digest gluten protein fragments such as gluten (from bread and pasta) and casein (from cheese and milk). Gluten and casein are thought to damage the fragile thyroid gland and increase antibody production.

Research on supplemental DPPIV in humans is limited, however one clinical trial studied the effects of enzymes (including DPPIV) in 22 children and adolescents with Autistic Spectrum Disorder. In this open-label trial, 12 weeks of supplementation with the enzyme blend sparked significant improvements in many clinical parameters like attention, comprehension, eye contact, digestion, mood, hyperactivity, perseverance, sleep, social skills, and speech. Evidence suggests supplementation with DPPIV (and/or enzymes in general) can be very helpful to manage the digestive and neurobehavioral symptoms triggered by reactivity to gluten, casein, and other allergenic proteins. The proteins affect your brain and thyroid that’s why they are scientifically known as “neuroactive dietary proteins” and enzymes break them down, it’s pretty straightforward.

Now, I am sure you are going to ask me what proteolytic enzymes I take (or have tried), or recommend. There are many that are reputable, so I want you to really research these on your own and see what feels right, or what your practitioner recommends or sells. If you are shopping online and want to pull up a few brands that I trust, here are a handful to look at, they are all a little bit different and I’m not sure what is right for you. Below this article, you are welcome to post your ideas for other brands… in no particular order:

Thorne Research Dipan-9 (physicians only but I found here.

/best-digestive-enzymes-supplement-pro-digestion-intensive.html(Dr. Ben Lynch), #180 chewables

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=B0015G3IZM&linkCode=as2&tag=dearpharmacis-20s

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=B0015G89SS&linkCode=as2&tag=dearpharmacis-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=B000I2028A&linkCode=as2&tag=dearpharmacis-20

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=skzKvPfRKOQ&subid=&offerid=295092.1&type=10&tmpid=11812&RD_PARM1=http://www.seekinghealth.com/sod-60-vegetarian-capsules-seeking-health.html

SOD by Source Naturals, #180 tablets

Super Enzymes by NOW Foods, #180 (Contains a BUNCH of enzymes, this is broad-spectrum and has ox bile)

ProteoXyme by Xymogen (physician only, or you can look online)

And while we didn’t get to discuss PROBIOTICS here, they are often taken with digestive/proteolytic enzymes. The brand I have recommended for 10 years, and now represent is http://yhst-129545147220636.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

Last edited:
It's feasible NAG might worsen a suspected Candida overgrowth. NAG reduces the Th17 immune response, which helps fight Candida. Th17 is also involved in autoimmunity, so that may be why NAG is good for autoimmune conditions like MS. If you search this thread only (see top right of page) for the word "Candida", you'll see this issue has been discussed.

Dear Hip,

I'll take my chances. The NAG should be arriving any day now and I have not had any flare-ups or symptoms of candida for a long time, at least no noticeable ones. In the meantime, my father, who is a nutritional therapist, has supplements here at his house where I'm staying among which were two jars of curcumin capsules with good absorbability. I realise that you noted in your initial list to go for turmeric and not curcumin but that latter is what I have at my disposal for the time being so I've been using that the last few days. I have, with it, found that I've had a few pockets of time of not feeling as terrible as usual. I'm drawing no conclusions from it though as I am on a reduced dose of 5mg Lexapro which was my previous medication and although it doesn't work as well as it used to and gives me some gut issues, it keeps me somewhat stable in this transitional period of trying to find a new med or supplement that works for me. Concomitantly, I'm winding down dosages of a new med we'd been trying for 6 weeks (which failed), namely mirtazapine. So, things are a little up in the air and there are too many moving parts to draw any conclusions on the curcumin.

Also, to play devil's advocate, I was wondering, if the cause of neuroinflammation may be because of some infection or pathogenic metabolite, wouldn't the inflammation be protecting your brain from being infected? Despite the debilitating side effect of a mood disorder, wouldn't the inflammation itself be protecting your brain from contamination? Just a thought.

Once I am able to get mobile wether via NAG or some new psych med, I aim to take a food intolerance test and a PET scan of the brain. Hopefully, that will show the root of the problem.

Baret

Hip

Also, to play devil's advocate, I was wondering, if the cause of neuroinflammation may be because of some infection or pathogenic metabolite, wouldn't the inflammation be protecting your brain from being infected? Despite the debilitating side effect of a mood disorder, wouldn't the inflammation itself be protecting your brain from contamination? Just a thought.

