• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Company's Gut Bacteria Are Worth $1.9 Billion

natasa778

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-company-s-gut-bacteria-is-worth-1-9-billion

Seres doesn't have any revenue or products on the market. Its most promising candidate is a pill in mid-stage trials to treat Clostridium difficile, a type of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. That’s a nasty infection that spreads in hospitals among patients who have been treated with antibiotics that tend to wipe out both the healthy and harmful bacteria in their guts. Tough cases of C. diff. are sometimes treated with fecal transplants—yes, that means exactly what you think it does—to recolonize patients with beneficial gut flora.

Seres’s experimental therapy, which is in mid-stage human trials, would replace the stool transfer with a pill that’s derived from helpful human bacteria. Here’s how Bloomberg Businessweek described it last year:

Seres’s 10-milligram pill, called Ecobiotics, combines 5 to 15 purified bacterial strains into a two- to three-pill, once-a-day dose that appears to restore the equilibrium of the microbiome—the collection of organisms that live inside humans—and the health of the gut. ...

Clostridium butyricum is used in Japan for the prevention of C.difficile infections. It's easily available as the probiotic Miyarisan.

I've heard it's useless... Supplements of probiotics settle in the upper parts of the digestive tract and generally do not make it all the way down to the bowel?

adreno

PR activist
I've heard it's useless... Supplements of probiotics settle in the upper parts of the digestive tract and generally do not make it all the way down to the bowel?
If that were the case, then the pills mentioned in the OP wouldn't work either. From the research I've seen, it does make it to the lower bowels, especially if taken with food or fibers. But there's nothing to stop you from using the rectal route. Some people prefer this method.

Daffodil

wonder if one day, gut flora will be found to dictate not only which diseases a person will be vulnerable to, but their actual personality development as well.

Last edited:

dannybex

Clostridium butyricum is used in Japan for the prevention of C.difficile infections. It's easily available as the probiotic Miyarisan.
And also in the AOR's Probiotic 3.

@adreno, you've been following this more closely than many of us -- do you know if the Miyarisan is preferred over the AOR product?

Thanks in advance.

If that were the case, then the pills mentioned in the OP wouldn't work either. From the research I've seen, it does make it to the lower bowels, especially if taken with food or fibers. But there's nothing to stop you from using the rectal route. Some people prefer this method.

Thanks! Can you link me to some research as I need to share it with someone? :)