Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Complete remission of VZV reactivation treated with valganciclovir

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by heapsreal, Dec 24, 2015.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Varicella zoster virus (VZV), a threat for hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) recipients, is still one of the most common viral pathogens that affect these patients with a reported incidence ranging between 17% and 50% in the post transplantation period. Valganciclovir (V-GCV), a valine ester pro-drug of GCV orally administrable, has recently shown great activity against CMV infections, but there are no reports of its clinical efficacy against VZV. We here report a case history of a patient with positive serologic test for VZV, who underwent allogeneic HSCT and devel- oped an atypical varicella-like illness. First-line therapy with foscarnet had to be discontinued due rapid development of renal impairment (creatinine: 2.60 mg/dL, urea: 130.6 mg/dL) and therefore was switched to V-GCV. The renal impairment and skin lesions of the patient fully recovered after few days of therapy, even though the patient had com- plete lymphocyte depletion. This is the first case of a patient with chickenpox-like illness treated successfully with V-GCV.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/stor...35&s=cbd859a40f40a408bff739fff964a75a3407f29b

merylg, SOC and minkeygirl like this.
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    @heapsreal You gonna be cured?

Link not working for me

merylg and heapsreal like this.
  3. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    That link not working for me either but above is a copy and paste of what it said in short.

4. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    About 3 weeks back on valcyte now. Inklings its helping. The headaches especially on the side of the shingles has reduced and the weird rash on my leg i got at the time of the head shingles is almost gone. Usually it flares up and down by now??

Time will tell .

merylg and minkeygirl like this.
  5. minkeygirl

Left Coast
  6. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Nooo,;kangaroo poo is stronger as they are like giant rats .

Valentijn and minkeygirl like this.
  7. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    Excellent. And it won't get opened in customs.

8. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)

;)

See more popular forum discussions.