May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Comorbid personality disorders in CFS patients: a marker of psychopathological severity" (Calvo)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text at: http://www.actaspsiquiatria.es/repositorio//17/94/ENG/17-94-ENG-58-65-735302.pdf

Simon and Sean like this.
  2. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
  3. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Hmmm, sadness, irritability, resentment, suspicion, guilt, anxiety, and hostility all seem like healthy, rational responses to all that TOTALLY SUCKS about this disease!

The next step is to sedate them all so that they will stop expecting anything more from their health care providers.

Brilliant!

alex3619, sarah darwins, Effi and 6 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Gee, I wonder if such an allegedly high rate has anything to do with dodgy definitions?

5. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    Did I miss the ill controls?

wdb, Simon, sarah darwins and 4 others like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    This kind of study suffers from severe participation/selection biases. Secondly, those questionnaires are not validated for chronically ill patients and thus their use is highly questionable.

Only a high quality prospective study (ie one that starts before patients are ill) can really show whether there is a link or not.

wdb, Simon, Valentijn and 6 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Just more evidence (as if we needed any more convincing) that peer review is badly broken in psychiatry/psychology.

8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    The problem isn't peer review, the problem is people who pay no attention to bias when designing a study.

9. SOC

SOC

Most certainly! But any degree of decent peer review should catch poor study design, especially one with obvious bias. You don't even need to be working in the field to recognize study design this poor. If papers at this low level of quality didn't make it past peer review, researchers would start paying attention to reducing bias in their studies.

10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I believe that all studies should be published, no matter how crap. Just that the discussion should be written in a way that is well aware of how crap the study was....

Valentijn likes this.
  11. SOC

SOC

We can agree to disagree on that one. :) I have a hard time imagining a researcher being clear in the discussion about what a piece of crap his/her research is. Therefore, I would rather the crap never got into the public record to add confusion and incorrect information into the knowledge pool.

Never Give Up and Snowdrop like this.
  12. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

What kind of psychopathology drives people to see psychopathology everywhere?

13. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Beware those in whom the urge to control and punish is strong.

SOC, Asa and Valentijn like this.
  14. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

I think we need to come up with a name for this! Psychopathology paranoia? Psychopathanoia? Compulsive projection -anoia? Psychopathology fixation? Jerky faced buttheadanoia?

SOC, sarah darwins and Valentijn like this.
  15. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA
    There is a thread on a previous paper on the same general subject here, with a relevant response that @Bob posted.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...hronic-fatigue-syndrome-a-controlled-s.19947/

ME Research UK
    Breakthrough magazine
    Issue 17
    Spring 2013

BELGIUM.

Personality disorders not a factor.

CDSM-IV axis II personality disorders involve 'maladaptive personality traits', such as obsessive-compulsive disorder. A study from Belgium reports no increase in such personality disorders in ME/CFS patients compared with people in the community (prevalence 16.3% in each group, in contrast with 58.7% in a comparison group of psychiatric patients). No surprise there then, particularly as the results accord with a previous study in 2009 (prevalence 12% in both patients and controls).

The interesting thing is that both of these 'negative' investigations used the ADP-IV questionnaire to assess personality disorder, whereas other 'positive' studies (reporting moderate differences between ME/CFS patients and controls) have tended to use the PDQ questionnaire which, as the authors point out, gives high rates of false positives and overestimates the prevalence of personality disorder. Such matters are important, particularly when the results of research studies affect the lives of real people, and impact on healthcare professionals' views of the illness!

Source: Kempke et al., Int J Behav Med, 2012

sarah darwins, Valentijn and Cheshire like this.
  16. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail

SOC, sarah darwins and Bob like this.
  17. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    Trouble is where are you going to find psychologists who will accomplish any degree of decent peer review, most of them wouldn't catch poor study design if it came up and hit them in the face.

SOC, Snowdrop, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Ill controls with another disease that is not curable, badly understood, and has as much stigma and other issues?

Snow Leopard and Valentijn like this.
  19. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    False positives are a huge problem in this area of research, particularly when they do not distinguish between personality disorder and other circumstances that create a similar view.

20. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I'm not clear on whether these were 132 consecutive patients diagnosed with CFS by their internal medicine department or was there an unknown greater number of CFS patients seen by the internists from which these 132 were plucked by the authors (psychiatrists) because they were referred to their department for psychiatric assessment. If the latter, no bueno.

Still, even in a biased sample like this they found

This is lifetime diagnoses, not current. Quite low for a disorder which most doctors think is just a mood or anxiety disorder.

Seeing as they had a psychiatrist and a clinical psychologist doing SCID-I for Axis I disorders I don't see why they didn't also administer SCID-II for personality disorders (aside from it taking a really long time to administer so it's easier to just photocopy some questionnaires for the patient to fill out) instead of going with a self-report measure of personality. Clinician-rated measures in psychiatry are not great but they are far less ludicrous than self-reported ones.

Roy S likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.