1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Complete remission of symptoms when I have hay fever - anyone else had this?

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by Woolie, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

I have doubts now. It could well be methyl bromide from treating the soil where they grow. That is a huge thyroid disruptor.
    In retrospect, I did not get the same effect from ALL types of bananas. Only from some I bought from some shops.
    See here.
    Strawberries also have hypothyroid effects.

2. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    Could this have something to do with potassium and the potassium channel? I haven't eaten strawberries for years because they make me nauseous and itchy.

3. meadowlark

meadowlark Senior Member

Toronto, Canada
    I'm very late to this thread, but here goes... I don't get hay fever, but I got a flu that mimics a sinus condition about five months ago. After a very intense start, it faded to the medium to mild infection I have now...and my immune system can't seem to get on top of it. Meanwhile, I compared notes with two friends who have seasonal allergies, and I was/still am feeling more or less what they do each spring and early summer.

It is remarkable to me that my daily migraine and muscle inflammation/throbbing/ pounding completely disappeared with the start of this "sinus condition." I hope it lasts forever,*** because for five months it's been the best pain killer I've ever had. Sinus pain, itchy eyes, sneezing and the rest is nothing to compared to the level of pain I'd been sustaining. (It was so intense that I'd been prescribed various morpiates as well as medical marijuana--none of which helped me in the least.)

It's an odd dynamic, isn't it?

*** Well, I guess I should be careful what I wish for.

4. Woolie

Woolie

Thanks, Meadowlark, still useful and interesting. I also had that same "careful what you wish for" with the hay fever - was really glad at first, but then got a bit tired of sneezing and feeling sleepy all the time. Hardly a side-effect free treatment!

Hip shared some docs (first page of the thread) about how some types of immune responses - including allergic but not only allergic - might stimulate CD8+ T cells. If I remember rightly, these are the ones that Klimas and others have suggested might be ineffective in people with CFS, leading them to have poorer ability to control reactivation of latent viruses like EBV. There's a bit on this here:

http://simmaronresearch.com/2014/05...nity-hypothesis-fit-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

So perhaps if we can stimulate them with something that is relatively non-threatening and self limiting (like hay fever or a mild cold), we get a temporary benefit.

Another, less interesting possibility is that we may only get these mild reactions (colds, hay fever) when our MECFS is in partial remission. So it might be that rather than causing the remission, they are the result of it. Impossible to tease this apart, because if the two go together, either could be true.

meadowlark and MeSci like this.
  5. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Just looking at some of my old test results and CD8 was elevated as well as CD3+CD16+CD56
    also CD3+HLADR+
    Some are related to allergies, but I don't understand I lot of it. I intend to get some further info from my doc when I see them.

6. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Mine probably is even more agressive. I take 100mg everyday.

7. place

place Be Strong!

US
    Sorry haven't read the whole thread but wanted to put my 2cents in

I love getting a cold!!!' After the initial two days I feel great, energy up, body is relaxed mind is wide open. It ain't right!!!!

8. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I used to feel great when I had a cold or flu in the early days of ME. Now I don't seem to get them at all, so don't get that lovely reminder of what it's like to feel almost well!

9. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    Ditto @place about loving to get a cold! I feel so much better and sleep better also. God............I feel like the answer is just staring me in the face.

10. Bunchy

Bunchy

UK
    @Inester7 - I also have had partial remission of many symptoms with mild cold viruses - can you explain what immune modulator they put you on for this as I didn't understand the first time?! Did any doctor you saw have an explanation or theory for this phenomenon?

Thanks, Bunchy x

11. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    When I first got ME I was allergic to a vast range of stuff, as it progressed I got more chemical intolerances (light headedness) and longer 'common colds'. I do find with infection my thyroid pattern symptoms improve.

12. Leopardtail

England
    Strawberrries have issues with bromide used as a pesticide too, it was mentioned at the thyroid summit.

13. Leopardtail

England
    One obvious question comes up here re supplements that help this:
    Has anyone here come up with a way of keeping track of the severity of allergy symptoms?

See more popular forum discussions.