• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Come in the UK's media,your time has come !

Quilp

Quilp interviews The Editor Sir Wayne Kerr of The Daily Times Newspaper, one of the most well respected fictional papers in the whole of modern civilisation

Quilp : Sir Wayne Kerr I really would like to draw your attention to the recent Alter paper, that confirms an earlier association of M.E with a debilitating retrovirus. This is huge news but as yet nothing has made it into the main stream press here in the Uk. Are you aware that the embargo has been lifted ?

My eyes followed Kerrs all the way from her head to her toes, as a bossom brunette fragrantly wafted into the room launching Kerr into a paralytic cacophony; like a teddy bear that had been wound up and left to wander freely; a meandering halted only by her smile, as she gently poured his coffee, her bossom breasts heaving themselves in a rhythmic oscillation only inches from his racing, clinking, spluttering, heart. She left the room and a silence ensued.
He was fixed on nothing in particular but his head was slightly cocked and his grinning, fiendish, rubicund face threatened to crystallise his expression ad infinitum, before a spasm of unknown origin sparked his lifeless corpse into production once again.

Quilp : Sorry Sir Kerr but time is of the essence, our blood supply is being contaminated as we speak. Millions of people around the world are in danger and they dont even know it. This is a medical urgency of the utmost importance. We should go into print right away, here I have some notes that might help

Sir Wayne Kerr : Would you look at that little dolly, I wouldnt mind contaminating her. I wouldnt mind being in danger with that little philly. Look at those legs, thats what I call a health warning.
Came from The Daily Mail you know, well built, a little controversial, right of centre, doesnt like foreigners. Shell go far, and let me tell you Quilt, I wouldnt mind going far with her

Sir Wayne Kerr winked, nodded, winked again, closed his eyes, opened them again. Im not sure if he was trying to elicit a smile from myself, but I have M.E. I was already feeling spikey, and so I just stared at him; one of my stony faced M.E stares that nothing can shift; that total indifference to anything and everything.
Instead I rolled my eyes, but he repaid the gesture without exacting a reply. I rolled them again, twice more and again before falling out of my chair.

Sir Wayne Kerr : Ok Quilt, look, back to Antler, tell me more. Canadian is she ?

Quilp : HE, and its ALTER, and Im Quilp

Sir Wayne Kerr : Look Quilpy we are in the business of selling newspapers, but our remit extends beyond that of the bottom line. Oh I know that political machinations command a degree of diplomacy across a wide spectrum of our social strata, but we are fundamentally a paper of record, with exacting standards of the highest order.

At the start of a speech suggestive of Churchillian proportions a young man, fresh from the rigours of puberty scurried by Kerrs window, cognisant of the fact that Kerr was inside, and anxious to move his legs as quickly as possible, sight unseen, his hunched figure moved with such alacrity as to mimic that of a static figure on a fast moving escalator.

Sir Wayne Kerr : Peanuts !!! What about that Cameron story !

Kerr bellowed with such voracity that even after some ten minutes, the bossom brunettes bossom, perched no less than three corridors away refused to stop violently vibrating. Several production team members, a sub editor, three cleaners, a street vendor, ( seconded for the purpose ) pickled with an assortment of office pencils and rubbers, finally managed to subdue the two beauties in question.
It would be remiss of me in not mentioning the fact that the said beauties in question had in fact exploded after the street vendor had tried to subdue the offending beauties by diving on top of her.

Peanuts : Yes Sir Wayne Kerr esq, Sir, Master, Sir, I did, I mean I have, I mean I will. One of our easily corruptible gutter journalists, whilst scouring some rubbish bins and bribing a local window cleaner. Well, not exactly bribed as such, they had to beat him up

Sir Wayne Kerr : Steady peanut, steady.

Peanut : Sorry ( here peanut pinched something from his pocket, glared at it with an engaging intensity, then put it back ) we had to reorganise his posture as it were, and we didnt bribe him exactly, we furnished him with complimentary gifts commensurate with our charitable status
and yes we found that he does indeed wear his wifes lingerie on a Wednesday.

