• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Colds and Symptoms

So, still trying to figure out for sure if I fit CFS criteria, when I noticed I got a small cold the other day, and felt I had some more energy-- this happen to anyone else? It's almost like I had more adrenaline maybe. This seemed odd to me, wanted to know if it's pretty normal, considering how nothing is 2D with disease.

Tammy

Yes! When I do come down with a cold which doesn't happen very often I feel better overall. I know this sounds weird. I remember when my CFS doctor told me that when I started getting colds again.....it was a good sign.

Seven7

Seven
When I have colds I feel 100% CFS free, usually only last one day or so, I don't hold a cold for more than 2 or 3 days and when I do get one, I LOVE IT. I also feel better the second day till the end of my period.

I guess the big question for us then is..what are the mechanisms involved giving us this temporary respite.

Its strange, because I almost feel awake to the point of being on a stimulant with them...the downside is feeling almost
to the point of being hyper, making sleep difficult.

Adster

I feel markedly improved when I catch a head cold. I suspect many of us have Th2 dominant autoimmune issues, and that perhaps catching a cold either puts the immune system's resources to work elsewhere and reduces Th2 overactivity, or Th1 is stimulated and the system is more "balanced". I'm sure that in reality it's much more complex that that though!