• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

COLDS and VIRUSES as part of STARTUP

Freddd

Here I am almost 9 years in and going through another round of startup. Like others I have suddenly come down with the first colds and such I have had in decades. I had let my proportion of 5 star mb12 slip too low for my CNS penetrating doses. I decided to try the 50mg test and boy did it hit me all over again, a new round of CNS startup. At the same time I have managed to keep out of paradoxical folate deficiency enough that I haven't had IBS for almost 2 months now, just a few hints of cheilitis which allowed me to take corrective action quickly enough.

Just as I had a series of colds and miscellaneous viruses in the first 6 months after starting I am having number 2 such episode in the past 2 months. My question, as others have been asking is What has been changing that now I am having these colds and things? I know that the folate brings down hypersensitivity to all sorts of things. Are these current illnesses then a result of returning to normal immune system from one that was hyper? Or is it now reacting to viruses that it wasn't able to take on previously.

Others have mentioned about such colds and such. I am having the first stuffy sinuses in decades. Is this from another induced deficiency now that finally for the first time in my life I have enough folate to stay out of deficiency? Or is this indeed a better normal working immune system. For decades there has been wonder about a little acknowledged phenominon, that heroin addicts had relatively few colds and flu. That was attributed to some protective effect of the opioid. I'm wondering it maybe it wasn't caused by a poor diet lacking folate and/or b12 and making the immune system hypersensitive.

I have lots of questions and no answers about how this could be casued.

Pea

Are these current illnesses then a result of returning to normal immune system from one that was hyper?
I was thinking this same thing about my friend - he very seldom gets a cold or the flu; I'm wondering if his auto-immune system has been in overdrive. And maybe that's what is causing the head mucous issues (it's not your itchy, head-cold type).

Will be interesting to hear others chime in.

brenda

No needtosuffer colds and flu whatever the cause - a clove of raw garlic at the immediate onset does the trick.