1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Comparison of CFS/ME with other disorders: an observational study (Knudsen et al., 2012)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Yes, and I think there are ways to get the same point across without using the "S" word - like physical or physiological. "Somatic", while denoting the same thing as "physical" or "physiological", it's seems to be more favored by psychologists. It also might be used somewhat as a code word, selected for its connotations of closely related concepts like "somatization" or "psychosomatic", thereby alerting the audience to their views without being so brazen as to label ME/CFS psychosomatic.

It's also important to note that all of the researchers are from psychological or psychiatric departments at their institutions. They almost certainly intended to study CFS as a psychological disorder, barely even giving lip service to any comparison to physiological diseases.
    alex3619 likes this.
  2. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I think Fluge and Mella used the phrase somatic in talking of ME after their rituximab study. I was wondering if it was a more natural translation from Norwegen.
    Dolphin likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.