Sir Wayne Kerr : Capital young peanuts, capital. Well run along. You see Quilt that is what I am talking about. Without our roving reporters who would have known that our Prime Minister indulges in such salaciousness. Well run that story tomorrow, lets see what Barak Osama makes of that, not to mention that Russian bloke, Pukein Quilt old boy are you ok, you seem to have turned a generous shade of yellow. Is that Antlers doing ? Is she bribing you as well ? Would you like me to take out an injunction out on her ? Leave it to me, shell never work in this city ever again.

He rolled a Cuban cigar under his nose and sat back into his chair, and contemplated all that was good in his world. An effusion of power seeped from every waking moment, every gesture of the hand, every scribe of his pen. He wrestled with notions of death and the beyond but only in private. He tried to bargain with time, treaded the tides of destiny but just now and again, and lately more now than again, a tsunami of inevitability washed over him and he would sink to his knees in a bumbling flood of tears.
I couldnt help wondering how someone like this had become so important, have so much influence, become so detached from the ordinary man. He was devoid of any insight into human suffering having been raised above the reaches of such tentacles from a tender age.
What would happen to him if he woke tomorrow with M.E. ? Like a pack of cards; like a pack of cards.

Sir Wayne Kerr : Quilt, I am a Knight of The Realm, born into importance. My Father too was also a Sir Wayne Kerr, my grandad the same, and his dad also. Try as I might, try as I would to escape greatness in all its glory, what can one do ? I come from a long line of Wayne Kerrs. I am, always was, always will be, a first class Wayne Kerr.

Quilp : Millions of people out there are suffering from a serious, debilitating lifelong illness, that is destroying our lives. Nobody will listen, nobody in the Uk will help us. I am riddled with pain, I cannot work, I just feel like ending it all, because I just cant take it anymore. If I have to, I will beg you. Please tell the world what is happening, let them make up their own minds, let them, the people, be the ones who decide.

Sir Wayne Kerr stroked his whiskers, perused the contents of his desk, sat back and stared at his achievements adorning every square inch of every square wall, in every square way.
After Eton followed a first at Harvard, Cambridge, Oxford, Yale, back to Oxford. A PHD in abstract nothingness from Cal Tech, and an Editor of the Year award from family and friends. Sir Wayne Kerr Bsc, Wtf, Xmrv, TIT.. having exhausted the English alphabet numbers soon followed. His peers described him as the most intelligent man they had ever known, though it has to be said that that particular appellation was afforded to each and every one of them..by each and every one of them.
It was said that Sir Wayne Kerr was so important that were he to die, the earth would tilt on its axis towards the sun because his life needed to be celebrated in brilliant sunlight like the northern star that he was ( actually he was afraid of the dark )

I had a real concern that Kerr was about to fall asleep, but just then a change in his countenance, like a Phoenix Rising, ( only not as Rising as ours :Retro smile: ) a smile stretched across his face like a shaft of light filtering through the clouds, compassionate cherubs adorning his ageing features, angels dancing, music playing, he stood, nodding his head with such solemnity, such reverance, that I felt compelled to stand too, my soul at one with his, my life in his hands, this was it, I had climbed the mountain.

Sir Wayne Kerr : Paracetamol ?

Countrygirl

I really enjoyed that, Quilp! Thank you.

Now, what about the U.K. media? How do we do get them to take notice of us?

As ever, with the UK media, with great difficulty. There does seem a reluctance in the UK press to publish any meaningful response. My experience is that an article, if it's published, invariably raises a mass of comment from around the world that is invariably ignored. What the whole ME issue needs is a really big scandal for the media pirahnas to gorge on. As sufferers we already know that the situation from our perspective is a scandal. What we really need to see is the exposure/fall of some of the big named 'game' players.

taniaaust1

Those in the UK need to gather together.. get together list of news tv reporters (they have 24hr hotline numbers) ... lists of newpaper contacts etc etc.. all read to go for people to easily access when needed eg for the following... And when the first English study XMRV postive findings come out... contact them all with that!!! getting as many as possible to contact. Mails to send could be prepared in advance.
Of cause they all could be contacted now.. about the confirmation study..

start grouping and planning.

ukxmrv

It is happening behind the scenes, Tania. We do have lists and contacts and are working through them. You only see a small part of UK campaigning activities here.

Many people are working on this rather than reporting to a forum what they are doing. It was discussed in advance.

