Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

collagen depletion

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by Nick Michalak, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Nick Michalak

Nick Michalak

hey all,

I've had CFS type symptoms (mainly a sleep disorder) since mid 2012. With melatonin and herbal antivirals and sleep meds (zopiclone) my symptoms were largely under control until mid 2014, when I went through a bout of sudden weight loss and increased fatigue.

I lost a lot of muscle and, more troublingly, collagen. My skin became loose and I developed wrinkles. Also, ever since that time my skin has been slow to heal from any and all wounds. Minor scratches turn into scars.

I've gone through a recent bout of symptoms and am awaiting test results for autoimmunity. Has anyone else been through this sort of thing, ie rapid aging? And if so, what can be done. Thanks,

Rlman likes this.
  2. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    Yes! I think this is the first I've seen someone bring up this issue. My skin has aged greatly since getting ill - wrinkles and looseness. I'd also be really interested in hearing theories as to why this might be.

3. WoolPippi

WoolPippi Senior Member

Netherlands
    I'm sure you've educated yourself about collagen. I haven't (sorry) but I just encountered this post that mentions that vit C is vital for collagen. Do you know about this? edit: oh, the thread veers off into scurvy. I doubt the vit. C/collagen connection now.
    EDIT: I revised my doubt. Wikipedia says vit C is needed for trnasformation of Glycine and Proline into collagen. And cortisol degrades collagen formation. Stress is an enemy of collagen.

"Collagen has an unusual amino acid composition and sequence:

• Glycine is found at almost every third residue.
    • Proline makes up about 17% of collagen.
    • Collagen contains two uncommon derivative amino acids not directly inserted during translation. These amino acids are found at specific locations relative to glycine and are modified post-translationally by different enzymes, both of which require vitamin C as a cofactor.
    Cortisol stimulates degradation of (skin) collagen into amino acids.[17]"

Also: I eat lots of collagen. Dr. Kwasniewski emphasizes it in Optimal Diet so I thought I'd follow. Lots of gelatine and broth. It feels good but I suspect this is because gelatine is easily absorbed in the gut. It feels like a comfort food.

did your test results shed any light on collagen depletion?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    wastwater likes this.
  4. WoolPippi

WoolPippi Senior Member

Netherlands
    While looking at other things collagen I keep encountering collagen. I'm just going to park some things here, to mull over. Three things: Taurine, Glycine and Fat.

looking at things for the liver the amino acid Taurine comes up: it's in every tissue, just a little bit. But it's 35% of collagen.
    Also it has to do with cysteine and with the Methylation cycle. So I was thinking: PwME often have trouble with the Methylation Cycle and liver function. Taurine could be a link between that and your collagen issue.

The other thing for the liver is Glycine. Which is connected to collagen too, says dr. Google.

Fat: last century dr. Budwig was the one who researched fat. She found out how long after ingesting fat shows up in the skin (=connection with collagen). She determined that emulsified fats are more easily digested (whipped cream vs. butter).
    I'm here to mention that digested fat does not go through liver detox first, first port of call is the lymph system. Flowing through all those nodes, doing all kinds of things for the immune system. After that it gets dumped into the blood stream and travels to the liver for detox. (of course to digest fat one needs bile which is produced by the liver)
    train of thought = fat - digestion - immune system - liver - skin
    It's all connected.

helen1 likes this.
  5. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
  6. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Years ago, when people in the US were being urged to eat margarine instead of butter, the chef Julia Childs said that if people quit eating butter it would ruin their skin.

L'engle likes this.
  7. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Budwig diet might give that a try
    Didn't know that proline was so important in collagen

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017

See more popular forum discussions.