• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Colonoscopy: Yes or no?

barbc56

. The asked me to change position a couple of times to help them get the tube round various corners.
Hopefully, the corners weren't at a 90 degree angle! :woot:

Definitely sounds like a colonoscopy.

I pity the poor doctors* who do these procedures all day. I think they can say with confidence that their patients are a$$holes.

* I don't pity the big bucks they make.:rolleyes:

Gingergrrl

@ahmo, Without going too off-track, do you have access of info on anesthesia resources for other illnesses or only for post polio syndrome? I can ask you via PM if easier but wasn't sure if the info would be helpful for anyone else? Are there any general websites on this topic?

OKay
The prep is picolax. Anyone heard of it?

I had Picolax before mine, It worked fast and was efficient at its job.

It was before I got ME, but i was very ill at the time, if that's any help. It seemed to take 3-4 visits then all done. No pain, just not a lot of warning.

You lot are crazy! Watching on screen??? I'm glad I had the full anaesthetic for mine.

Apparently I talked a load of nonsense before I woke up, then was given a cup of tea and a biscuit.

The Nurse who held my had through my sigmoidoscopy, well what an angel :love:. Some people deserve good things to happen to them.

douglasmich

http://www.melbournefmt.com.au/fmt_procedure.html
""Our practice is to administer the very first faecal transplant via a colonoscopy. This only needs to be done once. All the remaining transplants will be performed by rectal enema.

The reason we believe colonoscopy is so important when commencing remicrobialisation is that it allows us to seed the very top of the colon with the new microbiota. This is a critical area to repopulate with good bacteria. It is a long way up the colon, being almost one metre away from the anus and it is where the distal small bowel called the terminal ileum joins the end of the large bowel called the caecum and where the appendix sits.

These three areas, the caecum, the appendix and the terminal ileum are believed to be very important reservoirs or storage houses of good gut bacteria that can be called upon to reconstitute the gut microbiota after an injury such as antibiotics.

The enema FMTs are very effective at implanting a new microbiota but they cannot reach this far up the colon. Therefore, there is concern that enema only FMT may not implant the good bacteria up this far and may miss the ileum, appendix and the caecum. For this reason, we encourage everybody commencing an FMT program to kick off the process of microbiota replacement with the first FMT being performed via a colonoscope.

This will ensure the entire colonic and ileal regions are seeded with the new microbiota. This is the strong recommendation and practice of Prof Tom Borody of CDD, who invented FMT and has achieved the most consistent results to date. We adopt the same opinion. Following your colonoscopy and first FMT all further FMTs will be via enema.""

Last edited by a moderator:

barbc56

You lot are crazy! Watching on screen??? I'm glad I had the full anaesthetic for mine

Finally someone who has brilliant insight into this. Well insight as for me and itsall about me isn't it? :lol:

I had the twilight sleep. It didn't make me feel sick afterwards but I did sleep most of the time for about about three days after. I also had to have someone in the waiting room during the procedural. When she went for lunch she had to carry a pager. I wasn't alive to drive going home and she had to stay for eight hours aterwards though she could have left without me knowing as I slept the whole time.

For my first procedure a friend dropped me off and I called her when I was ready to go home. Still couldn't drive home but she wasn't required to stay with me but just call a couple of times to see how I was doing. The rules have probably chaned to prevent being sued but that's only speculation on my part.

I just now realized what FMT stands for. :bang-head:

ahmo

@ahmo, Without going too off-track, do you have access of info on anesthesia resources for other illnesses or only for post polio syndrome? I can ask you via PM if easier but wasn't sure if the info would be helpful for anyone else? Are there any general websites on this topic?
no, I only have this due to DH having PPS. But you might be able to frame a question for search engine that gets you more info.

ghosalb

I reacted to the solution I had to drink the night before the colonoscopy - racing heart, hands and feet felt tingly weird, vision narrowed, blood pressure dropped - felt really messed up, on the verge of having to call an ambulance - then all those symptoms lifted when I felt the solution 'turn a corner' in my GI tract - I had a much less intense reaction when I had the rest of the solution in the morning.

For the procedure, they gave me 'twilight' - I did not experience any after effects - and would request that again.
I reacted to the solution I had to drink the night before the colonoscopy - racing heart, hands and feet felt tingly weird, vision narrowed, blood pressure dropped - felt really messed up, on the verge of having to call an ambulance - then all those symptoms lifted when I felt the solution 'turn a corner' in my GI tract - I had a much less intense reaction when I had the rest of the solution in the morning.

For the procedure, they gave me 'twilight' - I did not experience any after effects - and would request that again.
Hi ScottTriGuy - I am at activity level 1-2 and planning for a colonoscopy..... I was wondering how was your health i.e, activity level when you got yours done ? thank you. I did an endoscopy few years back when I was at 3-4 level and was ok.
If anyone else got it done at 1-2 level, would like to know/please advice....thanks.

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Hi ScottTriGuy - I am at activity level 1-2 and planning for a colonoscopy..... I was wondering how was your health i.e, activity level when you got yours done ?

I would say I was about a 5 / 10...I can walk up one flight of stairs without symptoms, but not 2 flights in a row...I have to stop after the first floor and count to 12 before tackling the next flight.

I felt great after the procedure so treated myself to a sugary drink - the exact wrong thing my empty GI tract needed - I've since cut way back on my sugar consumption and that has helped minimize symptoms.