• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Colonoscopy - can it change the flora or cause loose bowel?

Peyt

Hi,
I had a colonoscopy done over a month ago and since then I have been having loose bowel.
It's strange because prior to this colonoscopy I had usually had constipation....

My question is: can a simple colonoscopy change the gut flora or create loose bowel?
I just started eating yogurt today to see if that helps.
Your suggestions/comments are appreciated

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Id like to know. I did read that they can't see bacteria but if it removed a lot during the prep maybe.?

Maybe start slamming probiotics too and and good flora. More than you can get in yogurt

My last one 5 years ago I had no issues.

Peyt

I had an appointment today with my ND and he said it's pretty common that the solution they had me drink the day before Colonoscopy wiped out alot of the good bacteria... He suggested I get on a probiotic called VSL#3 which I just bought and will try.... I remember 7 years ago when I had my colonoscopy the Dr. did not have me take that solution prior and I did not have any of these post-colonoscopy problems so what my ND said totally makes sense........