Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Complementary and alternative healthcare use by participants in the PACE trial of treatments for CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Complementary and alternative healthcare use by participants in the PACE trial of treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome.

Esther12, Woolie, barbc56 and 2 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This is uninteresting if you're interested in learning about treatments as there is not a breakdown by therapy. They have 3 categories:
    CAM medication use;
    CAM practitioner use;
    & Any CAM use.

No percentage breakdown is given of the use of different CAM therapies or CAM practitioners.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    Esther12, snowathlete, MEMum and 5 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They do highlight a big problem with the interpretation of the data.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    Esther12, snowathlete, MEMum and 7 others like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They claimed the following, but I'm not sure what evidence there is for it (maybe someone can point it out to me):

At one point they say:

Esther12, Daisymay, MEMum and 6 others like this.
  5. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    How does "nearly significant" work, then?

Ritto, Webdog, Bob and 4 others like this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I'll translate: "It wasn't significant at all, even when using a p-value of 0.05 or 0.1, and doing our best to manipulate the data to produce a significant result."

:nerd:

soti, panckage, barbc56 and 8 others like this.
  7. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

God, what a zero paper. There's just nothing at all in it. No research question, method, no design, no result. How the hell do they get this guff published?

TiredSam, Dolphin, Bob and 9 others like this.
  8. MEMum

MEMum Senior Member

Let's just hope there's no skewed press coverage of this zero paper.

Woolie, Dolphin, Bob and 3 others like this.
  9. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

In my innocence I had presumed that anyone taking part in any scientific trial would have to agree to not start any other treatments for the duration of the trial? Obviously wrong.

And why has it taken 5 years to come out with this info? Oh off course, they need to prolong the PACE trial papers for as long as possible as it's one of their excuses for not publishing the raw data.

Surely as a potential confounding factor this should have been addressed at the very beginning of the PACE saga not now?

How can they differentiate as to whether some, just some of the supposed improvement they claim to be due to CBT/GET wasn't down to some patients being helped to say sleep better, be in less pain, shade more eneregy with say acupuncture, osteopathy, magnesium etc so might these statistically insignificant CAM improvements have helped to skew the CBT/GET scores in a positive direction without them knowing? Or the placebo effect of CAM?

10. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

Tell me if you think I am over-interpreting this.

Do they really have any interest in the clinical outcome of CAM use? The message which they might wish to have come across is that the majority of patients are female proponents of CAM, and we all know what that means; nudge, nudge.

The audience to which this message might speak would not understand that there is no comparison with use of CAM in other established conditions. So what is the point of it?

Woolie, TiredSam, ukxmrv and 5 others like this.
  11. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

Yes I wouldn't be surprised if it were their aim.

A rapid search brings numbers quite similar for the use of CAM in cancer patients:

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/cancer/camcancer.htm#use

http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/18/13/2515.abstract

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    TiredSam, Snowdrop, Esther12 and 3 others like this.
  12. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Which basically makes the whole thing a completely useless piece of research. You can't group together dozens, or hundreds, maybe even thousands of alternative treatments and measure them together as if they are one thing. Of course you will find what you find. I'm not a big fan of alternative treatments, mostly they are a waste of time, but I long for some decent quality research from the UK, not this kind of junk.

13. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    'nearly significant'....I've not seen that in a paper before. Surely, the point is that it is either significant or it is not. Nearly significant is the same as 'not significant' in my book.

I am not at all surprised that people who are in a treatment arm of a trial lower their use of alternative treatments. No doubt they do the same when trying a new alternative treatment, how else can you tell what is working? Common sense, surely.

Valentijn, Daisymay and sarah darwins like this.
  14. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

It will also depend on whether therapists and doctors discouraged their use.

It does make me wonder what counts as CAM for example does taking vitamin supplements (unless suggested by a doctor or dietician)?

15. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Yes, could taking one vitamin D capsule each day count as CAM?

snowathlete, Bob and A.B. like this.
  16. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Nearly significant is the same as "nearly insignificant."

Cheshire, sarah darwins and Daisymay like this.
  17. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    I was going to agree but ... isn't it the same as "insignificant".

snowathlete and CFS_for_19_years like this.
  18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

That's not much of a definition of CAM.

CAM is defined as being delivered by CAM practitioners, who are defined by delivering CAM.

I'd be interested in knowing how they justified splitting CAM from CBT/GET/APT.

Woolie, TiredSam, Vasha and 7 others like this.
  19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Not 100% clear. They say:
    and
    I'm sceptical of a lot of alternative medicine. However treatments like l-carnitine are based on plausible theories and have RCT evidence. These look like they would be counted as CAM in the trial; probably vitamins also.

Valentijn and Bob like this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Remember it is the Journal of Psychosomatic Research - the authors are convinced that they have undertaken real physical research but this is merely a false belief on their part.

Ritto, halcyon, Woolie and 20 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.