What we need are well volunteers to help as many people are too ill to phone, write letters etc. Same old story everywhere I think.

taniaaust1

It is happening behind the scenes, Tania. We do have lists and contacts and are working through them. You only see a small part of UK campaigning activities here.

Many people are working on this rather than reporting to a forum what they are doing.

What we need are well volunteers to help as many people are too ill to phone, write letters etc. Same old story everywhere I think.

no good for others behind the scenes if they dont have access to emails and phone numbers etc. to contact when the news breaks. people should be trying to get that info onto every CFS/ME site they can esp any English ones where the English are hanging out (i assume there must be mostly UK CFS sites about the place) .. so when the news hits.. heaps more people will be contacting those who need to hear about it. If i lived in the uk.. right now i would not know who to contact.

ukxmrv

Tania, I did reply to you on another thread. Some contacts are already reporting that they are deluged and don't want further calls. Obviously it is up to every UK patient to best decide how they want to publicise this. Personally, I would not want to antagonise my own contacts. We have our own groups and word is being spread. This forum is not representative of the UK campaiging scene.

muffin

Guys: I am beyond shocked that Weasel has that much power to lock out real research from the media. You guys are really living in a medical police state, aren't you? Shocked and saddened by this for you all.
Weasel and his buddies must be taken down. You all will have to go the back route and hit the media, UK websites/blogs, etc. and get the message OUT that ME is real and there is indeed a virus associated with it.
As an American, every single time I see a photo of the Weasel I want to vomit. He's so disgusting looking that you just know he's got his own serious, deep personality disorders. Yuck! How did he get where he got???

You guys and we Americans will go round the back door and get the real research out to the UK public. The internet is too powerful for even the Weasel to deal with. Plus, way too many newspapers, journals, TV media, etc. are reporting this and so it will be picked up in the UK. But you all (and US) will have to tailor that message so that Weasel, others do not damage and destroy it. Emphasis on the blood supply and the 7% of blood donating, healthy controls - which in the US amounts to 20 MILLION people as carriers, not yet sick and able to transmit this family of viruses. Do the maths - what would that number be in the UK? Ditto for the number of sick CFS/ME? Maths again.

I really am sorry that you all do really live in a medical police state. We here - all of us from all countries - will do our best to help you all in the UK. Reeves and Weasel as well as the others involved for the last 25 plus years will be made to pay - investigations and (please God) prison sentences worthy of their crimes against humanity. And several pint of my blood since I am a Universal Donor and I believe my blood can be given to just about every blood type (have to check on the very rare group though).

taniaaust1

Tania, I did reply to you on another thread. Some contacts are already reporting that they are deluged and don't want further calls. Obviously it is up to every UK patient to best decide how they want to publicise this. Personally, I would not want to antagonise my own contacts. We have our own groups and word is being spread. This forum is not representative of the UK campaiging scene.

?? i never said it was representive?? so im not sure where you got that from..
If you read my post again you will see i was suggesting strongly UK forums where the UK ones hang out. "esp any English ones where the English are hanging out" were my words..
this isnt a English forum!!!!

It seems that no one can suggest anything at this site without ones who are involved in the other site thinking one is trying to take members away from the other site!! My comment wasnt really nothing to do with the forum wars which are going on, in fact i was suggesting English forums were even better (thou i think getting the info everyone is great).

i was just saying the info all over the place on the net helps everywhere, more people involved the better when it comes to trying to change what is occuring in a country it would be very hard with small group. Its cool that you are spreading the word. I dont understand how hundreds of different people emailing a newspaper on something which would make good news... would antagonise a paper. It just shows the level community interest.

(yeah thou they would get annoyed if same person mailed over and over).
i didnt see your other post

muffin

Oooh, and here we go again. "This forum is not representative of the UK campaiging scene." We had this issue before and the bottom line is this: each person should be able to do what they think is correct. As far as I know, the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and other countries are NOT the Replacement Soviet Union. A united voice is great but, each person should be able to do and say what they believe is correct - and appropriate to the situation so that the "cause" is not damaged.