When I first started reading about the immune system and other biomedical topics (this was when I first caught the virus that precipitated my severe anxiety, anhedonia and ME/CFS), I pondered the very same question as you posed here. Why for example do people take COX-1 or COX-2 anti-inflammatories like aspirin or ibuprofen when they catch a cold? Why do you suppress the COX-1 or COX-2 immune pathways when you have cold? Does not quite make sense on the first analysis.

But I now appreciate that this question of using anti-inflammatory when there is underlying infection is quite a complex issue.

The term anti-inflammatory seems to cover a multitude of things; it can refer to the dampening of the COX-1 or COX-2 immune pathways; it can refer to the use of corticosteroids which powerfully inhibit the whole immune system; it can refer to the dampening of the 5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX) immune pathway; it can refer to inhibition of NF-κB inside cells, which can have an anti-inflammatory effect; it can refer to TNF-alpha inhibitors; it can refer to microglial activation inhibitors, which reduce the neuroinflammation caused by microglial in the brain; etc.

Sometimes the inflammatory response to infection can be too strong, and this results in a lot of collateral damage or tissue death in the body. This was thought to be the case in the 1918 flu epidemic, as that virus could trigger an intense immune response called a cytokine storm in the lungs, which lead to death. There has been some suggestion that using TNF-alpha inhibitors might mitigate this intense inflammation, and so prevent death.

In some infections, the use of anti-inflammatories can actually help fight the infection. For example, COX-2 inhibitors seem to have a potent antiviral effect against herpes simplex virus (see Dr Pridgen's work on this).

Generally there do not seem to be any hard and fast rules regarding whether an anti-inflammatory helps or hinders the treatment of an infection; it requires studies to assess the pros and cons of anti-inflammatories for the case of each pathogen.

And not all forms in inflammation are caused by infection; some types of inflammation are driven by an autoimmune process, where the immune system starts attacking the body's own tissues.

In the brain, an active immune response usually involves the activation of microglial cells in the brain. Microglia are the main part of the brain's built-in immune system. However, it is known that microglia can become over-sensitized (this is called microglial priming), and so switch themselves on into "kill mode" too readily and fiercely, when there is no real need. This is believed to happen in many neurodegenerative diseases. Taking an anti-inflammatory to calm these over-sensitized microglia would likely be advantageous in this case.

In my experiments to treat the brain inflammation that I think was likely causing my anxiety, I found that COX-2 inhibitors like curcumin and propolis were helpful; pharmaceutical COX-2 inhibitors like Celecoxib also worked. And I found my anxiety was reduced by the drug sulfasalazine, which inhibits the NF-κB pathway.

Last edited:
Dear Hip,

That gives me food for thought and it concurs with a lot of my own research on inflammation which raised more questions than answers but your reply does clarify it for me insofar as to the fact that it is a complex issue and that there is no hard and fast rule to it.

For this reason, my father has been urging me to take MSM. a natural anti-inflammatory that is touted widely as a miracle supplement. I thought I'd mention it to you in the hope that I can reciprocate all the good info you're giving me with a nugget of my own although I realise that due to the extent of your research, you've probably already looked into. In any case, check it out if you haven't already; I just started taking it since I'm still waiting for the NAG to arrive. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Many thanks,

Baret

Hip

Thanks for the recommendation, @bretjake. I did try MSM, about 10 years ago I think. This was before I got into the habit of making proper notes on my computer about the date, dosage and effects of each supplement or drug I take. Unfortunately I cannot remember why I was taking MSM, or what benefits it had. It may have been for my IBS, which was severe in those days.

Do let me know if it helps your anxiety.

Thanks for the recommendation, @bretjake. I did try MSM, about 10 years ago I think. This was before I got into the habit of making proper notes on my computer about the date, dosage and effects of each supplement or drug I take. Unfortunately I cannot remember why I was taking MSM, or what benefits it had. It may have been for my IBS, which was severe in those days.

Do let me know if it helps your anxiety.

Dear Hip,

I've been feeling awful as I've been winding down the mirtazapine which I guess is to be expected but I've only been on it 6 weeks. The MSM made me feel worse and after some research, it was evident that people with mood disorders are warned that it can make them jittery.

I also looked up any potential bad interactions that might be happening between the meds and the curcumin and discovered that curcumin is a natural MAOI. As far as I know, MAOI class substances and SSRIs should not be mixed. I

Dear Hip,

I've been feeling awful as I've been winding down the mirtazapine which I guess is to be expected but I've only been on it 6 weeks. The MSM made me feel worse and after some research, it was evident that people with mood disorders are warned that it can make them jittery.

