• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coliforms & protazoa in water? SIBO

jess100

Hi everyone,

My tenant had my well water tested and the results came back very high in coliforms. I bought this house in 2010 and my symptoms came on about a year after that so I have suspected molds at various points. Now I'm wondering about the water.
Apparently the coliforms generally aren't dangerous but are indicators that the water has been compromised and other things have entered.

I found this in a study
Most water-borne human pathogens cause infections and human disease via ingestion of fecal contaminated water or food. Various human parasites and pathogens are transmitted in this way, including protozoa, virus and bacteria, transmitted via human fecal contamination of water used for drinking, bathing, recreation, harvesting of shellfish, or washing/preparation of foods.

I'm wondering if this could be the cause of SIBO. I'm also wondering if the protozoas could be the cause of Babesia (instead of a tick bite) Does anyone have insight into either of these possibilities ?

The article also talked about airborne water problems and I'm adding this in case it helps anyone.

Additionally, some water-borne pathogens are transmitted via contaminated aerosols and enter the human body through the respiratory tract. Legionella pneumophila, the causative agent of legionellosis fatal respiratory pneumonia infection know as Legionnaire's Disease, is transmitted in this manner. Warm stationary domestic water found in air conditioner cooling towers, inadequately chlorinated swimming pools and spas, hot water heaters, respiratory therapy equipment and shower heads, have been identified as sources of Legionella infectious outbreaks.

jess100

Ok I'm replying to my own post..And hoping someone will join in and give an opinion.

I asked my doctor about the water test and he said it's possible it lead to the SIBO, and it would be prudent to have my water tested for parasites like giardia, viruses, and even contaminants like heavy metals.

I had not thought of heavy metals. Has anyone looked into the possibility of heavy metals ?

Any suggestions about which metals I should test for? This lab can check for 27 metals (at $20 each) so I'd like to test only for those that are likely to cause a problem (ie zinc and potassium probably wouldn't cause a problem)

barbc56

What lab are you referring?

I'm not sure where you live but in the states, you should not have to pay if you want to get your water tested.

Well, unintended pun discovered later, you learn something new every day and this basically sucks.

Well Testing
Overview
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) rules that protect public drinking water systems do not apply to individual water systems, such as privately owned wells. As an individual water system owner, it is up to you to make sure that your water is safe to drink.

That’s absurd. You should be guaranteed the water you drink, won't harm you. Especially, in light of contamination from such things as run off water from fertilized fields that also contain insecticides and FRACKING, which the government subsidizes either directly or indirectly.

Here is information about what needs to be tested.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/testing.htmlhttp://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/testing.html

More about private wells as well as informative links such as well water and those who are immunocompromized.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/

Good luck!

Barb

I know that arsenic is fairly common where I live...others that are typical are selenium, chromium, cadmium, lead and mercury.

It's not uncommon to find these meatals in well water,but it's uncommon to find them at toxic levels.