Applaud others for acting. Until quite recently, no one anywhere did a damn thing about ME/CFS with regards to real advocacy and hitting the policy makers, media, and public. If those contacts - journalists, policy makers, researchers, etc. are tired of being beaten on, well too bad. That's their job. The people in the UK pay taxes for their Parliament Reps and their medical care. The folks in the UK buy the newspapers.
Remember: All these people do work for you directly or indirectly. And thus far, not many of them have been doing their jobs. Have they? Make them do their jobs - just be gracious about it all.

joy

Seriously To the music of "The sound of music" How do we treat a boy like Wayne Kerr"

I have had serious thoughts on this, hand cuffing myself to the Westminster railings naked, but then the police have guns and Wessley's just up the road and I would have been committed to the Maudsley hosp, also some one might come along with an iron.
My friends and I have been pains at the APPG trying to say our bit and ignored by the MP's suposed to support us . Our questions put on the back burner, that is not even alight.
So for my next foray into the evil house of Westminster, I am waiting for ideas that will make such an impact , before the ideas get to whacky, remember London is cold in November when the new APPG starts, and I can only go if the powers that be let the public in (thats me I joe public) because it has been known that the labour APPG I think it was four of maybe five years ago, we the ME people did not get in to the APPG. I think it was RIME and some others made a protest, so we could go.

taniaaust1

Seriously To the music of "The sound of music" How do we treat a boy like Wayne Kerr"

I have had serious thoughts on this, hand cuffing myself to the Westminster railings naked, but then the police have guns and Wessley's just up the road and I would have been committed to the Maudsley hosp, also some one might come along with an iron.

ohhh lol.. be careful.. he may drown you.

My friends and I have been pains at the APPG trying to say our bit and ignored by the MP's suposed to support us . Our questions put on the back burner, that is not even alight.
So for my next foray into the evil house of Westminster, I am waiting for ideas that will make such an impact , before the ideas get to whacky, remember London is cold in November when the new APPG starts, and I can only go if the powers that be let the public in (thats me I joe public) because it has been known that the labour APPG I think it was four of maybe five years ago, we the ME people did not get in to the APPG. I think it was RIME and some others made a protest, so we could go.

Can always have a public protest outside the place if they dont let you in.. with big signs. Get some good public attention at the very least when they wonder what is going on.

ukxmrv

Muffin, can you please explain what you mean by the above "here we go again"...

When I say that this forum is not representative of the UK campaigning scene I mean that we (UK) are a diverse group of different people, in different places and all doing different things. I don't mean that in any way as a slight to this forum or any people on it.

People out of this forum are writing to MP's, visiting them, writing to newspapers, TV, researchers and just because you (or anyone) may not see that reported here it doesn't mean that it isn't happening. That's what I was trying to say.

Are you under the impression that we are not doing that and if so, what it your comment based on?

Some very disabled and ill people in the UK are doing just as you mentioned right now. However, they are probably not reporting it here on this forum in it's entirety. They deserve some acknowlegment. Although the UK papers may ignore their letters and refuse to cover their protests (as they do), the UK people still keep going. They just don't always come to this forum to talk about it.

ukxmrv

Tania, no worries. People in the UK are emailing, writing etc etc as we type. What I was trying to say is that the effort isn't being co-ordinated here or anywhere obvious so you may not see it/know it.

I'm not trying to send business to another site (not sure where you got that idea from?). I'm not involved in any forum war or keen to join one.

Just speaking up for the many UK people who are already doing things. It's a silent unreported group and they need a pat on the back. They have the newspaper addresses and are on to it in the way they have been for decades.

muffin

UKXMRV: Sorry but right now my head is hurting so bad I can't think or understand what you are asking me. Really. Sorry, just tried reading your comment again and I still don't get what you are asking.
I am aware that the people in the UK are doing their very best to be heard. My fear was that you and others were trying to get people to not step out of liine and speak or do on their own, but instead as a group.
Now do you understand what I mean? And yes, as an American I am concerned about what happens to you all in the UK and have tried to help as well. I got nailed for that since I was not a Brit, but, I thought it was wonderful when my Brit/Canadian/Australian friends here were going and beating on the CDC and joining in the US fight. WE all must be united since this is a universal disease and what happens in one country does have affects on all other countries. If a failed test is done in Germany, for example, that affects us all. But also, we must do what we alone think is best - without hurting the cause.

