• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Compact, FOLDABLE scooter?

Hi. I'm new here, and I just finished reading the thread on wheelchairs/scooters. There was some very useful information in there, but I have one unanswered question. Has anyone found a scooter that folds up and DOESN'T need to be dis/assembled? My joint pain is especially bad in my hips (thus the need for the scooter) and my hands (which makes assembling/disassembling difficult). I'm looking for something that simply folds up and unfolds but doesn't need to be taken apart. Does anyone know of anything like that?

THANKS!

*GG*

If I recall that thread at all, you might want to contact (Private Message, email) Sallysblooms!

GG

PS Welcome to the forum!

Mary Poppins

75% Smurf
Alongside PMing the wonderful Sallysblooms, have you checked out ebay? I hear that there's some pretty good deals for scooters/mobility aids there.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Mary Poppins, I did see this thread. I have two wheelchairs for long distance with my POTS, but no scooter. Every scooter I have seen takes some time to assemble. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Couple questions. I looked at Travelscoot, and it has to be assembled. Can you leave it mostly assembled and fit it in a car trunk?

I LOVE the luggie-scooter's advertisement, but I can't get it to go to any other pages, so I can't see how much it costs. I like the idea that you can simply unfold it. I don't have a lot of agility or strength in my hands, so I'm curious how easy it is to unlatch/latch things, etc. I'm also trying to find out how much it weighs.

I read the other thread about scooters and most info was for the bigger ones. I really need someone simple and lightweight...

I'll report back if I find any other info...

A friend just offered me a FREE electric wheelchair. Might just take that. Not sure which looks cooler: a scooter or a wheelchair? LOL!

Valentijn

The luggie doesn't really look easier to assemble, but it does have reverse, which the other one in this thread was lacking (guy has to use his feet to roll himself backward). Also looks like the luggie is set up better for airplane travel.

jace

Off the fence
I looked at a Luggie - it's much heavier, at 50lb plus battery at 3lb (although I find that battery weigh hard to believe)
The Travelscoot is 29lb, with a 6lb battery. Range is 12 miles, speed is 6mph. Travelscoot is the only one that is approved for carry on on airlines, so you can ride right up to the aircraft steps (not that I'm well enough to travel anywhere).

If the Luggie's battery is only 3lb, I doubt its range (quoted as 12 miles as well). But I do think that figure is wrong. It is also slower at 4mph, and more expensive.

I keep the seat assembly whole, so the thing is just 2 parts plus the battery. It fixes in place with a quick release lever, which is easy to do up and undo. You do have to remove the battery and seat assembly to fold the trike, but if you had a big boot, the handlebar collapses telescopically, so it might fit whole.

It really depends what you want to do with it. I don't have room here to house a Luggie without carrying it upstairs. The Travelscoot main frame is small enough to leave downstairs without annoying anybody. I like being quick, and being able to pick the whole thing up with one hand means you don't get stopped by obstacles. I'm allowed on the buses round here, but I doubt I would be on a Luggie.

However, the Luggie is more of a 'proper' scooter.

Orla

That Luggie looks great. I had the same problem with getting the price, but if you click on the Learn More button on the front page that brings you to the price and ordering section.

On the Luggie site it says the battery is 4.4 Lbs, and the range 11 which could be accurate enough, as I think things like the speed at which a scooter can go at its quickest could make a difference to the range, also the weight of the person on it. (As far as I can remember with the Travelscoot it specified that the range was for a person weighing about 180 pounds going on the flat for 12 miles. I just weighed my travelscoot lithium ion battery and my scales says it is 4.4lbs in weight ).

I have the Travelscoot and love it. It is lighter than the Luggie, at 35 lbs (the Luggie is 56lbs or so), but I think it is great that there is increasing choice out there now. I don't fully dismantle the Travelscoot before putting it in the car. The chair is in 3 parts and I can leave it fully together, or sometimes I take off the back rest (depending on the where I need to store it). The front wheel can come off but I never take it off. Depending on the type of car and trunk/boot you have on the car, you might need more or less dismantelling of it. Though personally I think it would reduce the weight a little to at least take the chair and battery off it. How strong you are as well in terms of lifting would affect it I think. Sometimes I get taxis and if it is a big van they lift the whole scooter into the car in one piece.

I looked at the Travelscoot, too! It looked like it might not be as stable. Does it feel SOLID? Also, it looked like you have to rest your feet at an angle near the front wheel. Is there a place to set your feet flat? I have a lot of hip problems, so I need a comfortable seat.

Glad to have found someone who has one! :)

jace

Off the fence
The travelscoot feels solid, yes. It is not suitable for people who need armrests to support them, though, or people who cannot walk at all.

The footpeg position means that your feet are raised compared to a normal seating position, which actually helps me with my POTS. The seat is upholstered in good thick foam, and is comfortable enough in my experience. Although the tyres are good, there is no other form of suspension, so it's not one to ride for miles.

Thanks for the info. I wish there was a place you could rent them for a day or two to try them out. It is frustrating to have to buy something that costs so much money site-unseen.

November Girl

I don't know if you're still interested, but there are many sites online that allow you to rent for a few days, with the rent applied towards purchase. One site had a 3 free day trial. If you chose not to purchase, you would have to pay the return shipping fee (about $70 from Dallas) I believe both TravelScoot and Luggie are made in Washington state., US - or I guess i should say shipped from there to US purchasers. I've no idea where they're manufactured.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I just read this thread again. Back inOct, I didn't have a scooter yet! We bought a Pride Go Go scooter a few months ago. I don't have to use it much now. My POTS has improved quickly lately. Scooters are so nice.