• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Combo rituximab and thalidomide analogues stimulate nk function

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Summary
The immunomodulatory drugs (IMiDs) lenalidomide and actimid (also
known as CC-4047) are thalidomide analogues which are more potent than
their parental compound. In combination with rituximab, we have previously
demonstrated that IMiDs have synergistic in vivo anti-tumour activity in
preclinical studies in a human lymphoma severe combined
immunodeficiency mouse model. This report further explored the
mechanisms by which IMiDs exert their anti-lymphoma effects. Following
exposure of subcutaneous lymphoma tumours in murine models to IMiDs,
there was a significant increase in the recruitment of natural killer (NK) cells
to tumour sites. This increase in NK cells was mediated via stimulation of
dendritic cells and modification of the cytokine microenvironment associated
with an increase in monocyte chemotactic protein-1, tumour necrosis factora
and interferon-c and probably augmented rituximab-associated antibodydependent
cellular cytotoxicity. IMiDs also had significant anti-angiogenic
effects in our B-cell lymphoma models. Thus, by modulation of the immune
system mediated via dendritic cells and NK cells, changing the cytokine
milieu, as well as by their anti-angiogenic effects, IMiDs in combination with
rituximab resulted in augmented in vivo anti-tumour effects against B-cell
lymphoma. Our positive preclinical data adds additional support for the
evaluation of IMiDs plus rituximab in patients with relapsed/refractory B-cell
lymphoma.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2141.2007.06841.x/pdf

If auto-immune or not, increasing nk function is going to help cfs/me if chronic infections are the cause. Interesting finding research showing correlations with nk function and ritux. Im thinking there is a very strong overlap of viral infections and auto-immune diseases, i just wonder if/when cfs/me mystery is solved if it will also solve other conditions and auto-immune illnesses??

cheers!!

niall

I read with interest your information on Thalidomide analogues. When I saw Dr. Klimas in 2006, Thalidomide was one of the drugs mentioned in her assessment of how to treat my illness. She never discussed putting me on it though, but prescribed Imunovir as the least toxic approach.

heapsreal

Interesting niall, i have also read about thalidomide in the book, 'reviving the broken marrionette' which was pre the recent rituximab study. I think alot of these things have already been researched but need to be done several times(or hundreds) before its taken as gosspel.

How did imunovir effect you??

cheers!!!

niall

Interesting niall, i have also read about thalidomide in the book, 'reviving the broken marrionette' which was pre the recent rituximab study. I think alot of these things have already been researched but need to be done several times(or hundreds) before its taken as gosspel.

How did imunovir effect you??

cheers!!!

The first time I took it for the six months, I got most of my energy back and significant reduction in muscle pain but continued to have the reddened irritated throat. That lasted about seven months then a sudden return to my original symptoms. The last time I took it (I finished in August) I only got a modest increase in energy while continuing to have head aches, pulsating in head, sore throat and myalgia.

heapsreal

The first time I took it for the six months, I got most of my energy back and significant reduction in muscle pain but continued to have the reddened irritated throat. That lasted about seven months then a sudden return to my original symptoms. The last time I took it (I finished in August) I only got a modest increase in energy while continuing to have head aches, pulsating in head, sore throat and myalgia.

did your nk function and or numbers increase??