The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Comorbidities treated in primary care in children with CFS/ME (Norway)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Effi, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    http://bmcfampract.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12875-016-0527-7

Comorbidities treated in primary care in children with chronic fatigue syndrome / myalgic encephalomyelitis: A nationwide registry linkage study from Norway

Inger J. BakkenEmail authorView ORCID ID profile, Kari Tveito, Kari M. Aaberg, Sara Ghaderi, Nina Gunnes, Lill Trogstad, Per Magnus, Camilla Stoltenberg and Siri E. Håberg

BMC Family Practice BMC series – open, inclusive and trusted
    201617:128 DOI: 10.1186/s12875-016-0527-7 © The Author(s). 2016
    Received: 9 April 2016 Accepted: 26 August 2016 Published: 2 September 2016

2. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    I'd always assumed glandular fever/infectious mono was a much more common cause of mecfs in children.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Effi, Luther Blissett and Valentijn like this.
  3. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member

Yorkshire, England
    What an interesting and well written paper.

It's just a small thing, but the flow chart in fig. 1 , and the way the tables are formatted made this so much easier for someone like me to understand.

It's interesting that the Diagnoses relating to infections shows such a difference between groups even up to 2 years before the ME diagnosis.

Dolphin and Effi like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

That was for within 2 years after diagnosis. The figure for ever was higher:
    Also not everyone would necessarily have been tested for glandular fever/infectious mononucleosis.

Simon and Valentijn like this.
  5. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    So that's still 80% of cases not being from glandular fever, which surprises me - but Ive never found good data before this study.

It's been around for years. I can't imagine doctors wouldn't test for mono - it's easy to do, probably cheap - if you have a chlid that ill, I'd have thought it would be one of the first they reach for.

6. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I am not saying this is the best possible data but here are some links on glandular fever/"mono"

Predictors of post-infectious chronic fatigue syndrome in adolescents

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3956649/

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Following Infectious Mononucleosis in Adolescents: A Prospective Cohort Study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2756827/

And the IOM report discusses "mono" and ME in

http://www.nap.edu/read/19012/chapter/8

(this study ends in 2016)
    A PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF CFS FOLLOWING INFECTIOUS MONONUCLEOSIS IN COLLEGE STUDENTS
    https://projectreporter.nih.gov/pro...aram=&ddvalue=&ddsub=&cr=1&csb=default&cs=ASC

Simon likes this.
  7. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    25% is the figure I have heard, so not much difference between 20 to 25. Not sure if the number is from anectodal evidence or a previous study.

GG

Simon likes this.
  8. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Really interesiting - I'd love to know where are the other cases come from.

There's more evidence that mono isn't responsible for most childhood cases. Here's an age profile of CFS in kids, using the same Norwegian population database
    Two age peaks in the incidence of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis: a population-based registry study from Norway 2008-2012 |
    [​IMG]

Note the peak is mid-teens. Now here's one for mono. Note that, by contrast, the peak age for mono is early twenties.

mono profile.gif
    If mono was responsiblle for most childhood cases, I would have expected the two profiles to be closer together (or perhaps as children become adults glandular fever is less likely to develop into CFS).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    BruceInOz likes this.
  9. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member

Tasmania
    I can't see the second figure, just a "Image hosted by tripod" logo

ETA sorry, it's there now.

10. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member

Tasmania
    Doesn't mono/glandular fever usually go unnoticed in younger kids as just a normal cold/flu? It might be just that it is only the older cohort that get prolonged symptoms that give cause to look for EBV.

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.