I also looked up any potential bad interactions that might be happening between the meds and the curcumin and discovered that curcumin is a natural MAOI. As far as I know, MAOI class substances and SSRIs should not be mixed. I thought I'd ask you if you have any knowledge on the subject as I'm sure my shrink will just tell me to stop the curcumin even though he doesn't know anything about it.

Thanks,

Baret

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Dear Hip,

The site examine.com is very good for looking up info on supplements, and there is a page on MSM here.

@Hip

I been taking NAG and turmeric powder for three months now. I still notice a moderate drop in anxiety and the ability to breathe better every time I take NAG.

I was curious if you could update me on any big realizations or improvements for our situation? Any new supplements? Due to your recommendations always being spot on, like NAG working, chlorine bit rate helping my anxiety... I know that you know what you're talking about :)

I feel like NAG is just a "band aid" fix for whatever the real issue is.

Hip

Ultimately, I suspect that the inflammation is caused by chronic infection or perhaps some immune oversensitivity. But that is much harder to track down, and even harder to treat. Hence the anti-inflammatory approach, which I think at least may be one step closer to treating the root cause of GAD than just modulating the NMDA or GABA receptors. Doing that is even more of a band aid. This anti-inflammatory method is I think one step closer to the root infectious cause.

Ultimately, I suspect that the inflammation is caused by chronic infection or perhaps some immune oversensitivity. But that is much harder to track down, and even harder to treat. Hence the anti-inflammatory approach, which I think at least may be one step closer to treating the root cause of GAD than just modulating the NMDA or GABA receptors. Doing that is even more of a band aid. This anti-inflammatory method is I think one step closer to the root infectious cause.
Okay, well said. At least we are treating the physical inflammation, opposed to just taking pills to release gaba. I'm one week into a paleo diet, hoping for big results in terms of mood, anxiety, and all that good stuff. Will check back in :) stay active as always.

Dear Hip,

NAG is late but should be this working week. Just wanted to ask, do you know if its safe to take with psych meds (in the attempt to taper off them)? Shrink won't know about it obviously. I can't see any reason why a monosaccharide would mess with the meds but I thought I'd ask if you know.

Thanks again,

Baret

Hip

There are some drug interactions of N-acetyl-glucosamine listed here. Psychiatric medications do not appear to be among them. I did not know NAG has a major interaction with Warfarin. There is no mention of this on the jar of NAG I have. I think I will place this info in the first post of this thread.

Dear Hip,

Still waiting for the NAG to arrive. In the meantime, my father gave me a capsule of Deer Antler Velvet this morning and gave me a document to read on it. Apparently its loaded with aminos, lipids and all sorts of other good stuff, including NAG. I thought I'd mention it to you as its the only source of non-shellfish derived NAG that I know of, provided it works at all that is. Have you heard of this supplement? Have you tried it? I just took a 600mg capsule of it.

Baret

Hip

I have taken deer antler velvet for its IGF-1 content. Too high a dose, and I become very angry and aggressive. But I find a low dose just before bed makes me sleep more deeply and restfully.

starlily88

Dear Hip,

Still waiting for the NAG to arrive. In the meantime, my father gave me a capsule of Deer Antler Velvet this morning and gave me a document to read on it. Apparently its loaded with aminos, lipids and all sorts of other good stuff, including NAG. I thought I'd mention it to you as its the only source of non-shellfish derived NAG that I know of, provided it works at all that is. Have you heard of this supplement? Have you tried it? I just took a 600mg capsule of it.

Baret

Thanks for mentioning Deer Antler Velvet. I want to take NAG, but after reading intensely about it, realized my severe reaction to shrimp (anaphylatic shock) would prevent me from doing NAG - only slim possibility of reaction, not going to take the chance. I never heard of it, so have to see if one can buy it on amazon/i-herb. Did you feel affect? thanx

starlily88

I have taken deer antler velvet for its IGF-1 content. Too high a dose, and I become very angry and aggressive. But I find a low dose just before bed makes me sleep more deeply and restfully.
Hip, besides helping you sleep more deeply - a great result in itself...........
Did you find that it does the same affect as the NAG does for you. If I recall, isn't NAG your top anti-anxiety go to :wide-eyed: ? And what is IGF-1 mean :confused:
thanx for your reply :thumbsup: