• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Combination of immunoglobulins and natural killer cells in the context of CMV and EBV infection

Ema

Med Microbiol Immunol. 2014 Apr;203(2):115-23. doi: 10.1007/s00430-013-0321-2. Epub 2013 Dec 15.
Combination of immunoglobulins and natural killer cells in the context of CMV and EBV infection.
Frenzel K1, Lehmann J, Krüger DH, Martin-Parras L, Uharek L, Hofmann J.
Author information

Abstract
Cytomegalovirus (CMV)-specific hyperimmunoglobulin (CMV-HIG) is used to treat and prevent CMV infection in immunocompromised patients, and anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody is successfully used in the treatment for post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease caused by Epstein-Barr virus (EBV).

Two immunological approaches have been suggested to further improve the control of viral reproduction in patients with active disease: first, the use of monoclonal antibodies with specificity against viral epitopes and second, coadministration of cells with the capacity to promote antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity.

Here, we have evaluated the effectiveness of these strategies in vitro (alone and in combination) with neutralization and cytotoxicity assays. Our results indicate that monoclonal antibodies (in particular SM5-1) can be as effective as CMV-HIG in neutralizing-cell-free CMV.

Moreover, our data indicate that antibody-mediated elimination (either by moAb or by HIG) of EBV-infected cells can be significantly enhanced by NK cells. Using human NK cells that have been purified, cultured and expanded under GMP conditions, we were able to demonstrate that the combination of NK cells and antibodies could represent a feasible and highly effective clinical approach to achieve control of EBV infections.

Especially in leukopenic patients with low numbers of ADCC-promoting cells, the combination of adoptively transferred NK cells and antiviral antibodies offers a promising strategy that should be tested in clinical trials.

PMID:

[PubMed - in process]

tdog333

Have you tried Transfer Factor or Pro-Boost? They do similar, I think there are certain transfer factors that are more effective at certain strains.

Martial

I wonder how this ties in with things like non hodgkins lymphoma.. From my understanding long term infections such as these can often trigger it due to the constant creation and demand of leukocyte cells, and lymph system complications?