Wanted by Llewellyn King: Member of Congress to take up the ME/CFS cause
Sasha reports on Llewellyn King’s campaign to find a lone Congress member to do the right thing ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Collagen Protocol for Joint Pain (possibly from Lyme?)

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Lotus97, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Stephen Buhner, author of Healing Lyme and a new book on coinfections bartonella and mycoplasma, has a collagen building protocol. I have a couple of questions.

One of the things he recommends is pregnenolone. The dosages he recommends seem kind of high (50-200 mg). Is that normal to take that much pregnenolone?

Another thing he recommends is silicon as orthosilicic acid such as BioSil. Swanson is selling a bamboo extract that's standardized to 70% silica.
    http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-superior-herbs-bamboo-extract-300-mg-60-veg-caps
    There are also other companies that are selling silica from bamboo extract, but not much more expensive than Swanson's. The bamboo extracts have a much higher amount of silica so it seems like it would be a lot cheaper to use that, but I was wondering if it's the same thing as Biosil or Flora's vegetal silica since those are so much for expensive.

2. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Is someone doing the Buhner protocol for collagen support (for lyme and co) ?
    @Lotus97 have you done it ? with which results and products ?

3. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

Hi, @Lotus97. I take Jarrowsil because Biosil has choline, which can sometimes give me sleep problems. Here's the Jarrowsil description:

http://www.jarrow.com/product/491/JarroSil

I also take Great Lakes Collagen powder. Both these supplements help me somewhat with joint pain, but not as much as other things. They are both thought to help with bone health, so that's the main reason I continue taking them.

I started them around the same time, so I don't know which is the main contributor, but my hair has grown much more wavy. I like that for the most part although I'm not quite sure how wavy hair works yet as far as styling goes. Also, my fingernails are healthier now.

4. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Thanks for your answer @perchance dreamer , I hesitate between the colloidal silica (like in the Hubner original silica) and the orthosilicilic acid form (i.e bioactive silicon) as it appears in the jarrosil.
    On the one hand the later is said to be more absorbed, but I am frightened of any use of silicon in body. Is it totally safe ?

5. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I'm not sure if it helped or not. I still haven't found the cause/treatment for pain in my hands. Sometimes it's fine and then it gets bad again. I try to limit activity as much as possible, but it's hard to stay off the computer.

Hanna likes this.
  6. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

The mineral silica. I found it very beneficial, and the only water that satiates my thirst is silica-rich water to which I have no access here where I live right now. I don't feel the benefits anymore, probably due to lack of co-factors.

Hanna likes this.
  7. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Thanks for your reply @Lotus97 and @Gondwanaland and for the interesting link. I am going to test the Hubner silica and will report.

Gondwanaland likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.