Again, head hurting so I don't understand what you are asking of me. But do you understand what I am trying to say?

ukxmrv

Hi Muffin, I remember that earlier episode and I didn't support what was said to you. I'm really grateful for all the lone voices and actions. We have people everywhere in the UK acting now as best they can.

I think what happened is that I inadvertantly made you think of what happened earlier and that just occured to me. Sorry to open old wounds (didn't think of it and didn't mean to) and sorry about the sore head.

muffin

Thank you UKXMRV

That's exactly what I thought was going on! How smart of you to realize and remember!

My head hurts so bad I could chop it off. Sorry if I didn't understand what you were saying, but again, I simply can't think straight and tried to figure out numbers for the past hour and just could not see the screen.

Yup, you got it right! But now I do think we all see that there must be a worldwide united front. The US people can not do it alone. The UK, Canadians, and Australians and all others can not fight their own governments alone. We all have to help eachother every chance we can. So, if that means that my buddy V99 responds to CDC's stupidity, I am just so pleased and appreciative (she's great). If the Americans and Canadians help take down that Weasel (which personally I would just LOVE to see happen asap for what he has done to the UK sick), then we do what needs to be done there as well.
One HUGE united front to finally deal with this god-awful disease. I would not wish this on my worst enemy but I have to admit, NOW I would indeed give several pints to Reeves and Weasel and the others who have played a sick role in keeping millions bedbound, homebound, poor, and depressed from their loss of any real life.

Thank goodness you remembered and understood what was going on in my mind!!! Thanks!!!

taniaaust1

Tania, no worries. People in the UK are emailing, writing etc etc as we type. What I was trying to say is that the effort isn't being co-ordinated here or anywhere obvious so you may not see it/know it.

I'm not trying to send business to another site (not sure where you got that idea from?). I'm not involved in any forum war or keen to join one.

Just speaking up for the many UK people who are already doing things. It's a silent unreported group and they need a pat on the back. They have the newspaper addresses and are on to it in the way they have been for decades.

When I say that this forum is not representative of the UK campaigning scene I mean that we (UK) are a diverse group of different people, in different places and all doing different things. I don't mean that in any way as a slight to this forum or any people on it.

Ahh sorry.. I see i have taken your posts wrongly. Im a bit sensitive right now as I recently got taken the wrong way by someone due to the two forum issues and thought you were doing the same thing and judging me wrongly. (some are believing all advocacy should be done on other forum or something and its causing rifts at this site, people who arent biased are being accused of things by ones from other site... Im realise now im on like hyperalert, thinking im going to be attacked any moment). Anyway.. i see your posts now, the way they got off track from my original post confused me.

I think muffin was just confused too in light of things which have been going on.

I dont think i did any wrong by not patting those in the UK on the back (everyone EVERYWHERE is currently working hard on changing things) so im sorry you took some offense to that. (I have Asperger's and maybe i dont stroke egos enough.. i dont know **shrugs** (I find it hard to understand the point of patting people on the back.. we are all big boys and girls.. grown ups)

I was only trying to encourage more Advocacy .. and yeah of cause everyone does do it there own ways.. but i still dont understand why you had an issue at someone encouraging Advocacy. Im well aware of the effort people are going too all over. Anyway im still confused by why my post was an issue hence causing comments like i was doing something wrong.. but peace... i have no issues with you. :)

I was just trying to encourage advocacy and thought i was being attacked for doing that. Sorry.

Can we please get back to the original post

To the original poster.. i appologise for messing up your thread. I thought it was soo creative and funny :) . Thanks

awol

(some are believing all advocacy should be done on other forum or something and its causing rifts at this site, people who arent biased are being accused of things by ones from other site... Im realise now im on like hyperalert, thinking im going to be attacked any moment).

Noone believes this at all, and it is you that keeps bringing up the tension between the two forums. It is also you that is misiterpreting the words of others and spreading untruths about them by making these statements. Now you have me jumpy! What is the point? ABSOLUTELY NOONE HAS CLAIMED ALL ADVOCACY SHOULD HAPPEN THERE. I have simply said that MY project, the one I am trying to put together, should happen where I am, in an environment in which I am comfortable. That environment is not here.

Just STOP arguing about the forums, and you will see that these disputes will go away!